Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mod the squad!

edited October 2016 in General Charlton
There've been a number of posts along the lines on 'with this squad we should be pushing for promotion'.
Do you agree? Not sure if I do.

Personally I think the squad is way too thin, particularly in midfield. And we probably have too many mediocre players.
So with the transfer window on the horizon, here's my take on it; those I'd keep, those I'd sell.

And I think we should be aiming to buy (or should be 'investing in') Championship quality players to fill the gaps. Otherwise we could face years struggling in the bottom two divisions. Aaaagh!

KEEP
Rudd
Solly
Konsa
Pearce
Bauer
Teixeira
Ulvestad
Holmes
Kashi
Lookman
Botaka
Magennis
Hanlan
Ajose

POSSIBLY SELL
Jackson (or give him a coaching role?)
Fox (or keep as squad player, because he shows promise?)

SELL
Ba
Johnson
Foley
Lennon
Novak
Crofts

If squad players aren't mentioned above, it's because I don't know enough about them, or they're ones for the future. Presumably keep these.
I imagine the regime wouldn't dream of funding this because it would be an admission that their experiment (network players, youth development) has failed.

Jim Dutton

Comments

• Options

Getting Slade out of the way would be a good start.

He looked like the man with no neck when he left the pitch yesterday, trying to hide in his jacket.
    He won't be around much longer.
  • Options

Getting Slade out of the way would be a good start.

He looked like the man with no neck when he left the pitch yesterday, trying to hide in his jacket.
    He won't be around much longer.
    His body language was appaling yesterday. His post match comments weren't much better. He looks a broken man.

Dead man walking (but I guess the same could be said for anybody who managed us under the Belgians)
  • Options
    No chance in hell of us selling Crofts or Novak. Foley out of contract in January and I can't see us selling Lennon.

We need 3 more players, 2 central midfielders who are young and dynamic, one that likes to break play up and another that likes to shoot from distance and play strikers in with through balls. The other player we need is either a left winger so Lookman can play up front, or a pacy striker and we teach Lookman how to defend as well as attack and make him a proper left winger.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

No chance in hell of us selling Crofts or Novak. Foley out of contract in January and I can't see us selling Lennon.

We need 3 more players, 2 central midfielders who are young and dynamic, one that likes to break play up and another that likes to shoot from distance and play strikers in with through balls. The other player we need is either a left winger so Lookman can play up front, or a pacy striker and we teach Lookman how to defend as well as attack and make him a proper left winger.

I think Holmes is more effective on left wing and would like to see Botaka start on Right with Lookman or Ajose in partnership with Magennis.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Gosh....do we now want this regime to rebuild the squad in January now as well as summer. The SMT have proven themselves incompetent at signing anyone.

The only likely outcome is more out, nobody in and more youngsters thrust into the shop window.

Lookman bound to be sold.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    i'm sure Lennon is a good player who would benefit from continuous gametime.

I am totally opposed to the sacking of Slade and I think his removal is in conflict with many of the aims of our protests.
  • Options
    I am also against any sacking of Slade who is too negative too often but is still not rubbish at this level.

-I've not seen ulvestad play well yet in person but he sounds like he is getting into it. Slade signing.

Magenniss seems many peoples candidate for man of the match many games. Slade signing.

Crofts and Foley, hmmm.

Clearly Foley was stop gap as only has a contract until January. Shame he's not any good.

Crofts disappointing.

Still don't get why people hate Fox so much. He's young, he's still improving, he's being often asked to do two roles with no cover from his forward flank player. He's pushed into CB (crazy by the way Bruss, probably the one point at which I thought we may be better off with someone who had a tactical clue and no contacts) and doesn't perform.

Having said that apparently fox had a shocker this week. Was it also due to Lookman not giving a flying about his position?
  • Options

i'm sure Lennon is a good player who would benefit from continuous gametime.

I am totally opposed to the sacking of Slade and I think his removal is in conflict with many of the aims of our protests.

Genuine question: how so?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jdmotion said:

There've been a number of posts along the lines on 'with this squad we should be pushing for promotion'.
    Do you agree? Not sure if I do.

Personally I think the squad is way too thin, particularly in midfield. And we probably have too many mediocre players.
    So with the transfer window on the horizon, here's my take on it; those I'd keep, those I'd sell.

And I think we should be aiming to buy (or should be 'investing in') Championship quality players to fill the gaps. Otherwise we could face years struggling in the bottom two divisions. Aaaagh!

KEEP
    Rudd
    Solly
    Konsa
    Pearce
    Bauer
    Teixeira
    Ulvestad
    Holmes
    Kashi
    Lookman
    Botaka
    Magennis
    Hanlan
    Ajose

POSSIBLY SELL
    Jackson (or give him a coaching role?)
    Fox (or keep as squad player, because he shows promise?)

SELL
    Ba
    Johnson
    Foley
    Lennon
    Novak
    Crofts

If squad players aren't mentioned above, it's because I don't know enough about them, or they're ones for the future. Presumably keep these.
    I imagine the regime wouldn't dream of funding this because it would be an admission that their experiment (network players, youth development) has failed.

Jim Dutton

I'm disagreeing with myself now. Crofts has won me over, and Novak is looking decent cover for Magennis, at least.
  • Options
    Crofts has won me over to be fair.
  • Options
    Novak could be cover for a tennis court with that tum.