Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ajose Charltonised?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

What are odds we will get rid of him next summer after a poor season then he will bang in 20+ for the next club he signs for.

Oh its already guaranteed.
  • Options
    People comparing Ajose to Reza.. Reza has 5 goals in 10 games in the Dutch Eredvise this season... certainly charltonised!
  • Options
    Ajose is the result of a scouting function that consists of reviewing the top scorer lists from the previous season.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Seems like he is trying too hard to make things happen. The header that he put wide was more difficult than folks on here make out as the defender got a slight touch as it came through. Should have buried the one on one though and his touch when passing looks like he is thinking about it too much instead letting his natural ability take over. I'd stick with Mag and Ajose up top.
  • Options
    I think it's fallacious that we say Ajose is a proven goalscorer, or anything like that. A quick scan of his stats reveals an interesting career trajectory:

- Breakthrough (ish) season at Bury in 2010/11, where he gets 13 in 32 at the age of 18/19 in League Two.
    - Signs for Peterborough. Farmed out on loan. One goal in the 2011/12 season, from two loan spells in League One and 19 appearances
    - At Crawley Town and Bury in his two spells in the 2012/13 season, he scores 7 in 41 in all competitions.
    - 2013/14 is slightly better: 17 goals in 45 appearances. Conversion rate of one in two for Swindon; just shy of 1 in 3 for P'boro.
    - Signs for Leeds in 2014/15. Plays just three games for them; out on loan to Crewe in L1 where he gets 8 in 27.
    - All clicks last season with 25(?) goals for Swindon.

So I think what we see here is essentially only Swindon set up for how he likes to play. Or, given the nature of his goals, he got "lucky" that over one season he was able to put away so many chances in those close range situations.

For me, I'm leaning towards "he's a poacher and at the moment hasn't looked like a very good one" (should have buried that first chance), but there's time for him to prove me wrong.

But I wouldn't say he's a proven goalscorer or anything of the sort. Probably the closest we have to one of those, but not outright proven.
  • Options
    Consider the off the pitch part of it. He is relatively young and away from friends and family, still living in a hotel? Away from his girlfriend? He has been seen at charlton station after games so can he drive? In and out if the team. It's probably got to him a bit. Whenever he has started, he has had chances. Soon he will take them. Reza scored 5 in two years? McClown not much better. Ajose will get one and go on a run, he will be our top scorer and get double figures. Most players take time to settle in, give him a break
  • Options
    he'll come good ... only the width of a post denied him on Saturday .. he looks to me to be the clichéd 'natural scorer', especially at this level
  • Options
    Think the pressure is getting to him, signed as our early marquee signing and that comes with a lot of pressure. He's snatching at his chances but I think he does care, he was fired up after being dropped and that was evident at Gillingham. What Slade absolutely cannot do now is drop him after Saturday, he needs a run of games to get in the groove and sticking him back on the bench will just crush his confidence. Swindon away against his old team is an ideal place to really kickstart his season, though with a new strike partner.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Give him a break, needs to play in an attacking side, and pick up on loose balls and mistakes in their penalty area. Unfortunately for him, they only seem to happen in ours !

Given a chance he will turn it on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have our medical team got hold of him yet and worked their magic?

That'll really Charltonise him...
  • Options
    The excuse that hes not really getting the service doesnt fly with me. Hes missed multiple chances now that he would have stuck away last season.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Thread can be closed now lol ;)
  • Options
    I hope this is the new 'Jackson has lost his legs' thread.
  • Options

Consider the off the pitch part of it. He is relatively young and away from friends and family, still living in a hotel? Away from his girlfriend? He has been seen at charlton station after games so can he drive? In and out if the team. It's probably got to him a bit. Whenever he has started, he has had chances. Soon he will take them. Reza scored 5 in two years? McClown not much better. Ajose will get one and go on a run, he will be our top scorer and get double figures. Most players take time to settle in, give him a break

He definitely has been Charltonised!

Seriously, it does often happen that a striker had a golden season which earns them a move, when the player struggles to replicate their form
  • Options
    Yep hes proven himself at the highest level after tonight.
  • Options
    I didn't realise we were playing!

CAFC Twitter feed says he took the mic on CAFCPlayer after he was subbed off?!
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I didn't realise we were playing!

CAFC Twitter feed says he took the mic on CAFCPlayer after he was subbed off?!

I heard it. He was pretty good. We didn't really commentate but had good chat with terry.. called 2 of the penalties correctly. which corner they old be put in etc. So obviously work on them in training. Including the youth teams..
  • Options

he'll come good ... only the width of a post denied him on Saturday .. he looks to me to be the clichéd 'natural scorer', especially at this level

We should play to his strengths, scoring 25 last season says he can put the ball in the back of the net.
  • Options
    He's probably confused by the red and white hexagonals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Use Looky and Holmes (and in some cases Ulvestad) to put plenty of hopeful balls into the box.

Ajose feeds off scraps.

Our tactic seems to be:

1. Run down wing with ball until meeting a defender.
    2. Pass ball back to player behind you
    3. Pass ball into center circle.
    4. Pass ball back to keeper

This is why so many of our games this season have been un-watchable dross.
  • Options

Use Looky and Holmes (and in some cases Ulvestad) to put plenty of hopeful balls into the box.

Ajose feeds off scraps.

Our tactic seems to be:

1. Run down wing with ball until meeting a defender.
    2. Pass ball back to player behind you
    3. Pass ball into center circle.
    4. Pass ball back to keeper

This is why so many of our games this season have been un-watchable dross.

Spot on. We never mix it up, they have quite clearly been told exactly how to play with no plan b or options to go through the middle or pass a move. Everything is so static and stagnant when we go forward.
  • Options
    Very much hope he starts on Saturday. Nailed on to score IMO and will be having a nice to score anytime bet assuming he is in the line-up
  • Options
    He will start banging them in
    Will score 2 at millwall to become a charlton legend
  • Options

He will start banging them in
    Will score 2 at millwall to become a charlton legend

But millllllllllll will score three.
  • Options
    That was an absolute sitter last night. Turned the defender brilliantly, and he even had a couple of seconds to set himself with the entire goal to aim at. He bloody shoots at the f*cking keeper!
  • Options

He definitely has been Charltonised!

Seriously, it does often happen that a striker had a golden season which earns them a move, when the player struggles to replicate their form
    Barry Endean was a classic example of that for us!

Ajose isn't that bad (yet).