Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fresh Rumour

edited May 2007 in Rumours
Bloke at work reckons we are after Nathan Ellington from WBA. Aint to sure about this one. The source is normally pretty reliable but don't shoot the messenger.

Comments

• i'd take him for a couple of mil but not if he's to be our "main man"
  • Would be a good signing IMHO but i expect them to go up so will they sell him?
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]i'd take him for a couple of mil but not if he's to be our "main man"

Out of interest who do you have in mind to be our 'main man'?
  • He scored 42 in 86 games for wigan in the CCC.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]i'd take him for a couple of mil but not if he's to be our "main man"

somebody who is proven in the lower leagues and is either young and promising enough to look like they can handle the premiership or has held their own at that level in the past... i.e. not a championship fix like iwelumo (although i think we could do with him to play a part this year) - someone that can make the jump with us and score the bulk of our goals.

Prime examples - Eastwood, Earnshaw, Harewood and potentially Chopra/Sharp
  • ellington, yes please! he is a good player and i reckon he can do it in the prem too! Why he left wigan when he did i just dont no!
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]i'd take him for a couple of mil but not if he's to be our "main man"

somebody who is proven in the lower leagues and is either young and promising enough to look like they can handle the premiership or has held their own at that level in the past... i.e. not a championship fix like iwelumo (although i think we could do with him to play a part this year) - someone that can make the jump with us and score the bulk of our goals.

Prime examples - Eastwood, Earnshaw, Harewood and potentially Chopra/Sharp

So that would be Nathan Ellington then?
  • He was only on the bench for WBA today, behind Philips and Kamara. It all depends on whether or not they go up.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]He was only on the bench for WBA today, behind Philips and Kamara. It all depends on whether or not they go up.

The match was yesterday round this side of the world, Ormy!
  • Ellington satisfies the lower league requirement in a shot but premiership? not got the record

05/06 = 8 goals in all comps and a LOT of games

held his own?
  • Sponsored links:

• Still think Chris Dickson has the potential, in the same way that Kevin Doyle has done it for Reading
  • I like earnshaw personally, pacey decent finisher
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Ellington satisfies the lower league requirement in a shot but premiership? not got the record

05/06 = 8 goals in all comps and a LOT of games

held his own?

Sounds like Hunt in 98/99
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I like earnshaw personally, pacey decent finisher

Expensive purchase
  • Where is this huge influx of money coming from to pay for someone like Ellington who no doubt would not be sold for much less than £3M ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I like earnshaw personally, pacey decent finisher

Expensive purchase

but guaranteed in a way that i can't see an ellington being

i would rather have £3.5 on earnshaw than £2 on ellington

and we all hope dickson can make it, he and walker will most probably be fighting for the fourth striker role next season
  • Problem with Earnshaw is that he is a crap footballer but a top finisher.

If you watch him anywhere outside the penalty box he is really average, can't hold it up, does not make good runs, weak in the air and so on - if you remember WBA played him as a sub for most of his time there.

However, if you create chances he will score a lot of goals.....

The problem is, how do you create chances when your main striker is useless anywhere outside the box and the ball keeps coming back into your half, like it did when Jeffers played for us? Its a real dilemma and shows why Dazza is such a top player for being able to play and score.
  • I think if Bent was sold which is highly likely 5m could be used to buy a couple of finishers like Earnshaw and Ellington both of whom I'd like at the club.
  • but we have to get used to the fact we most probably won't see someone like bent again for quite a few seasons and when we sign a replacement, we will have to play to their strengths...

how we create chances? get him playing off the shoulder alongside a big man and have him running on to throughballs and knock-on's like a whippet and at the same time getting down the channels through people like sam to let him show what he can poach in the 6 yard box.

what is true though - WHOEVER we buy, we cannot compare them to darren bent and turn our noses up.
  • I'm with you there, we won't see another Dazza for a long while and I am not comparing Earnshaw to him.

In fact, in a really strong CCC side Earnshaw would probably get a bagful and maybe we could use him for that and then re-evaluate if and when promoted but I have a feeling Pards does not really fancy him and wants more all-purpose forwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• not earnshaw, he is ugly and crap! no thanks
  • edited May 2007
    striker pre requisite: must be pleasing to MCS' eye...

:@)
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]striker pre requisite: must be pleasing to MCS' eye...

:@)

look what happened with dowie?!!!!? ugly and useless
  • whereas dean kiely was a looker wasn't he ;-)
  • MCS will be heartbroken when Baby Bent goes - who will come in and pick up the pieces?
  • if only there was a ginger goal-grabber on the market for him!
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]if only there was a ginger goal-grabber on the market for him!

come on go get Mr Dave 'Ginner' Kitson, that would be the best
  • we can dream mate! i remember seeing him for Cambridge Utd v Orient in Division 3 about 5 years ago, he was a cut above then
  • good player aint he
  • edited May 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite][quote]
    look what happened with dowie?!!!!? ugly and useless[/quote]

What do you mean useless, he was a great finisher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im_sME-zlQA