Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just talk.

Dear CL friends,

A dear friend of mine recently took his own life at the young age of 51.
Mind at Bexley have a justgiving page in his memory and to raise awareness.

I really want to stress, if anyone has any similar issues please don't be afraid to speak to someone and talk about your problems - problem shared is problem halved.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Really sorry to hear that mate. Always sad to hear when people feel they have no other option.

Thoughts with you and your circle, iamdan.
  • Options
    Was that some time ago @Powell Is Pleasant, the tears in the car ?
    Sometimes it's only with hindsight you can see what was going on, but I think we're all prone to hit snags and not understand what's happening at the time.
  • Options
    Very sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss and I echo the sentiment.

Talking is so important in matters relating to mental health. Hugely important to just get things off your chest to a healthcare professional and get the wheels to recovery in motion.

Don't suffer in silence
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss mate
  • Options
    RIP To you friend and best wishes to yourself and the rest of his family and friends.

A couple of years ago, we had 3 blokes that we knew/knew of (one was a friend of a friend who I had only briefly met), completely unrelated, commit suicide in the space of about 6 months, all for different reasons and all around the 50 year old mark.

As iamdan says in the original post, talk to someone, even if it's the bloke off the forum, or down the pub.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss @iamdan.

Great post's @JohnBoyUK & @Powell Is Pleasant
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    This is the old thread where it first came up but I'm pretty sure there's been a good few threads since...

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1777121#Comment_1777121

Touch wood, everything seems to be clicking for my brother now. He met someone and now lives with her in Liverpool and they're getting married next year. He's still holding down a programming job in IT although he say its physically draining. He's also been diagnose with Sleep Apnea, which explains why he has spent the last 10 years being more tired than knackered. His sleeping pattern has improved and he feels better each day now. Long may it continue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great post @Addick Addict
  • Options

Sometimes it's only with hindsight you can see what was going on, but I think we're all prone to hit snags and not understand what's happening at the time.

It wasn't that long ago, it was at the beginning of this year. It tends to happen sometimes with me, and it seems to come from nowhere.

It's good advice, to talk to people - for one thing, it's cathartic just thinking through it enough to put it into words. It's often easier said than done though. I'm married, but I know it would make my wife worry too much if I told her I has suicidal thoughts from time to time (and writing that down, I realise how stupid that is!)
    I don't really have any friends to tell. There are people I know and people I see; but I don't think I really have any friends. I feel stupid writing this as well.

@JohnBoyUK thanks, I'll give that thread a read.
  • Options
    And I should say, after reading that thread, that what I go through is absolutely nothing compared to what other people are suffering. Absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    I think the poor guy's funeral is today as I have a few mutual friends. Very sad story but sadly Seems to be happening more these days.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I think the poor guy's funeral is today as I have a few mutual friends. Very sad story but sadly Seems to be happening more these days.

If we are talking about the same poor guy then yes it was today. Very sad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It wasn't that long ago, it was at the beginning of this year. It tends to happen sometimes with me, and it seems to come from nowhere.

It's good advice, to talk to people - for one thing, it's cathartic just thinking through it enough to put it into words. It's often easier said than done though. I'm married, but I know it would make my wife worry too much if I told her I has suicidal thoughts from time to time (and writing that down, I realise how stupid that is!)
    I don't really have any friends to tell. There are people I know and people I see; but I don't think I really have any friends. I feel stupid writing this as well.

@JohnBoyUK thanks, I'll give that thread a read.
    Your whole post resonated with me, but especially the "friends" bit. I wouldn't feel stupid writing that as I suspect there are many of us feeling the same.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

A neighbour & acquaintance of mine - ( I know his wife much better than him as she was more involved with the community & kids) - took his life at 47 years old just a couple of weeks ago, he was married with two kids aged 6 & 3.

Shocking tragedy - he had a history of depression...
  • Options
    It's really saddening to read these stories, I've lost to suicide, attempted it and battle depressive feelings daily, however I am in a much better place these days.

A problem shared is very often a weight off the shoulders. A firm hug from someone hat loves you can really let you know life isn't that bad.

The problem comes when those feelings become overpowering... That is when professional help must be available and must be approachable.