Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Headphones for home audio use; Recommendations?

The Sonos thread reminded me that I need to replace my ancient Sony headphones.

I would use them to listen to music and radio in the house , and deffo. want wireless. It would be great to have a powerful range capability, is it possible to nowadays listen in a different room or out in the garden? I like Sennheiser as a company, but if there are any good British companies I would be interested too. They need all the help they can get :-) Budget £150, maybe £200 for good range.

I thank you.

Comments

• Options
    I got a free pair of Beats Solo wireless headphones when buying an Apple product and they're good. But i wouldn't pay the £250 RRP.
  • Options
    If you 100% top notch music experience then perhaps not Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones but unless you are a very serious sound freak then there is little to compare. They cancel out extraneous noise. When I have them on I can listen to music or watch a film and can't here a word my wife says. They are that good. Mine are not wireless but I understand they do a wireless version. Not cheap though.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    They look very nice. Can you say anything about range? Can you listen to them in a different room to where the base station is, or do they have to have an unimpeded "line of sight" to the base station, (as with my moderately powerful wi-fi router)?

@stonemuse ?

• Options
    Well I have a pair of Sennheiser Wireless Momentums which set me back £379 but theyre bloody excellent. I bought them as Techradar had them down as their #1 headphones they'd ever tested.

Battery is excellent (24 hours continuous play).

They can sound a bit ropey with iPhones though if you planned to use it with them as iPhones don't support modern wireless Bluetooth standards.
  • Options
    Got a pair of Sony headphones free with my phone, decent quality and work throughout house
  • Options

Addickted said:
    They look very nice. Can you say anything about range? Can you listen to them in a different room to where the base station is, or do they have to have an unimpeded "line of sight" to the base station, (as with my moderately powerful wi-fi router)?

@stonemuse ?

@PragueAddick The sound is excellent and they are easy to wear. Work well from another room but never tested exactly how far.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Addickted said:

@stonemuse ?

The P5 are the ones I have and the quality is stunning. The clarity, particular with classical music, is incredible and has enabled me to understand better some of the individual composers nuances.

Range isn't a problem, either inside or outside the house, but you need to spend some time setting them up correctly from the start to get the most out of them.

They do tend to drop the signal for a couple of seconds every half hour though. Battery life is good.

Think I paid about £170 for them in January.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks all. Re the B-W P5s I just read the Which review and it says that glasses-wearing people have a problem with them, which might be a deal breaker with me, as currently I have a problem with my glasses giving me mild headaches and it seems to be the side frames rather than the glass causing it. Never had the pleasure of meeting @stonemuse but as I recall Nick you don't wear glasses, unless you took them off readying yourself for a fight:-) (which you would have won of course)

The Which guide is pointing me towards Bose Soundlinks.
  • Options
    I do wear glasses at home. Never had a problem with headphones.
  • Options
    Without a doubt there are better German and American headphones on the market for the money, but I generally prefer to buy British if I can.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I do wear glasses at home. Never had a problem with headphones.

Yeah he's a good bloke. Proper Charlton.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Without a doubt there are better German and American headphones on the market for the money, but I generally prefer to buy British if I can.

So do I. KEF speakers and Creek tuner and cd player. Czech Pro-jekt turntable, natch.

Now just think, once we leave the single market I can reclaim the VAT on all the stuff I buy in the UK :-)

@ShootersHillGuru that deserves 10 LOLs

• Options
    The latest What HiFi mag has the B&W P5 Wireless headphones as Product of the Year in that category. Says that they're £230.
    At £130 an award winner for the best wireless headphones under £200 are the AKG Y50BT.
  • Options
    AKG.
    KEF maybe a British company but I doubt they make there headphones here. I know they, like others, use the phrase, British designed.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Micky, good to know I made the right choice!
  • Options

Thanks all. Re the B-W P5s I just read the Which review and it says that glasses-wearing people have a problem with them, which might be a deal breaker with me, as currently I have a problem with my glasses giving me mild headaches and it seems to be the side frames rather than the glass causing it. Never had the pleasure of meeting @stonemuse but as I recall Nick you don't wear glasses, unless you took them off readying yourself for a fight:-) (which you would have won of course)

The Which guide is pointing me towards Bose Soundlinks.

@PragueAddick I do wear glasses when reading and the headphones are still comfortable once they are worn a few times, they adjust the more they are worn.
  • Options

AKG.
    KEF maybe a British company but I doubt they make there headphones here. I know they, like others, use the phrase, British designed.

I was referring to my floor standing speakers which I am pretty sure were made in Maidstone when I bought them but that was maybe 15 years ago.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do people really wear headphones in their house to listen to music? Surprised how popular it seems.
  • Options
    Its obvious we all wear them indoors so we cant hear the moaning and nagging
    Bliss
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Hmm, maybe I have a problem here, hope somebody can work this out for me.

I have Creek Evo 2 amp. It does not have Bluetooth connectivity, but it does have a headphone jack

I have Sonos Connect. It uses wifi, not bluetooth.

Now, these headphones, certainly the Bose Soundlink ones I was looking at, do not seem to use a base station. They seem designed to connect wirelessly only via other Bluetooth ready outputs such as a mobile phone. So, if I understand it correctly, I could only listen to output from my Sonos using wired connection to the amp.

Is that the case with the B&W too @Addickted , @stonemuse?

Anyone else getting my drift here? @PopIcon ? I assumed these Bluetooth headphones have base stations which in turn connect to an amp, and thus can be used wirelessly to listen to whatever the amp is churning out. But not all apparently, and I cannot seem to work out which do, and which do not.

Maybe if I can access the What Hi-Fi awards, that will tell me? (Edit: I accessed it, and no, it doesn't)
  • Options

I have Creek Evo 2 amp. It does not have Bluetooth connectivity, but it does have a headphone jack

Now, these headphones, certainly the Bose Soundlink ones I was looking at, do not seem to use a base station. They seem designed to connect wirelessly only via other Bluetooth ready outputs such as a mobile phone. So, if I understand it correctly, I could only listen to output from my Sonos using wired connection to the amp.

Anyone else getting my drift here? @PopIcon ? I assumed these Bluetooth headphones have base stations which in turn connect to an amp, and thus can be used wirelessly to listen to whatever the amp is churning out. But not all apparently, and I cannot seem to work out which do, and which do not.

Maybe if I can access the What Hi-Fi awards, that will tell me? (Edit: I accessed it, and no, it doesn't)

Without knowing a huge amount about your issue.
    I believe you'll be able to buy a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack on your amp. This would then pair to your headphones allowing you to listen this way.

I think this is correct anyway
  • Options
    WSS said:

Do people really wear headphones in their house to listen to music? Surprised how popular it seems.

Good way to hear the music to it's fullest without disturbing others
  • Options

I'm connected via wifi at home, but the B&W can connect with Bluetooth as well.

As I said, you need to set them up properly before you start - especially if you will be changing connectivity on a regular basis.

• Options
    Addickted said:

I'm connected via wifi at home, but the B&W can connect with Bluetooth as well.

As I said, you need to set them up properly before you start - especially if you will be changing connectivity on a regular basis.

So can you listen to wirelessly, to music from your hi-fi system? What are the headphones connecting to, in this case?

@Leeds_Addick Thanks, I just wrote to Creek, asking them about a solution like that. Some kind of dongle...

• Options
    "Budget £150, maybe £200 for good range."

Audio Technica ATH-M50 are probably where I'd go. Great pair, comfortable, good build quality, great sound quality.

Probably the best pair in that range/maybe even slightly under