Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Calvin Andrew: Rochdale striker banned for 12 games

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Reminds me of the Paul Davis, Glenn Cockerill incident in the late eighties. 9 game ban for breaking his jaw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCKczfG-r4
  • Options
    What went through his head?
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

On Wikipedia; 321 appearances, 32 goals. That's terrible for a striker.

Especially when compared to Simon Church (270 appearances, 49 goals)

Scored against us though!
  • Options
    He demonstrated little self control either when he scored against us. I cannot see why the Police are not involved for what was clearly a criminal assault.
  • Options
    Played for Warnock at Palace - explains a lot I'm afraid.
  • Options
    sm said:

He demonstrated little self control either when he scored against us. I cannot see why the Police are not involved for what was clearly a criminal assault.

Yes but that would set a precedent for the rugby playing Police fraternity to have to follow - they would have to prosecute punching in the scrums and rucks, gouging, raking etc etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Calvin Andrew has played 300 + matches in a 12 year pro career at 12 clubs with 6 of them loan moves. On the highlights program they said he had never been sent off.
    Why would he at 29 lose it and attack another player off the ball with a forearm smash ?
    I find it hard to believe words spoken to him by Peter Clarke however bad would get that reaction off the ball. (over the last 12 years he must of heard some dodgy comments)

I tend to think that off the field stress could be the trigger.

Interesting if Andrew or Clarke release a statement.
  • Options
    When he finally kills every other player to score at The Valley this season he can truly declare himself Highlander
  • Options

Calvin Andrew has played 270 + matches in a 12 year pro career at 12 clubs with 6 of them loan moves. On the highlights program they said he had never been sent off.
    Why would he at 29 lose it and attack another player off the ball with a forearm smash ?
    I find it hard to believe words spoken to him by Peter Clarke however bad would get that reaction off the ball. (over the last 12 years he must of heard some dodgy comments)

I tend to think that off the field stress could be the trigger.

Interesting if Andrew or Clarke release a statement.

He doesn't know Sam Sodje does he?
  • Options

I can think of a few incidents last year that were just off the scale... anywhere else, that's assault and the police are called... but people think they can get away with it because its football. Premium utd, and New Beckenham, and Walsingham a few seasons back....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

Carter said:

I've seen worse on a Sunday morning. A kid who used to play or us (my old pub team) as a 16 year old had his cheekbone smashed right in like, indented in and needed loads of surgery by some arsehole from sheppey. He is about 28 now and was awesome as a youngster bit his face is still ruined.

That incident kicked off a brawl that involved everyone, even our goalkeepers dad who took one of the island dwellers teeth out with either his walking stick or a broom. Amazingly the game didn't get abandoned.

That's absolutely horrible, that's why I hated Sunday football there were just too many arseholes who wanted to hurt people.
    And just as well I was not good enough for Sunday morning football!
    Didn't pass the height test?
    I kid you not, I was the school goalkeeper in primary school, my agility and fantastic shot stopping took us to the final.

And we are talking 11-a-side, not 5-a-side!
  • Options

Most of Andrew's elbow by the looks of it
  • Options
    They still only had little goals though mate!
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Paul Cooper used to be my hero!
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

Carter said:

I've seen worse on a Sunday morning. A kid who used to play or us (my old pub team) as a 16 year old had his cheekbone smashed right in like, indented in and needed loads of surgery by some arsehole from sheppey. He is about 28 now and was awesome as a youngster bit his face is still ruined.

That incident kicked off a brawl that involved everyone, even our goalkeepers dad who took one of the island dwellers teeth out with either his walking stick or a broom. Amazingly the game didn't get abandoned.

That's absolutely horrible, that's why I hated Sunday football there were just too many arseholes who wanted to hurt people.
    I kid you not, I was the school goalkeeper in primary school, my agility and fantastic shot stopping took us to the final.

You're taking about the school subbuteo team right?

• Options

Essex_Al said:

Carter said:

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/092009/1253784931_kid_goalkeeper.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Essex_Al said:

Sorry to butt into this love in and go off thread but who was the shortest keeper you've seen play for Charlton then? I reckon it was John Vaughan who payed up at Manure in the 1994 FA Cup Quarter Final. The late Ken Jones back in the 60's didn't seem that tall either but maybe some of the real old timers @LenGlover or @Starinnaddick can confirm :wink: .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Sorry to butt into this love in and go off thread but who was the shortest keeper you've seen play for Charlton then? I reckon it was John Vaughan who payed up at Manure in the 1994 FA Cup Quarter Final. The late Ken Jones back in the 60's didn't seem that tall either but maybe some of the real old timers @LenGlover or @Starinnaddick can confirm :wink: .
    Derek Forster was no giant. Not that he played much!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Derek Forster was no giant. Not that he played much!
    I thought you might have said Killer when he took over from Tutt up at Sunderland but I meant proper Goalkeeper of course :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That video is like seeing the precise second someone loses their mind.
    It's as if he snaps, goes genuinely crazy, and assaults the first person he sees.
  • Options
    I would concur with John Vaughan as being our smallest keeper.

On a wider scale, the likes of Peter Bonetti (5'10") and probably the greatest penalty saver of all time probably, Paul Cooper (5' 11'') almost certainly wouldn't get in the PL. There again, there are probably quite a few others from former decades who wouldn't win a place either because they couldn't trap a bag of sand or pass water!
  • Options

I would concur with John Vaughan as being our smallest keeper.

On a wider scale, the likes of Peter Bonetti (5'10") and probably the greatest penalty saver of all time probably, Paul Cooper (5' 11'') almost certainly wouldn't get in the PL. There again, there are probably quite a few others from former decades who wouldn't win a place either because they couldn't trap a bag of sand or pass water!

Eddie Hopkinson was only 5' 10" and won 14 England caps.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Sorry to butt into this love in and go off thread but who was the shortest keeper you've seen play for Charlton then? I reckon it was John Vaughan who payed up at Manure in the 1994 FA Cup Quarter Final. The late Ken Jones back in the 60's didn't seem that tall either but maybe some of the real old timers @LenGlover or @Starinnaddick can confirm :wink: .</blockquot

Eddie Marsh was a shorter goalkeeper and Wiki has him at 5' 6" but I'm sure he was taller than that .
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Eddie was before my time.

Fifty or sixty years back players were smaller so, for example, Eddie Hopkinson at 5' 10" wasn't exceptionally small.

Willie Duff seemed relatively small for a keeper from photos. Just missed seeing him live.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Fifty or sixty years back players were smaller so, for example, Eddie Hopkinson at 5' 10" wasn't exceptionally small.

Willie Duff seemed relatively small for a keeper from photos. Just missed seeing him live.
    Willie Duff was 5' 11"
  • Options

LenGlover said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

Willie Duff was 5' 11"
    I stand corrected. He must have been standing on a slope or in a dip.
  • Options
    Just seen it. Should have been banned for life. What a cheap, premeditated shot! Tosser!
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

Carter said:

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/092009/1253784931_kid_goalkeeper.gif
    Lol

The only difference being I saved the ball.
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

Carter said:

You're taking about the school subbuteo team right?

Lol