Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BURGLED

Comments

• Live Bexley near Three Blackbirds, popped out to get a Chinese tonight, and saw couple mates in pub opposite. So went in had a pint, then just over an hour later got home. Unlocked chub and Yale on front door. Walked in lounge and thought whys the TV that I had left on got no sound ? Then hold on stuff moved about. Then feck it iv been burgled, I'm 59 live alone never happened to me before. I'm a bit of a piggy bank man, had about 6 around the house, all smashed torn open and money gone about £600. Police really good, excellent pair of officers. Looks like came across gardens onto my flat roof and broke through window, then legged it out patio doors as I pulled up. I have baseball bat in bedroom, which had been moved to top of stairs, to bash me if I had came in ?
    I'm a proper man, and can handle myself, but I was numb and helpless, had to go next door and ask for help. I will never again feel the same in my home.

I was and still may be in a state of shock, that this has happened to me.

But, if I find out who did this " I will make you fucking pay" ! Petty crime ? Not when it's your house it isn't !

Sorry to here that, lowlife that break into peoples homes deserve to be locked up.....for a very long time.
  • Sorry to hear that Ralph. Not nice news but they must've seen you go out? Why go in otherwise if telly on.

• edited November 2016
    Scum. We had a spate of them near us, not too far from where you are RM. As others have said, get a burglar alarm fitted, they're not that expensive. Can give you the guys number if you want. We also have timers on our lights and a device that replicates the light pattern of a TV that comes on as soon as it starts getting dark.
  • Scum. When they are caught they should let the victims have free reign in their family's houses as well as much longer sentences.
  • Sorry to hear that Ralph, I know its too late now but to echo what Prague said, CCTV cameras are the way forward, at least you could have ID'd the shits, A fella I work with has them all over his gaff and logs into them when he's at work so he can check.
  • Scum. We had a spate of them near us, not too far from where you are RM. As others have said, get a burglar alarm fitted, they're not that expensive. Can give you the guys number if you want. We also have timers on our lights and a device that replicates the light pattern of a TV that comes on as soon as it starts getting dark.

Great idea that
  • Really shitty thing to happen to you...sorry to hear this

I'd say they got lucky with the cash they found - do you think they had an inkling?.

I guess technology has to be the solution, as with cars it means this kind of thing will only start to pay off at the high-end. It all feels like 80s/90s crime (& i had my share of of both back then), then you get reminders like this that these lowlifers are still at it...
  • Yeah sorry to hear this. Been through it twice myself. My advice is to get the house as secure as physically possible (some good advice already on that) so that when you hear noises in the night, you can relax and go back to sleep, knowing there's no way anyone's made it inside.

The worst feeling passes after a week or two, but never really goes away entirely.
  • Gutted for you Ralph, chin up mate, hope the bastards get their comeuppance
  • Really sorry to read what ahs happened --Its a sickly feeling that some B -stard been in your house -your Castle .....happened to us they f**king messed our place up ..don't let the RATS get you down ....you will be shaky for a few days going out and coming home ....but don't let it get to you ....keep your chin up -- Good Luck
  • Sponsored links:

• Scum, Gotta be the lowest of the low to do that. One reason why I will always have a dog. Great detterent, will attack if needs be and they're just all round great.
  • Being burgled appears to be depressingly commonplace. Where I used to live in Eltham I got broken into twice and on the second occasion I was actually at home! Didn't hear a thing fortunately for them and me, or else I doubt I'd have the freedom to post here. The bastards nicked my car key (but either couldn't find the car or didn't fancy a Vauxhall.....) and I had to claim on two insurance policies.

Do review all your security and don't think it's a waste of time thinking that it's a bit after the horse has bolted. These parasites look for the easy targets. I personally wouldn't bother with CCTV though. If you ever put your house on the market, nothing says 'dodgey area' more that CCTV cameras around the place. They might be a deterent, but they seem to only produce grainy useless pictures. Double glazed windows and doors (glazed from the inside) with multi locking points, an alarm and a garden difficult to get into would be top of my shopping list. They recommend trellis work on top of the fences. And maybe a rabid doberman in the garden.
  • Scum, Gotta be the lowest of the low to do that. One reason why I will always have a dog. Great detterent, will attack if needs be and they're just all round great.

I would add a note of caution here. If that guard dog turns into a family pet, how are you going to feel if it is injured or killed by the thieving scumbags, as happened to my neighbor's dog.
  • One thing to look out for is, they if they have taken a lot of things is that they may return 3-4 weeks later, knowing that the "loot" has been replaced by the insurance company.
  • Scum. We had a spate of them near us, not too far from where you are RM. As others have said, get a burglar alarm fitted, they're not that expensive. Can give you the guys number if you want. We also have timers on our lights and a device that replicates the light pattern of a TV that comes on as soon as it starts getting dark.

Great idea that
    Yer it worked great on this occasion !

Sorry to hear you got burgled, it's getting to that time of year where they will increase
  • shine166 said:

Scum. We had a spate of them near us, not too far from where you are RM. As others have said, get a burglar alarm fitted, they're not that expensive. Can give you the guys number if you want. We also have timers on our lights and a device that replicates the light pattern of a TV that comes on as soon as it starts getting dark.

Great idea that

Sorry to hear you got burgled, it's getting to that time of year where they will increase
    Read the thread again Shine luv.

It was suggested to Ralph, by Dave, to maybe try the automated tv light for next time

• I was like cherryorchard the first time it happened. When I got home for weeks after I had to walk into each room, to check they hadn't come back and no one was there, even though I had changed the locks. Its a horrible feeling.

God knows how they got in though.. I was going on holiday and had cousins coming over from Ireland who were going to stay in my flat while I was away so I left my spare set in the broom cupboard in front of the flats and somehow I also dropped my own set between leaving the flat and getting out of the cab to the airport.

I'm absolutely clueless as to how on earth someone got in.... div.

• Saga Lout said:

Scum, Gotta be the lowest of the low to do that. One reason why I will always have a dog. Great detterent, will attack if needs be and they're just all round great.

I would add a note of caution here. If that guard dog turns into a family pet, how are you going to feel if it is injured or killed by the thieving scumbags, as happened to my neighbor's dog.
    Ever seen the film John Wick? Similar consequences would follow.

In all seriousness, I'd never have a dog primarily as a guard dog but as I said it is a great detterent, dogs are naturally protective of heir environment and their owners/family
  • Sponsored links:

• My sympathies .. a shocking feeling of helplessness and 'violation' is it not .. a reminder that no matter how strong your locks may be, glass windows are always vulnerable ..
    good luck in sorting out your feelings over this .. I was mugged in the street years ago and felt rather as you must do .. I am well over it now though ..I now regard the incident as a lesson learnt
  • edited November 2016
    In a lot of cases burglars move to an easier place to rob if they hear a dog. A few years back our Jack Russell saved us - R.I.P. dear Smudge. There were signs they tried to break in but the police said her barking must have scared them off. Our neighbours got burgled instead!
  • shine166 said:

Great idea that

It was suggested to Ralph, by Dave, to maybe try the automated tv light for next time

I think he was saying that Ralph had actually left his real TV on though, boss.
  • edited November 2016
    Greenie said:

Sorry to hear that Ralph, I know its too late now but to echo what Prague said, CCTV cameras are the way forward, at least you could have ID'd the shits, A fella I work with has them all over his gaff and logs into them when he's at work so he can check.

It's a relatively simple thing nowadays if you have broadband and wifi, providing you do the security stuff and change the default passwords. I've been using a £30 PTZ (pan tilt and zoom) motion detection camera from Ebay which I can monitor on my phone. Obviously if they nick that, the evidence goes with it, but FTP'ing the pictures to a website somewhere, or emailing them to yourself is becoming easier too.

Sorry to hear this.
  • Sounds like they knew you were out. Could they have known you had cash in the house? Maybe not too far from home?
  • My parents were robbed in the 90's, had absolutely everything taken out of the house, they moved address straight after it happened, which might be something you might need to do for your own sanity mate. Wish you all the best.
  • LuckyReds said:

shine166 said:

Great idea that

I think he was saying that Ralph had actually left his real TV on though, boss.
    What channel?