Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Open letter to Chris O'Loughlin

Dear Chris,
Speculation is rife that following the sacking yesterday of Russell Slade you are set to be appointed Manager (Head Coach? Interim?) of Charlton Athletic.
Let us assume for arguments sake that this is true.
This letter is a plea for you to think twice before accepting.
Firstly, you may be labouring under the delusion that the primary reason you have been offered the position is because you have the skillset and experience to succeed where the previous 5 incumbents have failed.
Let me disabuse you of that notion.
Your suitability will be put to the test soon enough, but the perception hereabouts is that you are being offered the post because you are (a) Cheap and (B) Compliant.
Secondly, I wonder whether you have given any thought to the current state of the club and it's relationship with it's fanbase?
You must be aware, are you not, that literally thousands of fans have deserted the club due to what they perceive to be: - a complete lack of footballing ambition; complete and utter mismanagement by people unqualified for the positions they hold; an utter contempt displayed by the senior management for the supporters and history of this great club; an under resourced squad blighted by a haphazard, disjointed, ludicrously flawed recruitment performance; a lack of any specified plan for the future success of the club.
In the face of all this, do you honestly think you are qualified to turn things around?
Do you think you will have complete autonomy to manage the club as you see fit to best achieve footballing success?
Do you think the fans will perceive you as the right appointment?
Do you expect to be welcomed with open arms?
Does it matter to you what the fans think?
Let me make things sparklingly clear.
I suspect the vast majority of the fans believe you are a 2-bob nobody foisted on the club by an owner who doesn't appear to care about footballing ambition or the symbiotic relationship between a football club and it's supporters.
This is the toxic arena into which you may choose to walk and subject yourself for the next 3 months or so.
My advice would be to walk away.
If you choose to accept, good luck, you are going to need it

Comments

• Options
    Excellent letter. You might mean disabuse instead of disavow.
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with the OP. Stay away or you'll regret it.
  • Options
    Love the 2 bob nobody line
  • Options

Love the 2 bob nobody line

It's a great letter but that's the sort of line that would have the opposite effect in my book. If he's out of the 2shits school of stubbornness this will be like a red rag to a bull. Top top letter though.
  • Options
    Very good letter. But 2 to 3 years salary for 2 to 3 months work! Who in their right mind is going to turn that down?
  • Options
    Someone who understands life is about more than just money.
  • Options

Someone who understands life is about more than just money.

Pardew ?
  • Options

Very good letter. But 2 to 3 years salary for 2 to 3 months work! Who in their right mind is going to turn that down?

Someone who knows deep down that they are genuinely good enough to get a decent job elsewhere.... so not Chris O'L then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PS You would have to work with Katrien, for whom "a blithering idiot who is out of her depth" would be a polite description, although she is still enough of a devious lawyer to shaft you on your contract that you have next to no control over football matters whatsoever. Your position in the hierarchy will be somewhere behind a certain Mrs Perks and Katrien's body guards who you no doubt have met already. You can also count on a warm welcome when you walk to the dugout for the first time - a rousing chorus of Cheerio, Cheerio broken up by good old South London expletives while being pelted by hopefully not too hard objects is probably the best you might hope for. Please make sure that the laundry van is primed for the inevitable quick getaway.
  • Options

Someone who knows deep down that they are genuinely good enough to get a decent job elsewhere.... so not Chris O'L then
    I suspect he is on a retainer already just like Fraeye was.
  • Options
    PPS Whatever you do don't touch the Vol au Vents.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Excellent letter. You might mean disabuse instead of disavow.

Yes, thanks. Amended!
  • Options
    I reckon if he spends s couple of hours reading through various threads on Charlton life he will know what's in store for him and run a mile
  • Options

I reckon if he spends s couple of hours reading through various threads on Charlton life he will know what's in store for him and run a mile

He'll need to spend more than a couple of hours reading.

I know I have!

• Options

We live in hope :smile:
  • Options
    Dear Sir.

I understand you may be considering moving in to the house next door. As your potential neighbour I would like to remind you that I have been running a crack den in my property and if you don't like it will have no hesitation in calling you a c**t to your face.

Your loyal servant,

Kind Regards

Etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who are you, but I really don't wanna know.
  • Options

Will he actually read this?
  • Options
    He's been quietly added to the coaching staff now, ready to be placed as head coach in 12 months time
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    sam3110 said:

He's been quietly added to the coaching staff now, ready to be placed as head coach in 12 2 months time

corrected for you ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    waldo said:

Will he actually read this?
    Possibly. Roland's stooges all strike me as the type of people who Google their own names
  • Options
    Time to post it to him.
  • Options
    O’Loughlin being named on the coaching staff is a two finger salute to fans. He would not have been appointed were the club looking for a new manager as any new appointment would want the freedom to name his own coaching team rather than be forced to work with someone hired while the interview process was ongoing.

More lies from the club. More reason to go for the jugular.