Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old music at the Valley

Sorry for the random thread

Was just talking to a mate regarding music played at the Valley years ago. There was a song that went something like "when the robin songs, there's no time for..."

Can't remember the lyrics and havent heard it in years, can anyone help? Basically the other Robin song apart from the obvious Red, Red Robin

Cheers in advance for any help, random I know!

Comments

• Options
    You thinking late 90s?

That the one that Glenn Tillbrook put together?
  • Options
    "Down in the Valley 1,2,3,4,5"
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    http://www.squeezefan.com/Songbook/down_in_the_valley.htm

So when Saturday comes
    There's no time for glums
    There's no time for losers at all
    And when the Robins sing
    It's a happening thing
    There's no time to take your eye off the ball
  • Options
    My earliest memory of the valley is Billy Joel uptown girl being played, 83ish, that song now still reminds me of Kevin dickinson kicking the ball out the tunnel as the teams come out.
    7 at the time.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Chizz said:

So when Saturday comes
    And when the Robins sing
    It's a happening thing

Much as I like Squeeze, those lyrics are absolutely terrible. Definitely bought the CD in the queue for play off final tickets on a sunny Sunday in May '98. Why?
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the music they used to play before the games such as the Premier League games with "Were Gonna Win" by Bryan Adams followed by Robbie Williams "Let Me Entertain You".

Neither would be very relevant in 2016.
  • Options
    That Bryan Adams song was terrible
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    For us clubbers, used to like it when @DanDavis used to smash out a bit of Insanity. Some bloke in the NEQ used to bring out the moves every half time to this
  • Options
    Jump Around before the second half kicks off is always good
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I remember when this was played shortly before kick off for every game without fail.

I'm 99% certain this was around the time that Kevin Nolan once ended one of his match reports in the mercury with a plea for the pre-match music to be canned, on the basis that it was "about as trendy as a bald blokes ponytail".
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:

McBobbin said:

I remember when this was played shortly before kick off for every game without fail.

I'm 99% certain this was around the time that Kevin Nolan once ended one of his match reports in the mercury with a plea for the pre-match music to be canned, on the basis that it was "about as trendy as a bald blokes ponytail".
    I vaguely remember the first time it was a yes, and the DJ was so excited about it. I'd got the album with the song on... I was a member of Britannia music club and had forgotten to say I didn't want their "recommended" album.
    I suspect the same happened to the DJ..
    Trying to convince himself he hadn't stuffed up.
  • Options
    Didn't @3Blokes have something played. Not the "we sing much louder than you" the B side of Valley Floyd Road but something else?
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:

McBobbin said:

Back in those days the playlist consisted of:
    Bryan Adams - We're Gonna Win
    Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You
    Republica - Ready To Go

As bad as things are at the moment they could be worse.
  • Options
    '72-'73, the theme tune for Van de Valk.
    On the rare occasion I hear it now, I could weep at the nostalgia it evokes in me.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Wasn't it brought out for the '98 playoff final ?

In hindsight it was a terrible, terrible song.

That's right I brought it...will have to play it latter...a reminder of better times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited November 2016
    That DJ was me and I bloody loved the Brian Adams We're gonna win song, and we did bloody win, so we kept on playing it!

So there!!!

And once I did play Al Martino's Spanish eyes in honour of the late great Dick Neve.
  • Options
    The Star Wars theme was played as the teams came out for Simonsen's debut. Cheesy but somehow in keeping with the nonsense of it all.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Mr. Happy said:

McBobbin said:

Back in those days the playlist consisted of:
    Bryan Adams - We're Gonna Win
    Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You
    Republica - Ready To Go

As bad as things are at the moment they could be worse.
    Great great times, no matter whose in charge, the feeling in that era, for every matchday will never be replicated.
  • Options
    Mouldy Old Dough
  • Options
    Santa is a Charlton fan cos he wears red & white
    He's alright
  • Options

Jim Reeves, "I hear the sound ... der der der ..... der der der ..... of distant drums".

Crikey, that must have been 50 years ago.

Bob Stokoe was the manager and Eddie Firmani up front.

• Options
    Redskin said:

'72-'73, the theme tune for Van de Valk.
    On the rare occasion I hear it now, I could weep at the nostalgia it evokes in me.

Eye level?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

So when Saturday comes
    And when the Robins sing
    It's a happening thing

thank you, that's the one!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

You thinking late 90s?

That the one that Glenn Tillbrook put together?

late 90's, early Millennium, just trying to cheer ourselves up given the glum at the minute! Happy memories of the place around this time, first serious interest in football given my age.