Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UK Golf Breaks

Looking at doing one for my lads 21st, stay away for couple of nights.

Anybody recommend any good ones, or any crap ones to avoid.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I know of FOUR potentials ;)
  • Options

Poor effort mate
  • Options
    Stoke by nayland and East Sussex national were good when I went.
    Focus was on golf and a beer but not sure what's around them places for a bunch of 21 year olds if they are looking for nightclub etc.
  • Options
    Not as a package but Bournemouth has some cracking courses. Stay down there then book individually. Loads of nightlife as well for the youngsters and their chaperone...
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Princes at Sandwich is good if not particularly cheap. They have good onsite accommodation and Sandwich has a few decent pubs (can't remember names but others might. The Bull rings a vague bell). 3 nine hole championship standard (well, two of them are) courses. They were doing a deal if two rounds and an overnight stay (shared rooms) for 99 quid lastvtine a looked. A few lads from my club are doing in a couple of weeks time.

Forest of Arden is good too. Completely different golf to Princes (parkland vs links). Onsite Marriott. Expensive drinks but Solihull town centre in easy reach by cab.
  • Options
    The Belfry is v good
  • Options
    Cheers Chaps

The Bournemouth option had already been earmarked but will look into the others as well

Thanks
  • Options

Poor effort mate
    Take a mulligan
  • Options
    done loads of these @Charltonparklane

depends how your weighting is for golf vs night out. Most of the venues that offer the packages are pretty remote and don't lend kindly to getting a night out away from the complex (getting a cab is a lot more difficult than it sounds in a lot of these places).

East Sussex National has two good courses, is a nice complex, and Uckfield is about 1 mile away and has a couple of decent pubs / lively pub.

Recently done the Princes courses at Sandwich. Tremendous kept courses and the first time I've played effectively links courses. Really enjoyed the golf (the course wasn't as brutal for poor standard players as I thought it was), but again, its pretty remote and you are not really going to go away from the hotel.

Old Thorns and Stoke by Nayland are also good ones we've done but again remote.

Most of the golf breaks website and individual hotels websites do decent deals for 2 day golf with dinner + B+B thrown in. Normally £80-£110 depending on days of week / time of year. Most of them have a decent pool + steam etc on site

If you are more interested in a good night out with bit of golf thrown in then I agree you are better off booking a Prem Inn at Brighton or somewhere like that and lining up a round at a nearby course.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

The Belfry is v good

And has a nightclub :0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    red_murph said:

shirty5 said:

The Belfry is v good

And has a nightclub :0)
    great place for a golf break ,nightclub never used to open on a Sunday , but might AV changed , also someone mentioned Bournemouth great Courses and nightlife is superb .
  • Options
    bredbury hall
  • Options
    edited November 2016

depends how your weighting is for golf vs night out. Most of the venues that offer the packages are pretty remote and don't lend kindly to getting a night out away from the complex (getting a cab is a lot more difficult than it sounds in a lot of these places).

East Sussex National has two good courses, is a nice complex, and Uckfield is about 1 mile away and has a couple of decent pubs / lively pub.

Recently done the Princes courses at Sandwich. Tremendous kept courses and the first time I've played effectively links courses. Really enjoyed the golf (the course wasn't as brutal for poor standard players as I thought it was), but again, its pretty remote and you are not really going to go away from the hotel.

Old Thorns and Stoke by Nayland are also good ones we've done but again remote.

Most of the golf breaks website and individual hotels websites do decent deals for 2 day golf with dinner + B+B thrown in. Normally £80-£110 depending on days of week / time of year. Most of them have a decent pool + steam etc on site

If you are more interested in a good night out with bit of golf thrown in then I agree you are better off booking a Prem Inn at Brighton or somewhere like that and lining up a round at a nearby course.

East Brighton course is good. Links-ish but high up though and the wind is challenging to say the least.

AFKA has pretty much nailed the rest of it. Generally we do two weekends a year as a group of around ten of us and have been doing it for years. I'll have a think on some of the places we've been to. Depending on time of year, don't discount going to Le Touquet. Really doesn't take long to get there at all on the Le Shuttle and played three lovely courses in Hardelot Pines, Dunes and La Mer. Really liked Le Touquet as a town although beer is not cheap. When my mate Simon ordered up ten Red Bull & Vodka's it completely wiped out our kitty and didn't go down to well :0)

In England, I'd avoid Five Lakes. Personally I thought it was our worst trip. I couldn't make our last weekend but the chaps said it was the best yet (probably something to do with me not being there!). I'll email them to find out where it was. Again as AFKA says it depends on what you are after, we're all around forty-ish and just like the golf and then the dinner and relaxing with a few beers afterwards. This place had a kind of cottage thing which slept ten and they just got some bev in and played poker after that until the early hours.

For reasonably short journeys I personally I rate Dale Hill pretty highly. Two completely different courses and lovely grub and a pool table for a bit of Killer late on ;0)

Foxhills is amazing and the Longcross course is probably my favourite English one. It's stunning. It was a very formal environment for the evening part though and maybe not so suited to a 21st?

In all the time we've been going away we have always used Golfbreaks.com time and again. It is all very easy to sort out and I found their customer service excellent. Even when we had the inevitable last-ish moment drop outs they bent over backwards for us.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I hear good things about Ashbury near Okehampton. I dont do golf but I will be having a meal there and staying over in a couple of weeks. Seems good value to me. http://www.manorhousehotel.co.uk/Pages/19/Ashbury-Hotel.html

If you do make it into the area PM me and I will join you for a pint if you can face it.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    red_murph said:

East Brighton course is good. Links-ish but high up though and the wind is challenging to say the least.

Foxhills is amazing and the Longcross course is probably my favourite English one. It's stunning. It was a very formal environment for the evening part though and maybe not so suited to a 21st?

Agree with the booking a B*B somewhere * then play a couple of local courses - but don't rate Foxhills at all. Played it a couple of times & the fairways always seem to haver work being done on them. (draining ditches and/or bare patches not marked GUR)

east Brighton s a good shout, esp in the winter as it drains well due to the chalk & so always in good nick.

same goes for Eastbourne - 2 courses plus a couple only a few miles away.

can also rate Bournemouth - 3 or 4 top courses there & good nightlife too - and if you want to go a bit further along the coast there is a niteclub in Wymouth I would go back to time & again.

Then again, there's not many places I haven't played in the UK. Wales & Scotland have to be my favourites, due to being plenty of cheap links courses -not got over to Ireland though
  • Options
    Five lakes near colchester is very good. Two courses, one a linx and a nightclub on site. Went recently for a mate's 40th and only cost £120 for three rounds and two night stay.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'll second @red_murph on Dale Hill. Need to stay there as it's the middle of nowhere but great breakfasts and the woosnam course is great if you want to open your shoulders a bit. Old course is god too if a tad short. My mate who organised our annual Portugal jolly is a member there so may be able to advise in special deals.
  • Options
    The Warwickshire is pretty good - two challenging courses, good clubhouse and a decent hotel.

But I would second Bournemouth. A society I'm in went there for about 10 years running before we switched to Spain for the last three years - but we are back there next year. Loads of great courses within a 10 mile radius and the nightlife is fantastic (even for an old codger like me).
  • Options
    Agree with all that has been said so far,

However for the mixture of golf courses and the night life I would definitely go to Bournemouth,
    Me and my mates go there nearly every year,

We often stay at the Lodge on the Merrick Park, from there it is a 10 minute walk into town.
    The Isle of Purbeck golf course is a must!!

Just come back from an overnight stay at Dale Hill, and as said previously 2 great courses however limited night life, unless you get a cab into town.

• Options
    Onlyme said:

Agree with all that has been said so far,

However for the mixture of golf courses and the night life I would definitely go to Bournemouth,
    Me and my mates go there nearly every year,

We often stay at the Lodge on the Merrick Park, from there it is a 10 minute walk into town.
    The Isle of Purbeck golf course is a must!!

Just come back from an overnight stay at Dale Hill, and as said previously 2 great courses however limited night life, unless you get a cab into town.

Agreed - but impossible if it's windy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I hear good things about Ashbury near Okehampton. I dont do golf but I will be having a meal there and staying over in a couple of weeks. Seems good value to me. http://www.manorhousehotel.co.uk/Pages/19/Ashbury-Hotel.html

If you do make it into the area PM me and I will join you for a pint if you can face it.

I did a couple of days here on the Ryder Cup weekend this year. Golf, accommodation and nose-bag all inclusive was financially a really good deal. The whole place feels like a massive cow shed with loads of chipboard walls covered in artex - a proper artex lovers paradise. It's basic, it's cheap - it does pretty much everything you need it to and the golf courses themselves are all decent - nothing outstanding, but probably better than your average P&P.

You can't take the buggies onto the fairways - which is pretty annoying when you have to keep trotting to and from the paths running down the sides of every hole. If you do go here and it's tipping it down with rain, ask for a buggy with doors. It's like an extra £2 and well worth it.

In theory our group were going to do a trip to Okehampton for the night - but we're all getting older now and when push came to shove no-one could be bothered. The complex has loads of bar space, sports screens everywhere, Snooker hall, bowling alley and tons of other sporting and crafting guff you won't bother with, as you'll be drinking in the bar.
    For 21 year old's wanting to chase birds in the evening this probably wouldn't be the place - but for a weekend just playing golf and boozing with your mates, I thought it was a really good fun.
  • Options
    I went up to Forest of Arden earlier this year - very nice but not easy on the pocket.

Celtic manor do some decent deals I believe

Dunstan Hall in Norwich is nice and their Sunday driver includes 2 rounds, dinner, bed and Breakfast. Not done it for years but was under £100 a head I think
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Belfry - nightclub on site.

If you're based in the SE, have a look at Le Touquet. Northern France but doable in 3 hours door to door for me
  • Options
    White Horse, putting green round Maryon Park repeat. 19th hole back in the White Horse, specially if the strippers are on
  • Options
    Cheers all,
    Hes a pretty mature 21, couple of his mates rest of the group are 40s.

Doesn't have to be nightclub just don't want a barmen looking at his watch at 9pm with a log fire burning in the background :)

Gonna take all on board above and have a proper look into it, probably book for May time.

Afka ill prob contact for info on few of your visit.