Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rod Liddle's article in Sunday Times 20/11/2016

Excerpt from todays paper:

Meanwhile, the madness continues in the division below, at Charlton Athletic. Incidentally, Jimmy Floyd has already ruled himself out of sipping from that particular smashed up chalice, sensibly enough. I had rather hoped, for reasons of local spite, that the Addicks might end up with Mr Holloway, but it was not to be. Russell Slade was sacked after Charlton’s 3-0 defeat by Swindon Town last week, with the club in 15th position in League One. Holloway and Charlton would have been an excellent match, seeing as the club show every indication of being administered by the inmates of a mental institution. Slade didn’t stand a chance — and I had suspected he would leave before now, as he didn’t fit in with owner Roland Duchatelet’s infamous “network” of appointees, who are generally characterised by their complete and utter lack of knowledge of football.
Slade became Duchatelet’s sixth managerial casualty in less than three years and the fans, while not terribly dispirited at seeing the back of Slade, who is not renowned for the flamboyance of his teams, are still in open revolt. Before a recent game against Coventry, the two sets of fans staged a joint protest march outside the ground — Coventry are also run by people who have absolutely no regard for the club’s history, supporters and future. Then, during the game, plastic pigs were flung onto the pitch. I don’t know why it was pigs. Something to do with pigs might fly?
The likely replacement for Slade is a man called Chris O’Loughlin, who is indeed part of Duchatelet’s inept and hilarious network. Unknown in this country, O Loughlin’s only senior managerial appointment came with a few months at a Belgian club called Sint-Truiden and a couple of years at the might of AS Vita, who play in what we used to call the Belgian Congo and now refer to as the DRC.

Charlton have spent money, but they have clearly not spent it terribly well. They hover three points above the trapdoor to a division in which the club have never in their 111-year history participated. Duchatelet has not attended a game in two years and the club have also distinguished themselves by persecuting outspoken critics of the administration, even forcing one applicant for a season ticket not to slag them off any more.

Katrien Meire, the club’s loathed chief executive, has also had to deny demanding that the radio network TalkSport block calls from fans who are antithetical to the way the club is being run — which, by my reckoning, amounts to pretty much all of them.

The Charlton supporters deserve a medal for their continued objection to the destruction, through ineptitude, of one of the country’s most likeable clubs. There but for the grace of God ... this sort of thing could easily happen to your club, too.

Comments

• Options
    Blimey ! I thought he was a Spanner?
  • Options
    Nice piece.
  • Options
    Excellent.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Blimey ! I thought he was a Spanner?

He is but he has now gone up in my estimation
  • Options
    Please God Katies bought the Times this morning.
  • Options
    Nice one Rod, he writes a lot of good stuff ... although it must be said that, on occasion, he also writes crap.
  • Options
    Can't stand the man, but has clearly spent the time finding out what has been going on. Kudos
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Opening (trap) doors to new horizons might just be Rolands new mantra!
  • Options
    Good article.
  • Options
    Decent article from Liddle and more publicity against the ongoing inept running of the football club
  • Options
    A good summing up.
  • Options
    You know things are bad when a Millwall supporter pity's your predicament.
    No doubt that will change next month.
  • Options
    Want to see this on the Club's OS Media Watch.

If not why not? It's fair comment after all.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    A damning article in the country's top Sunday broadsheet - fair play to Liddle.
    I'd struggle to write the same if our clubs' roles had been reversed.
  • Options
    Thankyou Rod for introducing me to a whole new concept. A kind word to say about a Spanner!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We all support a club and have a natural dislike for most others. But none of us would wish what is happening to us on anyone else.
  • Options

We all support a club and have a natural dislike for most others. But none of us would wish what is happening to us on anyone else.

Agreed ...well, unless it was Palaaarse
  • Options
    Great stuff, Rod & thanks for helping keep our plight in the public eye.
  • Options
    Fair do. Credit where due
  • Options
    Great article But it still won't shift the Rat out of our club!
  • Options
    That is eloquent and more genuinely sympathetic than his previous words on the subject. Hats off to him.
  • Options

I'd wish this on p***** all day long, and more!
  • Options
    A very uncharacteristic good article from a weasel of a man.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for ValleyGary to come on and talk about Josef Fritzl.