Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why does Roland stand by KM?

We go through managers at an incredible pace yet our appalling CEO remains spouting a stream of garbage and becoming increasingly deluded. If RD got rid of her he might buy himself a bit of time.
Why does RD support her or is it just part of his master plan to destroy our club? I'm not sure which of the two I despise more.
She is a complete chancer who loves playing the victim card and seems to care about little apart from her ego and career.
The only thing that could make matters worse is Pardew returning as manager....

Comments

• Options
    Surely Dowie!
  • Options
    He stands by her as he is arrogant. If she goes it's his mistake. All the other failures are partly someone else.
    There is, of course, the other argument and that is he does not care. Which has as much credence as the club cannot even start to recover until she goes.
  • Options
    He is also very good friends with her parents.
  • Options
    Because none of all this is their fault. It's yours.
  • Options

As Charlton's situation has got worse and worse over the past couple of years I've always wondered what makes Meire absolutely unsackable when she is clearly an utter failure as CEO. Not only are we the victims of incompetence but nepotism too!
  • Options
    KM, Driesen, O'Loughlin: when it comes to football Roland doesn't recruit on merit. He recruits people who think he's wonderful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I think a good CEO could have made a big difference. She has said things that didn't need saying at the time which has driven a wedge between club and fans. Maybe it has done us a favour but she just doesn't know what to say from a strategic perspective. She could have fought for managers like Powell or Riga or even Peeters - who I rated. She could have demanded more control and run the club well!
  • Options
    A question nobody can get anywhere near to answering, it all defies logic.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Missed It said:

As Charlton's situation has got worse and worse over the past couple of years I've always wondered what makes Meire absolutely unsackable when she is clearly an utter failure as CEO. Not only are we the victims of incompetence but nepotism too!
    You are judging her role as CEO in the same way that you would judge any normal CEO position. The more I think about this the more I realise that she is not doing a CEO role, she merely has the title.

If you listen to her earlier interviews and a discussion I had with her in April, when she talks about her role it is not about the business, it is about being between RD and the fans. Far from being a CEO she is a middle to junior manager making tactical decisions, whereas RD makes the strategic ones. Every now and then she forgets her position and tries to contribute to the strategy .. Peters and Luzon sacking and appointment and Slade here for the long term, and he reminds her she is a small cog, who is here to take the flak!

Not for a moment do I believe that RD does not know every fine detail of what goes on at the Valley, but then I used to work for someone like him and he had spies every where, plus he is a detail man and will want information to the finest of details sent to him and not just by her.

You would have thought with the many slap downs that have undermined her credibility in the worst possible ways (on top of her PR gaffes) she would have had enough and resigned and maybe the clue to her not having done so are two fold:-

Her unknown salary is golden handcuffs, where could she earn what she earns here, as a copyright lawyer.

How else would she get her 15 minutes of fame. Whilst much of it is negative how often has the media wanted to put her on TV or in the press and if she were a copyright lawyer how often would her views be sought after!?
    Spot on Kap10
  • Options
    Because he bought the club for her
  • Options
    Because she likes the taste of his.........

Sandwiches.
  • Options
    Perhaps she just knows too much about Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why does RD support her?

Her flexibility as shown on her tinder profile.
  • Options

This is what I've heard from someone with decent contacts. She is "like a niece."
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

This is what I've heard from someone with decent contacts. She is "like a niece."
    I would go for this Option.

I don't believe it's the same as when David met Karen ?
    Sullivan gave the CEO's job at Birmingham, to 23 year old Brady after she impressed him with her adverting work she did for his Wank artistic Magazines.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Which is pathetic. Would the owner of a major company give the CEO's job to someone completely unqualified just because she was a family friend. No he'd get her a job as a receptionist or PA
  • Options
    I find hard to understand why he does. Even when he shags her she just thinks of Naby Sarr.
  • Options
    Both are fans of ATM
  • Options
    To answer the question at the head of this thread one would first need to know what Roland considers a success and failure in the running of our club. As supporters our first instinct when considering whether Charlton are being successful or not is to look at the league table and we would assume that the owner would do likewise. However it seems quite clear that Roland either doesn't get how football supporters think and/or doesn't care. He is, by a country mile, the richest owner we have ever had but we are currently looking at our worst finishing position in well over eighty years. St Truiden his home town team are currently heading for relegation. By all accounts he has never been someone who has been interested in football but he has now acquired a string of clubs in various countries. Why? Other clubs such as Cardiff and Hull have had foreign, eccentric and very rich owners who had some strange ideas. Cardiff changed their colours to red and the owner of Hull wanted to change their name. Both of these owners, however, understood the basic fans concept of footballing success and were prepared to fund those clubs reaching the Premier League. It appears that Roland has no desire to do that.

My own theory is that it ties in someway with his political beliefs. Charlton should accept that they are never going to be as big as Manchester United so what is the point of even aspiring to compete with them. If, at point in the future, Charlton can break even by nurturing and selling players whilst finishing, say, nineteenth in the third level of English football in front of crowds of 3500, that is what Charlton should aim for. In those terms, why should he sack Katrien?

• Options
    It's a good question. Slade performed his role better than KM does but still she remains. When compared to the managers, only Fraeye competes when it comes to incompetence.
  • Options
    I would still argue that, incompetent though Fraeye clearly was, he was miles more competent as a manager than KM is as CEO.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I think it started like this. She said she was recruited to do law work for him, in the context of Standard Liege's position in TV rights bargaining in competition with other Pro League clubs. I suspect she still does law work for him with respect to the rest of his Staprix empire and maybe even the electronics empire, sometimes.

I also subscribe to the Uncle Roly theory, so he has probably been trying to groom her (gulp) for senior management. The CEO job is part figurehead/buffer between him and the everyday business of the club, part learning experience, with, as Kap says, limited real power. She probably disagrees with him more often than we know, but she has to pick her battlefields very carefully.

Whether he feels his plan for her is still working, his loyalty to her is not outweighed by any concerns over her performance and he clearly doesn't care too much about how she affects the club.