Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is writing articles for the website?!

WSSWSS
edited November 2016 in General Charlton
"Charlton Athletic has moved to update supporters on the progress being made in the club’s search for a new Manager. "

"Once this process is complete, Charlton is committed to securing the best person to take the club forward, with the aim of achieving its number one priority – promotion back to the Sky Bet Championship at the earliest opportunity"

So messy and reads like an external press release. So shoddy.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-3429583.aspx#AE6WPMtppHmTAOeC.99

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2016
    Love it also when the author is 'cafc.co.uk' and nobody puts their name to it...
  • Options

Katrien?

New boy Tom Rubbishshow?

• Options
    All the people in the press team that knew what they were doing left a long time ago.
  • Options
    Implies they're not committed to securing the best person until the process is complete... Dreadful
  • Options
    The website is awful. Constant grammatical mistakes, spelling errors and incorrect information as well articles that are woefully out of date.

That department needs some investment (and probably someone to run it who knows what they're doing).

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I wouldn't be too harsh on the comms staff. They are not in control of the message and they are obviously overworked and under managed - or rather managed by people who have little clue what day of the week it is. Time this was updated, though, surely - unless Murray is still chairman three and half months after they announced he wasn't?

• Options
    Everything that is coming out the club at the moment is clearly written by someone who has a basic understand of writing a press release, and little understanding of the audience.

Pitch, I know when you read the chapter on press releases in Marketing for Dummies it always said write in third person, but news outlets won't pick this up, it's a nothing story.

You know who will pick it up? Us, the fans. To us cafc.co.uk is the mouthpiece of the club. Write with us in mind, don't talk to us in such a robotic and clinical manner, otherwise you're just serving to increase the growing divide between us and you.
  • Options

Everything that is coming out the club at the moment is clearly written by someone who has a basic understand of writing a press release, and little understanding of the audience.

Pitch, I know when you read the chapter on press releases in Marketing for Dummies it always said write in third person, but news outlets won't pick this up, it's a nothing story.

You know who will pick it up? Us, the fans. To us cafc.co.uk is the mouthpiece of the club. Write with us in mind, don't talk to us in such a robotic and clinical manner, otherwise you're just serving to increase the growing divide between us and you.

I'm not convinced it is. If there's one thing you want in a press release it's absolute clarity, as you can never be certain how it will be used or by whom. Much of this is meaningless twaddle: 'Charlton Athletic has moved to update supporters '.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'Them and us.'

And it's been like that from the day they arrived.
  • Options
    "Charlton Athletic has moved to update supporters on the progress being made in the club’s search for a new Manager"

Is there any point to this sentence when you already have a headline saying the process is ongoing.
  • Options
    I can only imagine this has been done to honour the promise of more communication.

It really doesn't read as though Katrien is fully signed up to the notion though.

Hence this petulant school girl piece.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I love the way they even try to spin promotion now as if it's not possible and hasn't been possible since May of this year when they knew we'd be in League One (or was it April?)

'..promotion back to the Sky Bet Championship at the earliest opportunity'

So, unless I've missed something Katrien Meire, Roland Duchatelet, Tony Keohane and now the latest puppet,Tom Rubashow, the 'earliest opportunity' as you've tried to spin it, is, and has always been, this season. So, by your own target, that you've repeatedly and publicly set, we should gain promotion in May 2017. Anything else is another failure.

You really should stop making CARD's job so easy.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

"Charlton Athletic has moved to update supporters on the progress being made in the club’s search for a new Manager".

Blimey, is this a clever hint that Varney's consortium has, in fact bought the club and we are heading to the Peninsula as Miss KM so warned us......or am I reading too much into it......or is it just appalling English.........or both.
  • Options

I wouldn't be too harsh on the comms staff. They are not in control of the message and they are obviously overworked and under managed - or rather managed by people who have little clue what day of the week it is. Time this was updated, though, surely - unless Murray is still chairman three and half months after they announced he wasn't?

Sums them up. No attention to detail. Or to the bigger things come to that.
  • Options

The club "have" provided an update; the club "is" committed . . .

Cut them some slack AB, they're probably not English and therefore can't speak English proper.
  • Options

There was a video on the club's YouTube channel with the title 'minutes applause before the Port Vale game'

Now I may be wrong but seems I missed all the applause with everyone standing in silence..

Did they put up a picture of Graham Moore or Alan Campbell alongside it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

There was a video on the club's YouTube channel with the title 'minutes applause before the Port Vale game'

Now I may be wrong but seems I missed all the applause with everyone standing in silence..

Did they put up a picture of Graham Moore or Alan Campbell alongside it?
    No, Charlie Wright.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

"Charlton Athletic has moved to update supporters on the progress being made in the club’s search for a new Manager".

Blimey, is this a clever hint that Varney's consortium has, in fact bought the club and we are heading to the Peninsula as Miss KM so warned us......or am I reading too much into it......or is it just appalling English.........or both.
    Its really bizarre phrasing, after all: the very statement itself is the attempt at updating us on the progress. It's completely redundant and smells of someone being told "we need to update the fans", so they write "we're updating the fans".

As others have pointed out, this is a communication that appears to be aimed at someone else - and in it their detailing the communications aimed at us.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    So now the club is under fire because of its use of syntax in an insignificant update. I can imagine how it must rankle with the numerous Oscar Wildes on here.
    Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.
  • Options
    I always used to laugh at Spurs when they used to capitalise "manager", "club", "coach", "board", etc in their pompous match programme.

Never dreamt we'd become the sort of two-bit club to do that as well.

I expect the comms staff are simply writing down what they're told and publishing it verbatim. Which tells its own story.
  • Options
    "Charlton Athletic has moved to update supporters on the progress being made in the club’s search for a new Manager. " #emotional

Well I for one feel well & truly honoured !! #touched

The only "moved" I'm interested in however is the news that RD/KM et al have moved on #DoOne
  • Options
    Redskin said:

So now the club is under fire because of its use of syntax in an insignificant update. I can imagine how it must rankle with the numerous Oscar Wildes on here.
    Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

As I mentioned elsewhere, for me it's more about the frosty detachment that comes across like a corporate update on the extent of the damage after a dreadful disaster. Oh, now I understand!
  • Options
    Lord haw haw
  • Options
    I had no idea what the update was trying to communicate until I read it a few times.

Was it:

'We know you are interested in who the next manager of Charlton will be. We are still going through the interview process.

We want to hire a new manager who will bring stability to the club and build on Russell Slade's successes.

We want promotion ideally this year but if not, next year.

As soon as we have agreed terms we will let you know as we know you want to know,

Come on you Reds.

Katrien Meire - CEO CAFC'

• Options
    It's a huge sign that the club is being run to the ground. It's awful.

Considering;

1. I believe most people on this forum would write better club statements. Some on here would genuinely be particularly pretty good at that sort of thing.

2. Most people on here would take more care and time with a final edit of a "club statement" because if you don't, you are embarrassing yourself and the club.
    It carries a high Audience of communication.
    Common sense.

It's something people would genuinely probably do better, even if they wasn't paid to do it.

The people that write these knobhead statements are of course club employees.

Nothing, from the club, says "we don't give a f*ck" quite like this.

From previous ownership, "club statements" we're things you wouldn't really dissect as they would have carried the bare minimum of professionalism.