Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our departed manager

How much of tonight was perhaps down to what Russel had been building, even Nugent said this was a long time coming and new sooner or later some team would cop a hiding. So were we a bit hasty to get shot, will a new manager carry it through or change it all again to their way, lets hope its not back to square one.
Seems strange we are looking for a new manager after a 5 - 1 win

Comments

• Options
    Course we were hasty to get shot.

Shows complete incompetence from Meire and Duchatelet
  • Options
    Not a coincidence we won 5-1 last night. Slide was shocking. Different team talk, different results.
  • Options
    I fon't give Slade a scrap of credit for two wins we achieved after sacking him. His football was dire and I'm glad he's gone. Given Nugent's CV, does he really deserve the job after two matches? Fraeye won two soon into his reign too.
  • Options

I fon't give Slade a scrap of credit for two wins we achieved after sacking him. His football was dire and I'm glad he's gone. Given Nugent's CV, does he really deserve the job after two matches? Fraeye won two soon into his reign too.

The difference is that nugent played the game professionally and has proper coaching experience
  • Options

Had Slade have been in charge, we would've set up as 4-5-1 as Bristol Rovers on a Tuesday night aaay would be a 'good point'. Slade is very negative. Overly cautious. Slade wouldn't have thought about playing Chicksen in front of Fox. He would've tried to fit Jacko in somewhere. Good riddance. The fact he was appointed in the first place shows incompetence from KM and RD.

Exactly. No way would we have got that sort of result last night with Slade in charge. Nice guy but far too cautious and his football was boring. He was sacked by Cardiff for exactly the same reason.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    And we have been saying that the team needs a positive approach. When we get it, we win. Slade had the players to do far better than he did but he is one of a number of English managers that always think safety first. If you have a defence that is your strength and a weak attack it is valid but whilst our defence is decent at this level it does concede when on the back foot. Slade plays the way he plays no matter what players he has - he did it with Cardiff at the Valley. He has no balls as a manager and no awareness of his limitations despite the fans singing him clues! Despite being his assistant, Nugent clearly has his own mind and is a positive manager.

With the players we have, we need a positive manager. We have one in place. So if you are not an idiot, what do you do? This is the flaw in us taking advantage of the bonus that Nugent has potentially given us.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Dont give Slade unmerited credit IMO

Just shows the lack of rapport he had with the squad. Players dont respond to him and i have heard he was severly lacking in respect/love/motivation from several of them

The nicky ajose relationship was aired in public. Everyone saw how much of a man manager he was there i.e. total disaster

We are so better of rid of that buffoon. Just need rid of the Waloon now.
  • Options
    I didn't get around to posting on the Port Vale post match thread but I felt (and I think a few mentioned) we pressed higher up the pitch and it made a difference. Foley even got in the box from right back trying to get on to a cross. Slade would have never allowed that!

There were at least a couple of games I remember under Slade where the midfield were retreating instead of closing down. The midfield were getting the blame for being too slow and lacking energy. League One isn't filled with mobile energetic box to box midfielders. As I've said before we won this division with a slow midfield. The number of draws show Slade wasn't getting the best out of this squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They are clearly playing for Nugent - Please don't be your usual stupid self Meire and change it!
  • Options
    Football is about winning and entertaining, not drawing and not hanging on to a one goal lead with 45 minutes to go.
    I never wanted Slade, ( nice man though he may be), the idiots in charge didn't even have him as first choice and that is saying something about where we are.
    Two wins out of two, that's champions league form. As soon as I've finished my coffee I'm straight on the official web site and downloading a ticket.

Thanks Katy, Roly Tony and all the other experts for putting all things right in the last 7 days. All I need now is a new owner for MY football club and 2016 will go down as a fantastic year.
  • Options
    I haven't mentioned this before but before the Fleetwood match I was coincidentally staying at the same hotel as the team.
    I had a brief chat with Slade. I said we needed three points against a team like Fleetwood and that nothing less was acceptable.
    He looked at me as if I was mad for even thinking that there was a slight chance of winning anywhere away from home.
    And of course we were quite lucky to scrape a draw.
    The man was far too cautious. It was clear to me that he lacked a winning mentality and that inevitably rubbed off on the team.
  • Options
    He made some decent signings, and then had absolutely no idea what to do with them. The 11 is always decent, but the defensive mindset was a killer for us
  • Options

They are clearly playing for Nugent - Please don't be your usual stupid self Meire and change it!

Unfortunately I think she will (Robinson) at least Nugent can say he was our most successful manager ever.
  • Options

You're forgetting one important factor here. Nugent has said he doesn't want the managerial job, so we can't actually blame Meire for this one.
  • Options
    Southgate said he didn't want the England job!
  • Options
    I genuinely think that with these owners part of the issue was that Slade knew he was always one bad result from losing his job. That's gonna worry you and you'll play it safe. Nugent doesnt have that issue so is free to go out there and let the boys play with freedom.
  • Options

I genuinely think that with these owners part of the issue was that Slade knew he was always one bad result from losing his job. That's gonna worry you and you'll play it safe. Nugent doesnt have that issue so is free to go out there and let the boys play with freedom.

Chances are the players felt the same and there was probably more of a feeling of being cautious (safety first) than there has been in the last two games.
  • Options
    The team last night looked nothing like one of Slade's teams. They were full of confidence and were constantly trying to move the ball quickly and bring others into the game. The negativity just wasn't there. I always found Slade's tactics going forward predictable and one dimensional. Last night it appeared players wanted the ball, were not afraid to have a shot and we moved the ball through the middle and down the wings.

I do wonder if Holmes being missing also forces the players to look for other options. Holmes is always looking for the ball when he is playing and isn't afraid to try to make things happen. If we have one or two players that like to duck responsibility it's easy to get the ball to Holmes and let him get on with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't think not having Holmes strengthens us but players get injuries and you have to adjust. We have anattack that hasn't scored enough goals over the season so far, but I don't reckon I would swap Lookman or Magennis with many and you only have to look at Ajose's record last year. You have to create chances and under Slade this was not given enough priority, especially away from home.
  • Options
    Slade would never have won a game 5-1, would have shut up shop at 1-0 and held on for a draw.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Slade would never have won a game 5-1, would have shut up shop at 1-0 and held on for a draw.

Very likely we would have done.

The frustration we all felt with Slade was that - whilst understanding his desire to be tight at the back and not lose too many - with a squad that has 11 players with Premiership/International experience + Lookman. Holmes, Pearce, Ajose, Solly and Fox we really ought to have been far higher in the League by now.
  • Options
    Lookman was back on corners again. If only Bauer hadn't scored from one Nugent would have been sacked.....
  • Options
    Stig said:

Moan, moan, moan. He's been gone for best part of a fortnight and still people are moaning about Slade. I think it's about time we cut him some slack and started crediting him with some of the great work that he did down at the training ground.

He ate a napkin?