Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Schism

Whilst helping to hand out some protest items today, I noticed that the anti-protest brigade have become very vitrolic. IMHO, of those that attend, about 70% seem to be in favour and very upbeat, 20% just refuse with a smile but around 10% are very vocal in their dissent. Has anyone else noticed that the naysayers seem to be losing their cool? (With apologies to oohahh for the percentages)

Comments

• Options
    Hope they never got a sticker!
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

Whilst helping to hand out some protest items today, I noticed that the anti-protest brigade have become very vitrolic. IMHO, of those that attend, about 70% seem to be in favour and very upbeat, 20% just refuse with a smile but around 10% are very vocal in their dissent. Has anyone else noticed that the naysayers seem to be losing their cool? (With apologies to oohahh for the percentages)

Previously when handing out things before protests I found that people that didn't want to take whatever we were handing said no, or walked past, politely. Noticable difference today. Oh the joy of being called a prick by someone! Others swearing under their breath and the odd few shouting and arguing. No one had a stress ball forced down their trousers - we were all polite and friendly.
  • Options
    There's five that sit behind me and my son in the East Stand, never stop moaning about the protests and think that we should stop protesting and allow the SMT time.

Needless to say, we are not in agreement.

However, I actually think the pro-regimers are increasing in numbers unfortunately. Many seem to be getting either bemused or annoyed with the protests ...plus we no longer have the impact of something new. Inevitable I guess, but we shouldn't stop.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I don't see anyone who is pro-regime, rather there are people who just want to watch football. I think that's fair enough.

Absolutely I agree with that. Some people wont watch and protest, some dont care about the protest and some like me like a good protest at the start and THEN I like to watch a game. My point was that IMHO, most who dont want to join in just say no but the small percentage that are decidedly anti-protest seem to have got angrier
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

se9addick said:

I don't see anyone who is pro-regime, rather there are people who just want to watch football. I think that's fair enough.

Absolutely I agree with that. Some people wont watch and protest, some dont care about the protest and some like me like a good protest at the start and THEN I like to watch a game. My point was that IMHO, most who dont want to join in just say no but the small percentage that are decidedly anti-protest seem to have got angrier
    They need to convince themselves that they are right, there's no problem and Slade, sorry Nugent, sorry I mean Robinson is the right man so they mouth off when walking away.

Always been a fee apologists who mouthed off at protesters from the first 2 percent protest in any case.

Remember that. It was only 2% once but growing ever since.
  • Options
    We heard Fanny getting a mouthful as we arrived but nothing to offensive. It's a very English thing to not make a fuss and put up with things we don't like. If this was in France , Italy, Spain or South America the demo's would be much more aggressive. Our are quite genteel really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016

• Options
    I had someone give me an earful at the 2% protest last year. Also when giving out balloons a different game last season. And again at Coventry this year. It's not new but yes I guess as at proportion of the total they are greater. This probably gives them more confidence to mouth off.
  • Options
    The only reason we have a young Manager appointed now is because of the protests.
    With no protests we would have Nobby Vinegar or Chris O' Nil as head coach and picking Roland's team.
    The schism was always going to happen and as more of the hard core fans are staying away from home matches the split was going to show up more.

The shame for Roland is if he had seen the light after 6 months and not 3 years, bridges could have been mended but when he kept Meire in the job as CEO you know that he doesn't take the Job of being the custodian of CAFC as a priority in his Business Empire.

In years to come people will say, were you a Roundhead or a Cavalier in the
    war of the Flemish, customer, sofa, Pinocchio, Douchebag, Charlton till i die, manager for a month battles for our CAFC soul.

Have a quick look at yourselves if not sure !
  • Options
    Which side is cavaliers and which is Roundheads?
  • Options
    hh
    edited November 2016
    We had a bit of abuse when applauding the taxis today. "Effing idiots" "slapper song" "not real Charlton fans" was the best explanation these blokes could give. Didn't convince me to change - you must try harder.
  • Options

Good question Dave ?

I would say the Cavaliers fought for Charles 1st/Roland/Katrien
    Against the Roundheads/Cromwell/CARD

I would have said
    Knobs or Knockers ? ( too sexist)

or even Rexits or Remainers ( too Political)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    At times of tension, people need to pick sides. They're encouraged to avoid nuance or negotiation - others are either brilliant or wankers and there's nothing in between. Encouraged by a media culture that wields more power and makes a bigger profit when it polarises and distorts, people fall more and more firmly into two flocks, two folds. They are encouraged to devote their most positive and negative emotions to each side respectively. It becomes performative - who can demonstrate their devotion to Side A the most? Hate Side B with the fiercest and most profane passion? And before you know it, Charlton are finishing about 6th in the table and everybody's looking at themselves feeling faintly embarrassed.
  • Options
    yeah.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

yeah.

Yeah/that's gone right over my bald head.

• Options

Good question Dave ?

I would have said

So nothing to do with circumcision?
  • Options
    If Roland Makes Fanny Fanackapan CEO, Airman Brown
    Press Officer and Henry Irvine/Joe Read as the Fans on the Board,
    Then maybe all is not lost.

You can get 10,000/1 with Paddy Power.
  • Options

Good question Dave ?

I would have said

well i vote for you to stand in Ransom walk and check who 's in which camp.
    Right gentlemen, if you can form an orderly queue and please have your flies undone in preparation for today's inspection.

Don't forget that to save time in the future you can see @Baldybonce regarding a photo card.

Who's first?
  • Options

Good question Dave ?

I would have said

well i vote for you to stand in Ransom walk and check who 's in which camp.
    Right gentlemen, if you can form an orderly queue and please have your flies undone in preparation for today's inspection.

Don't forget that to save time in the future you can see @Baldybonce regarding a photo card.

Who's first?
    i think I'll join the boycotters..
  • Options

Well, Roland and Pinocchio are being very cavalier with their stewardship of our club...
  • Options
    Leuth said:

At times of tension, people need to pick sides. They're encouraged to avoid nuance or negotiation - others are either brilliant or wankers and there's nothing in between. Encouraged by a media culture that wields more power and makes a bigger profit when it polarises and distorts, people fall more and more firmly into two flocks, two folds. They are encouraged to devote their most positive and negative emotions to each side respectively. It becomes performative - who can demonstrate their devotion to Side A the most? Hate Side B with the fiercest and most profane passion? And before you know it, Charlton are finishing about 6th in the table and everybody's looking at themselves feeling faintly embarrassed.

that sounds like far too much effort. I think I'm going to sit it out.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

But teams don't get promoted for finishing sixth, even when it would do no more than put them back where they were a few months ago.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

There's five that sit behind me and my son in the East Stand, never stop moaning about the protests and think that we should stop protesting and allow the SMT time.

Needless to say, we are not in agreement.

However, I actually think the pro-regimers are increasing in numbers unfortunately. Many seem to be getting either bemused or annoyed with the protests ...plus we no longer have the impact of something new. Inevitable I guess, but we shouldn't stop.

Not increasing in numbers. Just the anti-regimers that go to the game are decreasing in numbers.
    To me, that was always the flaw in the Boycott approach. It ain't rocket science, if those that don't like the regime don't go then all that will be left in the ground on match days will just be those that go to see a game of football or to support the team no matter what and when the boycotters come back occasionally for a protest day they are seen as outsiders and, increasingly, as the enemy.