Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manager's XI

Bumped into Dr Kish before the game yesterday and after sharing the latest gossip we remarked on how few of our recent managers had impressive playing careers.

So later in the Lib @Norman_Smith and I were trying to work out the strongest side you could pick from our managers since 1921.

Albert Lindon in goal as the only keeper but who would be the rest of the side?

Comments

• Options
    Alan Mullery
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    ignore
  • Options
    Mike Bailey
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani
  • Options
    Powell
  • Options
    At what level did Duchatalet play?
  • Options
    Well the left back is obvious.
  • Options
    Stokeo Nelson Powell
    Mullery Curbs Gritt Parkinson
    Pardew
    Firmani Dowie
  • Options
    Keith Peacock was Caretaker manager for a game or two, as was Ben Roberts i think.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Decent side, @Jack Charlton , but Mike Bailey must get in the side. Theo Foley could be the missing full back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob Peeters probably had the best playing career of all the RD era managers
  • Options
    Managers from 1921 Jimmy Seed and Jimmy trotter were both good players both strikers who played in the first division
  • Options

Luzon, Fraeye, never played pro due to injury Slade and Robinson played non-league, Riga seems to have a long career with a small Belgium club but can't find many details.

Peeters played for Millwall.
  • Options

Luzon, Fraeye, never played pro due to injury Slade and Robinson played non-league, Riga seems to have a long career with a small Belgium club but can't find many details.

Peeters played for Millwall.
    I was trying to ignore that bit! 13 caps for Belgium and 4 goals (albeit 3 of them against San Marino!)
  • Options
    The way we're going through managers, we could have a lot more choice in 3 years' time.
  • Options

The way we're going through managers, we could have a lot more choice in 3 years' time.

Should have offered Stevie G the job, it would have improved this 11 massively!
  • Options
    Our own Steve G was co manager though.
  • Options
    Pains me to say it but Pardew and Dowie had decent playing careers.
  • Options
    They'll need someone to get them to games so Karel Fraeye can be the bus driver
  • Options

They did but can't Pardew getting in the side ahead of Bailey and Mullery both of whom were England internationals.

ditto Dowie and Peeters against Seed (England & league winner), Trotter (league winner and top flight top scorer) and Fermani (Italy and goals galore in Serie A)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They'll need someone to get them to games so Karel Fraeye can be the bus driver

Kit man with his laundry basket experience surely?
  • Options

They did but can't Pardew getting in the side ahead of Bailey and Mullery both of whom were England internationals.

ditto Dowie and Peeters against Seed (England & league winner), Trotter (league winner and top flight top scorer) and Fermani (Italy and goals galore in Serie A)
    Thank god for that!
  • Options
    Frank Hill won three championship medals with the Gooners, he played as a right half so we can now jettison Pardew.
  • Options

Frank Hill won three championship medals with the Gooners, he played as a right half so we can now jettison Pardew.

Good call.

Hill, Mullery and Bailey in a three man midfield.

Seed, Firmani and Trotter as a front three.

Foley, Stokoe, Nelson, Powell at the back.

Lindon in goal.

Subs:

Gritt as can play anywhere
    Parkinson as solid midfielder
    Curbs as creative CM
    Peacock as a winger
    Dowie as big lump to throw on
    MacFarlane
  • Options
    Seed played for England
  • Options

Pardew did a decent job for us, scored quite a few goals. Still a c**t though.
  • Options
    Andy Nelson - Centre Half
  • Options

Pardew did a decent job for us, scored quite a few goals. Still a c**t though.
    Two stand-out moments - the penalty he missed (ballooned over the bar?) (who against?) when he'd been so reliable as a penalty taker and the 50yd run through half the team to get the winner against Southend the day the East Stand was officially opened - that was quite a weird game, crap first half, 3-0 up in no time at all in the second half, pegged back to 3-3 then the winner.
  • Options
    Does anyone know which position MacFarland played?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Does anyone know which position MacFarland played?

Inside forward

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_MacFarlane