Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plane Crash - Passengers Include A Brazilian Football Team

Comments

• Options
    One of those stories that really gets you, an absolute tragedy.
  • Options

Amazing gesture from the rest of the Brazilian league.

Official statement:

In this moment of loss and profound sadness, we, the presidents of the Brazilian clubs that publish this note, would like to express our sincerest sentiments of sympathy and solidarity with the Chapecoense Football Association and its fans, especially the families and friends of the athletes, Technical commission and officials involved in the tragedy that occurred on Tuesday morning (29).

Even aware of the irreparable damage caused by this terrible event, the Clubs understand that the moment is for union, support and assistance to Chapecoense.

In this sense, the Clubs announce Solidarity Measures to Chapecoense, which will consist, among others, of:

(I) Free athlete loan for the 2017 season; and
    (Ii) Formal request to the Brazilian Football Confederation so that Chapecoense will not be subject to relegation to Serie B of the Brazilian Championship for the next 3 (three) seasons. If Chapecoense finishes the championship between the last four, the 16th place would be demoted.

This is a minimal gesture of solidarity that is now within our reach, but endowed with the most sincere goal of reconstruction of this institution and part of the Brazilian football that was lost today.

Burst out crying reading that
  • Options
    From joy and excitement to tragedy in a few hours - massive loss for so many. Makes you realise how fragile life is.
  • Options

Amazing gesture from the rest of the Brazilian league.

Official statement:

In this moment of loss and profound sadness, we, the presidents of the Brazilian clubs that publish this note, would like to express our sincerest sentiments of sympathy and solidarity with the Chapecoense Football Association and its fans, especially the families and friends of the athletes, Technical commission and officials involved in the tragedy that occurred on Tuesday morning (29).

Even aware of the irreparable damage caused by this terrible event, the Clubs understand that the moment is for union, support and assistance to Chapecoense.

In this sense, the Clubs announce Solidarity Measures to Chapecoense, which will consist, among others, of:

(I) Free athlete loan for the 2017 season; and
    (Ii) Formal request to the Brazilian Football Confederation so that Chapecoense will not be subject to relegation to Serie B of the Brazilian Championship for the next 3 (three) seasons. If Chapecoense finishes the championship between the last four, the 16th place would be demoted.

This is a minimal gesture of solidarity that is now within our reach, but endowed with the most sincere goal of reconstruction of this institution and part of the Brazilian football that was lost today.

Burst out crying reading that
    Football can be divisive, but sometimes it can be fucking magical
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Very moving article from Barry Glendenning in todays Fiver

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/29/forca-chapecoense

---

FORÇA CHAPECOENSE
    Barry Glendenning
    Tuesday 29 November 2016 15.30 GMT

Police in Colombia have confirmed that at least 75 people were killed when a plane carrying, among other passengers and crew, the first-team squad of Brazilian top-flight team Chapecoense, went down close to the town of Cerro Gordo in the early hours of Tuesday. Initial reports said there were six survivors, including players and a travelling journalist, but police said one person had died in hospital. The plane was carrying 72 passengers and nine crew members.

Based in the city of Chapecó in the state of Santa Carina, Chapecoense were en route to Medellín to play the first leg of the final of this year’s Copa Sudamericana (South America’s answer to the Europa League), against the current Copa Libertadores holders Atlético Nacional. Colombia’s El Tiempo newspaper reported there were 22 players from the squad on board as well as 22 football journalists. A 23rd Chapecoense player, whom the newspaper did not name, had been supposed to travel with his team-mates but was not on the plane. Electrical failures on the British Aerospace 146 short-haul aircraft prompted the pilot to declare an emergency before the crash. Having taken those still alive to hospital, rescuers were later forced to suspend their efforts because of bad weather at the crash site.

As news of the tragedy broke across South America, tributes to all involved were understandably quick to flood in. The Brazilian president, Michel Temer, declared three days of national mourning and offered his condolences to the friends and families of those on the plane in a series of tweets. “I express my solidarity at this sad time when dozens of Brazilian families have been affected by tragedy,” he wrote. “We are offering every form of help and assistance that we can to the families. The air force and foreign ministry have been put to work. The government will do everything possible to relieve the pain of these friends and families of Brazilian sport and journalism.” The tributes of South American fans and rival clubs were soon echoed around the world, with those of Manchester United and Torino proving particularly poignant. “The thoughts of everyone at Manchester United are with @ChapecoenseReal & all those affected by the tragedy in Colombia. #ForçaChapecoense,” tweeted United. The Serie A side declared the crash “a destiny that binds us inextricably” before declaring themselves with Chapecoense “fraternally”.

Hundreds of Chapecoense fans gathered at their stadium to mourn the players and staff killed. Vice-president, Ivan Tozzo, who was not with the team, said: “The pain is hard to take. Chapecoense was the biggest source of happiness in the city. Many in the town are crying.” Plínio David de Nes Filho, president of the club’s guiding committee, added: “Lifelong friends were on that flight. It was not just a group founded on mutual respect; it was a family. We lived in harmony, with great happiness. Before boarding the flight, they said they were going to turn their dreams into reality. The dream ended this morning.”

A modest club, Chapecoense had enjoyed an unprecedented run of success in recent years and Atlético, their opponents at the end of a fairytale run to the Copa Sudamericana final, have requested that the title be given to the stricken club. It is a heartwarming gesture at a time when all connected with Chapecoense, who were eagerly anticipating perhaps their greatest day, must now deal with the unspeakable horror of their worst.
  • Options

PSG have told Fifa they are to donate 40 millionto chapecoense. Real Madrid and barca also will be donating

A lovely tribute if true, but sadly I have a feeling that even tragic incidents like this can't seem to avoid this modern obsession with of 'fake news'.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This photo really got me.

• Options
    Sao Paulo / Palmerias / Flamengo have all offered players...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38150202
  • Options
    Electrical fault being blamed.

Seems a highly unlikely story. I'm sure it'll be found to be something else - almost always pilot error.
  • Options

Seems a highly unlikely story. I'm sure it'll be found to be something else - almost always pilot error.

Just out of curiousity... If your car passes its MOT on the Tuesday and then your driving on the motorway the following week and you crash because your brakes have followed.

Is that driver error or issue with the vehicle?
  • Options
    More sad news overnight as it looks like even the 3 surviving players won't play again. One has had a leg amputated, one has severe spinal injuries and the other is in intensive care with severe skull and chest injuries.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Nick.....I don't think you're right in suggesting most commercial aircraft accidents are pilot error.
    I watch all the Aircraft Investigations programs on TV and at a rough estimate I'd say only about 25% are pilot error. Having said that, that is not necessarily a true reflection of the actual figures of course, because they're only TV programs.
    What an awful tragedy, it sends me right back to The Busby Babes days, which I remember only too well.

RIP all you lost souls....RIP.
  • Options

More sad news overnight as it looks like even the 3 surviving players won't play again. One has had a leg amputated, one has severe spinal injuries and the other is in intensive care with severe skull and chest injuries.

Terribly sad... I guess all three will be relieved to still be alive for hopefully years to come than to have died at such a young age
  • Options
    edited November 2016

As a bit of a plane geek - I would say the BAE 146 is one of the safest. This will be a maintenance issue or pilot error. The plane was 17 years old -which in itself isn't an issue - but like anything, you have to be midful of fatigue etc...

Planes shouldn't crash and the dead deserve the reasons to come out.
  • Options
    By no means is it confirmed but the Pilot supposedly skipped a fuelling stop that should've been made, hence running out of fuel. All very weird stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laddick01 said:

By no means is it confirmed but the Pilot supposedly skipped a fuelling stop that should've been made, hence running out of fuel. All very weird stuff.

Surely this should be easy enough to confirm via something like FlightRadar? If he skipped a fuel stop then I would've thought it was known immediately.

It would cast a new light on the pilots clever actions to dump fuel though.
  • Options
    Why on earth would the pilot skip a fuel stop?
  • Options
    Heard the other day that they never fueled and also took a route that wasn't the usual?
  • Options
    I love football. It elicits an incredible array of emotions from me, but never once did I think true human (rather than footballing) devastation and emptiness would be counted among them.

The more I've read, the more despondent I've felt. Tiaguinho got the news last week that he was an expectant father; one of the survivors (a goalkeeper) has had to have either one or both legs amputated...

But then you see that loans/transfers have been offered for no cost; a potential exemption from relegation for three years; Atletico Nacional asked for the Copa Sudamericana to be awarded to Chapecoense...

My heart is with the victims (footballing or not); their families and friends; and all those affected.

#ForçaChape
  • Options
    Lump in my throat watching that video. Amazing.
  • Options

I heard on the radio that initially he (the pilot) had dumped fuel....all sounds a bit odd.
  • Options

Lump in my throat watching that video. Amazing.

Yup......me too.
  • Options

I heard on the radio that initially he (the pilot) had dumped fuel....all sounds a bit odd.
    Initial reports were that he dumped fuel because there was no fire/explosion upon crash landing. But it now appears that the plane ran out of fuel and couldn't make it to any other airport. No suggestion that he dumped fuel. Serious questions obviously have to be asked as to how and why a plane doesn't have enough fuel to complete a journey, especially as i think planes have to have an emergency fuel load on top of the norm.