Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who said men can't multi task? "MAN SNAPPED DRIVING WHILE USING THREE DEVICES AT ELEPHANT & CASTLE"

Police are hunting a driver who was filmed using a cycle lane in Elephant and Castle while using three phones at once.
Southwark News

Comments

• Options
    For the grammar nazis: "while using three phones at once", or "whilst using three phones at once"?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

For the grammar nazis: "while using three phones at once", or "whilst using three phones at once"?

Either. They are interchangeable.

• Options
    Whilst is archaic I think. At least the Americans think so. They don't like stuff like that and 'learnt' or 'earnt'.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Police are hunting a driver who was filmed using a cycle lane in Elephant and Castle while using three phones at once.
    Southwark News

3 phones? How many ears has this bloke got then?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

LuckyReds said:

Southwark News
    3 the same as Spock, the left ear, the right ear and the final front ear.

Oh come on, Greenie. I was at least expecting a 'Pardon?'
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Jints said:

LuckyReds said:

Either. They are interchangeable.

Disappointing.

I felt well clever for a moment. :(
    I believe the CL grammar police will be summoning you to a tribunal for that little faux-pas Lucky...

Remember two copies of Horse and Hounds down the back of your underpants, these boys take a run up!
  • Options
    Anyone got his number?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016

Greenie said:

LuckyReds said:

Southwark News
    3 the same as Spock, the left ear, the right ear and the final front ear.
    Oh come on, Greenie. I was at least expecting a 'Pardon?'

Sorry mate! honestly, I really am.........!
    In fact if I could flag myself, I would......!
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Just finished listening to an audio book on language and have completely changed my attitude to grammar.

Real language is the spoken variety, not what appears in print. Writing down an account for others to read is no different to translating from one language to another. Many of our grammar rules are arbitrary rules set down by 18c academics raised on Latin and Greek and infatuated with its grammatical rules for declining verbs and changing object and subject prepositions.

They thought English had decayed from its Latin roots, had stopped obeying rules of grammar and they needed to be reinstated, like preposition "whom" for the object and "who" for the subject. "Whom" was an invented word that never before had been spoken, "who" works perfectly well. "While" and "whilst" mean the same, whilst sounds posh, but is just a later version of the old English word "while" and no one is going to misunderstand what you are saying either way.

Grammar as needed for spoken language to be understood is learnt intuitively and need never be written down except for helping foreigners learn the language. We are just slaves to the whim of some fossilised old farts who wrote some arbitrary rules down 200 years ago which genteel society took to heart allowing them to distinguish themselves from the illiterate hoi polloi.
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Just finished listening to an audio book on language and have completely changed my attitude to grammar.

Real language is the spoken variety, not what appears in print. Writing down an account for others to read is no different to translating from one language to another. Many of our grammar rules are arbitrary rules set down by 18c academics raised on Latin and Greek and infatuated with its grammatical rules for declining verbs and changing object and subject prepositions.

They thought English had decayed from its Latin roots, had stopped obeying rules of grammar and they needed to be reinstated, like preposition "whom" for the object and "who" for the subject. "Whom" was an invented word that never before had been spoken, "who" works perfectly well. "While" and "whilst" mean the same, whilst sounds posh, but is just a later version of the old English word "while" and no one is going to misunderstand what you are saying either way.

Grammar as needed for spoken language to be understood is learnt intuitively and need never be written down except for helping foreigners learn the language. We are just slaves to the whim of some fossilised old farts who wrote some arbitrary rules down 200 years ago which genteel society took to heart allowing them to distinguish themselves from the illiterate hoi polloi.
    YEH!
  • Options
    edited December 2016

LuckyReds said:

Yeah... but why did he have three phones?

(Edit, just kidding: that's actually a great post, and one I shall use in defence whenever my grammar is picked on! ;))
  • Options
    I hope thy catch him. Take away his licence for a very long time. And give careful consideration to locking him up over Christmas.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I hope thy catch him. Take away his licence for a very long time. And give careful consideration to locking him up over Christmas.

If he's found, something makes me think the texting whilst driving issue maybe the least of his concerns.

As @cabbles has pointed out, having 3 phones is a bit of an alarm bell in itself.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

Yeah... but why did he have three phones?

(Edit, just kidding: that's actually a great post, and one I shall use in defence whenever my grammar is picked on! ;))
    Picked upon.