Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Train Tickets

Morning all,

I have to go to Manchester next week for a meeting and would rather go up and back on the same day than stay over. Obviously to do this I would need to go by train and travel at peak times.

I know some of you use sites other than BR to book tickets so I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction of a good site for reasonably priced tickets.

Choo, choo

Comments

• Options
    Virgin west coast will be the best as there is no booking fee & that will be the company you will travelling on.
  • Options
    depend if you go off peak or in the 'rush hour' .. London to Manc peak time is about £110, off peak about £40 .. off peak return about £70 .. not likely to find much cheaper
  • Options
    £145 rtn at peak times to fly.

Might be able to do train cheaper if you're willing to break the journey.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Train companies might as well wear a mask. Ticket prices are ridiculous and the system of buying them designed to confuse. It's a scandal.
  • Options
    Thank you for your input, I will take a look, good shout addix, might be better to fly?
  • Options

Thank you for your input, I will take a look, good shout addix, might be better to fly?

Flight time 1hr & London-Heathrow £36rtn on Heathrow Express train takes 15 mins
  • Options
    I'd just get the train to be honest, as getting to/from Manchester is probably quicker that way after you've got to Heathrow, checked in and got from Manc airport to the city centre.

They are absolute bandits during peak times though, only way around it (if this isn't on expenses) is National Express coach, and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Anybody except Roland, of course. :smiley: