Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

80s tv show?

Does anyone remember a tv programme called "Up for the cup" must have been early eighties and i'm sure it was a fans Football quiz show and Charlton done well. Tried Googling it to no avail, but i'm sure i wasn't imagining it.

Comments

• Options
    "Charlton" done well in the cup !!
    It must have been a dream .
  • Options
    Yes, quiz between supporters clubs, The Charlton Valley Club members took part
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Yes, quiz between supporters clubs, The Charlton Valley Club members took part

Cheers mate, i thought i was going mad.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm sure it wasn't a quiz it was more like a talent show with acts that appeared for the football clubs social club. At the time, Charlton had The Valley Club which used to stand where the East stand turnstiles are now. It was run by Ray Donn who was also a theatrical agent. We had acts like Jim Bowen represent us and as far as I recall, we made it through to the final before finally losing. Jim's catchphrase back then was "Dip your bread in and tell 'em nothing", which he repeated quite often.

I can't remember who else represented Charlton but I have a feeling that Carol Lee Scott may have been there too. The show was hosted by "Diddy" David Hamilton.
  • Options

I'm sure it wasn't a quiz it was more like a talent show with acts that appeared for the football clubs social club. At the time, Charlton had The Valley Club which used to stand where the East stand turnstiles are now. It was run by Ray Donn who was also a theatrical agent. We had acts like Jim Bowen represent us and as far as I recall, we made it through to the final before finally losing. Jim's catchphrase back then was "Dip your bread in and tell 'em nothing", which he repeated quite often.

I can't remember who else represented Charlton but I have a feeling that Carol Lee Scott may have been there too. The show was hosted by "Diddy" David Hamilton.

I can't imagine how I managed to avoid watching this!
  • Options
    As in when you normally fart in the bath, the whole world knows!
  • Options

Especially if your in the middle of "Plumbing World"
  • Options

Especially if your in the middle of "Plumbing World"
    Is that where you got your nickname Soapy?? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bizarrely enough I think the bloke from Minder (watermans replacement) is sitting next to me on the train
  • Options
    Yep!
  • Options
    Just googled Ray Donn, he's been in a lot of stuff and I've never heard of him!
  • Options

Just googled Ray Donn, he's been in a lot of stuff and I've never heard of him!

Yes,he's a movie and TV extra these days I think.

When he ran the Valley Club, he used to book many famous acts of that era to perform there. Most of them were his personal friends.

As I recall, once Ray left the Valley Club, Mike Bailey took it over.