Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon

2»

Comments

• Options
    Could also ask where were they
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm 100% against the way MKD was created...but I've got no problems with people who support their local club instead of just watching the PL from their armchairs

MK had a football team before the franchise pitched up, but the locals weren't arsed about non league
    Many of their fans are too young to have been aware of the non league club

And it's not as if Man U or Arsenal relocated to MK, MKD have been a 3rd tier team for the majority of their existence. Anyone who L1 football deserves a bit of respect...
    If the Milton Keynes people/ council or whoever wanted a professional club, to do it respectably, they'd have had to invest in making the non-league club more successful. That's how the pyramid works, so they effectively cheated the system and stole another club that happened to be in trouble.

Seeing your team move 50 miles away must be utterly heartbreaking, and I think it's something we can probably comprehend a bit more now given that we're experiencing an owner who could potentially leave an equally tragic legacy.

I think it's a massively unfair to tell our counterparts at AFC that they're not the real Wimbledon, especially those involved in the formation, and battles for recognition. If anything they've got more of an identity than most other clubs.
    Well said. But to be pedantic Wimbledon to MK is actually 80 miles. Not 50. Everything else, spot on.

• Options

So, are Arsenal actually Arsenal ?

Or are Charlton actually the real Arsenal, by effectively taking their place as the area's local senior team in 1913?

*sideways glance*

In all seriousness, Arsenal's flit to north London was when professional football was still a fairly recent arrival, particularly in London. Millwall had moved to south London three years beforehand; us, Palace and Chelsea were only formed five years before that. So the game as we know it hadn't quite settled down yet. MK Dons never had that excuse - so stuff 'em.

Think Arsenal were still "Woolwich Arsenal" for their first season at Highbury, which must have endeared them to the locals.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm 100% against the way MKD was created...but I've got no problems with people who support their local club instead of just watching the PL from their armchairs

MK had a football team before the franchise pitched up, but the locals weren't arsed about non league

And it's not as if Man U or Arsenal relocated to MK, MKD have been a 3rd tier team for the majority of their existence. Anyone who L1 football deserves a bit of respect...
    If the Milton Keynes people/ council or whoever wanted a professional club, to do it respectably, they'd have had to invest in making the non-league club more successful. That's how the pyramid works, so they effectively cheated the system and stole another club that happened to be in trouble.

Seeing your team move 50 miles away must be utterly heartbreaking, and I think it's something we can probably comprehend a bit more now given that we're experiencing an owner who could potentially leave an equally tragic legacy.

I think it's a massively unfair to tell our counterparts at AFC that they're not the real Wimbledon, especially those involved in the formation, and battles for recognition. If anything they've got more of an identity than most other clubs.
    I never denied the scandal of the "relocation", or that AFC are the trues heirs to Wimbledon

But for a young football fan, growing up in MK, that's ancient history now. MKD are now their local team. A 12 year old supporter of MKD wasn't even born while the original Wimbledon was in existence
  • Options
    edited December 2016

JiMMy 85 said:

I never denied the scandal of the "relocation", or that AFC are the trues heirs to Wimbledon

But for a young football fan, growing up in MK, that's ancient history now. MKD are now their local team. A 12 year old supporter of MKD wasn't even born while the original Wimbledon was in existence
    Feel a bit sorry for those kids, in all truth. It's partly for them that I still wish MKD would just go bust, so at least they can experience going back up through the leagues with a successor club (because I think the point has at least been proven that MK can sustain a league club). Can't see it happening, sadly.

And MKD is why it'll take me a long time to warm to Karl Robinson, too.
  • Options
    AFC Wimbledon boss had a case of watching the game with one eye open by the sounds of it after his post match interview. Apparently the ref gave 80 percent of the decisions to MK.
  • Options
    It may be 80 miles to MKD but it probably takes about the same travelling time as Charlton to Selhurst Park.

Therefore, a lot of Charlton Fans can fully appreciate what it is like to relocate a substantial distance from their home. At least we maintained our identity. Wimbledon FC had theirs taken from them. In my eyes, AFC Wimbledon is as close as you will get to being the original club and good luck to them.

• Options
    Whilst it was completely wrong what happened to them, the original Wimbledon was a scummy little club and I don't think there were too many years shed by the non-league teams when the AFC version were promoted to the FL.