Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Motorbike Thefts in London; a warning

I know we have a few motorcyclists on here, just wanted to give a heads up (although I'm going to guess most of you know) about the current trend for motorcycles being nicked by scumbags on mopeds - often in broad daylight.

There's a shitload of videos on Youtube of people catching these people in the act, but this week it seems to have finally made the news a bit - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4008872/Dramatic-moment-passers-attack-armed-thieves-attempting-steal-40-000-motorbike-London-force-flee-handed.html

There's also a reddit thread here - https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoUK/comments/5h2tc0/stolen_2013_kawasaki_z1000sx_gn63bzs_charlton/ - where the poor bastard had his bike stolen in Charlton; with exactly the same method:
At my workplace's parking lot, bright lights, 4 cctv cameras. Two guys on a moped. Jumped off, broke the steering lock, wheeled it away in 40 seconds. Then one was sitting on it the other was on the moped pushing it.
So keep safe out there guys.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Some of the videos on Youtube are absolutely shocking, these guys don't give a shit. It's absolutely infuriating.

It's worth noting that RoyalJordanian, who has an absolutely cracking motorbike channel on YouTube, seems to have got a bit lucky with a potential run-in with these c*nts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcYK-gKq4N0

What looks a bit innocuous, and an over reaction, takes a dimmer light when another motorcycle youtuber got two videos of the same little shits fleeing from another theft - and even committing another one.

So I'm not sure if they'd be prepared to have a go if the bike is stationary, even if you're on it. It's worth noting that he wheeled back to check out the rear plates, and they seemed to get the message.
  • Options
    Theses pieces of filth did some guys Ducati up where I work in the west end.
    3 of them 1 bike 2 up with the pillion passenger armed with a cordless angle grinder.
    They cut the chain off broke the steering lock and stuck in a van.
  • Options
    A bloke at work had his Triumph Street triple nicked from outside work, the other month. On checking the cctv, a couple of lads on a motorbike pull up and break the steering lock and then push it off down the road.
  • Options
    Just a technical point. The word 'moped' is mis-used in the way 'Hoover' now seems to mean all vacuum cleaners.
    A 'moped' can have no more than a 50cc engine.
    The bike in the video carrying two people and catching up with a large powerful motorbike, must have been more than a 50.
    These machines are 'twist and go' (automatic) scooters. Some of which CAN have engines up to 350cc.
  • Options
    Where I live we have an underground car park with a garage door that can only be opened by a key fob. However the fuckers havr found a way to jam the door when its opened and have been stealing motorbikes and cycles from a supposedly secure area, so yeah this is a major problem in general right now
  • Options
    It's a horrible feeling to know someone is after your pride and joy. I was living in gravesend last year and someone broke into my bike shed - thankfully I was staying at my girlfriend's.

Greenhithe had a few not long ago and now I disconnect my battery every night. You can't win. You've just gotta make it as difficult for these scrotes and co as possible.
  • Options
    Sorry but this has been going on for years. Had my mint 2 year old R6 taken from outside my house in 2009. It was alarmed,had a steering lock and a cover,but if you have a duvet to wrap round the bike to muffle the alarm and 4 medium strength blokes its a doddle. That same night 4 other bikes were lifted in the same area, within a mile of my house. Stolen to order. Fucking scumbags.
  • Options

I rode my Harley down to St Tropez a few years ago for a big Harley party on the beach. The French bike thieves knew there would be a lot of expensive bikes about and were out in force.

The common theme was a van would pull up along side a parked bike, four guys would jump out, drag a mattress out the back, tip the bike onto the mattress, lift it into the van and drive off.

The above could be done in under a minute.