Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas Telly

2»

Comments

• Options

Fiiish said:

See they're doing the usual classic children's book remade for TV. Totally pointless. Just get your kid the book and stick a proper film like Die Hard on the telly.

But my son loves the book already which is why I'm pleased it has been made
    Then stick it in a kids tv slot. Can't stand the grown men and women blubbing into their quinoa mince pies and vegan mulled wine over the Gruffalo. It's hardly Casablanca is it? If you're gonna show a kids film then at least make it Christmas related like the Snowman. Not that rubbish Snowdog spin-off though.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

If I had to choose only one "Christmas film" it'd be Trading Places, but sadly it only appears to be on Sky this year.

Trading Places is the better film, but Die Hard has Alan Rickman in the one of his best performances. (Yes, I know, value judgements are subjective and others may disagree with mine.)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

See they're doing the usual classic children's book remade for TV. Totally pointless. Just get your kid the book and stick a proper film like Die Hard on the telly.

Then stick it in a kids tv slot. Can't stand the grown men and women blubbing into their quinoa mince pies and vegan mulled wine over the Gruffalo. It's hardly Casablanca is it? If you're gonna show a kids film then at least make it Christmas related like the Snowman. Not that rubbish Snowdog spin-off though.
    i'd argue that christmas eve IS a kids tv slot.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

7.30? I remember the days before digital when Christmas Eve would have some Stallone thriller or Arnie action caper. Surely the intended age bracket for these books is 6 or under, so surely past their bedtime?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

7.30? I remember the days before digital when Christmas Eve would have some Stallone thriller or Arnie action caper. Surely the intended age bracket for these books is 6 or under, so surely past their bedtime?
    On Christmas Eve, I reckon most kids' bedtime is pretty close to midnight.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

On Christmas Eve, I reckon most kids' bedtime is pretty close to midnight.
    Crikey things have changed since I was a kid.

Surely the sooner you go to bed, the sooner Christmas comes?
  • Options
    Nfl on Xmas eve and Xmas day
  • Options
    Long Kiss Goodnight was on last night, a shoot 'em up set at Christmas time and with Geena Davis.
  • Options

We're going on a bear hunt

Not on till 7:30 Christmas Eve though

I'll be going on a beer hunt Christmas Eve!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your choices are all dumb and so are the choices of Mark Kermode.
  • Options

aliwibble said:

If I had to choose only one "Christmas film" it'd be Trading Places, but sadly it only appears to be on Sky this year.

Trading Places is the better film, but Die Hard has Alan Rickman in the one of his best performances. (Yes, I know, value judgements are subjective and others may disagree with mine.)
    Oh, for me Die Hard runs it a very close second for exactly the same reason, but Trading Places has the lovely Denholm Elliot, Eddie Murphy when he's young and hungry rather than lazy and complacent, Dan Ackroyd at the top of his game and Jamie Leigh Curtis proving she can do comedy and isn't just totty (though personally I could live without the gratuitous topless bits). And despite all that Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy nearly nick the film.
  • Options
    I used to look forward to both Doctor Who and Strictly but the recent Christmas specials of Doctor Who haven't been great. Also, I was in the audience for the Strictly special and I know who wins so that's not worth watching now.
  • Options

I used to look forward to both Doctor Who and Strictly but the recent Christmas specials of Doctor Who haven't been great. Also, I was in the audience for the Strictly special and I know who wins so that's not worth watching now.

Get a fiver on down the bookies?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

You have Ethel and Ernest from the same stable to look forward to this year...

• Options
    edited December 2016
    aliwibble said:

aliwibble said:

Oh, for me Die Hard runs it a very close second for exactly the same reason, but Trading Places has the lovely Denholm Elliot, Eddie Murphy when he's young and hungry rather than lazy and complacent, Dan Ackroyd at the top of his game and Jamie Leigh Curtis proving she can do comedy and isn't just totty (though personally I could live without the gratuitous topless bits). And despite all that Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy nearly nick the film.
    I actually agree with that - the film was so good it didn't need them - not that I didn't enjoy them :) I think it cheapened the film a bit! Still an absolute classic though.
  • Options

Dr who requires the writers not to be to up their own proverbials. Throw in some Daleks and don't try to be too clever and you can't go wrong!
  • Options
    I'll be watching GBBO, Doctor Who and Strictly (consecutively) on Christmas Day not sure what else what else I'll be watching