Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rapha Festive 500 (WARNING - cycling related if you don't like cycling, piss off to another thread)

Anybody else doing this over Christmas?

Got up to 420km and planning on 100 miles tomorrow so should make it pretty easily, but some of the stories are pretty good. Japanese lad who went out to do it all on the first day and ended up doing something like 800km over the first two. A fella a rode with on Saturday did all 500 in one day as well - rode over to Manchester from Wales then round Cheshire with us before finishing it off before midnight.

Some nutters out there for sure.

Comments

• Did you remember your inhaler?
  • have you heard about 'Wyatt' the Planet Rock DJ ? .. Just before Christmas he did just over a thousand miles around the UK and raised some £75,000 for charity .. I admire these men immensely, cycling remorselessly for 100s of miles .... also Wyatt is a laugh and plays some decent rock

http://www.wyattwendels.com/
  • have you heard about 'Wyatt' the Planet Rock DJ ? .. Just before Christmas he did just over a thousand miles around the UK and raised some £75,000 for charity .. I admire these men immensely, cycling remorselessly for 100s of miles .... also Wyatt is a laugh and plays some decent rock

Blimey, how many sets of lights must he have jumped in a thousand miles?...... JOKE.
  • edited December 2016

have you heard about 'Wyatt' the Planet Rock DJ ? .. Just before Christmas he did just over a thousand miles around the UK and raised some £75,000 for charity .. I admire these men immensely, cycling remorselessly for 100s of miles .... also Wyatt is a laugh and plays some decent rock

Blimey, how many sets of lights must he have jumped in a thousand miles?...... JOKE.
    All that way on the pavement! ;)........ that's another JOKE
  • Anybody else doing this over Christmas?

Got up to 420km and planning on 100 miles tomorrow so should make it pretty easily, but some of the stories are pretty good. Japanese lad who went out to do it all on the first day and ended up doing something like 800km over the first two. A fella a rode with on Saturday did all 500 in one day as well - rode over to Manchester from Wales then round Cheshire with us before finishing it off before midnight.

One of the guys I play football with is a serious cycler. Makes me knackered just listening to the rides he does. I didn't realise how bloody dangerous is it. One of the guys from his club got killed on a ride and loads have been injured.
  • Overtaking on the inside at traffic lights?
  • Hahaha - I asked for this didn't I...
  • I found my old cycling clips I wore as a kid recently.

People still use them?
  • edited December 2016
    https://youtu.be/nDTz0Bj5hJk

From 1min 20secs in. :smile:

And again at 3:04
  • Sponsored links:

One of the guys I play football with is a serious cycler. Makes me knackered just listening to the rides he does. I didn't realise how bloody dangerous is it. One of the guys from his club got killed on a ride and loads have been injured.
    Our club has recently had a spate of offs. I race, so I expect to get banged up, but they've all been during training rides. One bloke broke 8 ribs, fractured his spine and punctured a lung, another one landed on his face after getting hit from behind, I came off myself doing 25mph round a roundabout, just Saturday one of them came off on an innocuous downhill and crashed into another rider and took him out too. However, when you think about it, it's probably not more dangerous than football or rugby - when I played I got injuries that would leave me out of the side for weeks more often than I come off my bike
  • Hahaha - I asked for this didn't I...

Yep!
  • Nice one @Leroy Ambrose - it's a class challenge.

I just came in to upload my last ride. Total distance 490km ffs.

Did 180 odd on Christmas Eve. Horribly hungover down to Brighton and back and broke a spoke on the way home.

Have had to do the rest on my fixie as a result, 130km yesterday and 180 odd today round essex. My knees will never forgive for doing it fixed and been horribly slow, but pleased to have (almost) got it done. Roll down to Charlton and back tomorrow to get the full distance.

Bloody cold this evening though.

Am waiting to hear from Transcontinental about whether i've got a place for next summer. 4000km over 15 days with a hideous amount of climbing. Race is completely unsupported. Spent the first week after submitting my application hoping i wouldn't get a place - but really, really wanting one now. Should find out before New Year.
  • Well it's one way of avoiding the Broncos performance Leroy.
  • https://youtu.be/nDTz0Bj5hJk

From 1min 20secs in. :smile:

And again at 3:04

Cycle lane was the best part of the new trigger happy.
  • Boring. I hate cycling.
  • edited December 2016

Boring. I hate cycling.

cycling > football
  • Well done - I can't imagine how hard fixed would be for that length of time, chapeau!

I've been reading about the transcontinental race. Would love to do it, but it would ruin my entire year for racing. Also, I'm not sure I could ride that far with panniers :)

Let me know if you get in - would be great to follow your progress
  • edited December 2016
    olster said:

Nice one @Leroy Ambrose - it's a class challenge.

Did 180 odd on Christmas Eve. Horribly hungover down to Brighton and back and broke a spoke on the way home.

Have had to do the rest on my fixie as a result, 130km yesterday and 180 odd today round essex. My knees will never forgive for doing it fixed and been horribly slow, but pleased to have (almost) got it done. Roll down to Charlton and back tomorrow to get the full distance.

Am waiting to hear from Transcontinental about whether i've got a place for next summer. 4000km over 15 days with a hideous amount of climbing. Race is completely unsupported. Spent the first week after submitting my application hoping i wouldn't get a place - but really, really wanting one now. Should find out before New Year.

Don't know about boring id say your mad.
    Genuine question do you do this for fun or to see how far you can push yourself.
    4000km over 15 days I'd have trouble doing it in the car.
  • With something like this, I'd say it's a bit of both. The challenge is a massive thing, but obviously you have to live riding your bike or you'd never be able to do it.

On a much, much smaller scale, I did Paris-Roubaix this year and despite being unutterably difficult in places, it ranks as one of the best things I've ever done. Difficult things give you a huge sense of achievement, and doing something you enjoy and testing yourself at it is exhilarating
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

olster said:

Nice one @Leroy Ambrose - it's a class challenge.

Don't know about boring id say your mad.
    Genuine question do you do this for fun or to see how far you can push yourself.
    4000km over 15 days I'd have trouble doing it in the car.
    Yeah it's a bit of both. If i do get in, there will be parts where it won't be fun at all - but the overall sense of achievement in completing it will be worth the pain.

Leory - have you seen London - Edinburgh - London (https://londonedinburghlondon.com/). If i don't get a place on the TCR i'm going to enter that instead and volunteer at the TCR to have a better chance of getting a place in the future...
  • Yeah - I was thinking of Paris-Brest-Paris in 2019, but a guy I rode with a while back in Sweden said he'd done it in 2011 and it was horrible. LEL is the same kind of thing - and out & back Randonee. I'd like to think, having some to cycling late, I've still got a couple more years racing in me, so going to knock the Endurance events on the head for at least the next two years and concentrate on that. As I get old(er) I'll do more of them though - I do enjoy them
  • Did L2B2L in winter a couple of years back - was bloody cold at the top of Ditchling, and even worse on the way back up Saddlescombe due to a bonkers 25mph northerly block headwind. The last hour back into London was particularly horrendous, as I'd set out late and had to do it in pitch black with only a shitty head torch for light
  • You must have been a motorists dream.
  • You must have been a motorists dream.

Easy for them to see me, not see easy for me to see any potholes, smartarse
  • I've been trying to get into cycling but the thread title suggests you're a very insular unwelcoming group.

Maybe I'll go somewhere more welcoming of those with differing opinions, such as SE7 Valiants.
  • You mock, but cycling is actually very inclusive and friendly. Unless you race. Then it's just petty willy-waving of the most childish variety.
  • edited December 2016
    Fiiish said:

I've been trying to get into cycling but the thread title suggests you're a very insular unwelcoming group.

Maybe I'll go somewhere more welcoming of those with differing opinions, such as SE7 Valiants.

Have you tried "Into the valley"? I believe they are lovely. You only have to kiss the one arse.

Our club has recently had a spate of offs. I race, so I expect to get banged up, but they've all been during training rides. One bloke broke 8 ribs, fractured his spine and punctured a lung, another one landed on his face after getting hit from behind, I came off myself doing 25mph round a roundabout, just Saturday one of them came off on an innocuous downhill and crashed into another rider and took him out too. However, when you think about it, it's probably not more dangerous than football or rugby - when I played I got injuries that would leave me out of the side for weeks more often than I come off my bike
    Up & coming Canadian cyclist killed a few days ago - I like to road ride but boy are there some idiot drivers around....a car is always going to win the argument

http://globalnews.ca/news/3150068/friends-remember-new-brunswick-cyclist-ellen-watters-call-for-provincial-road-safety-change/