Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

48 team World Cup gets closer

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38449674

I'd assume when he says he has support from the Federations, he means those whose countries currently have less places because their teams aren't very good. Europe and South America won't get many more places.

Padding out the tournament with lesser sides, meaning the bigger nations will end up likely playing a 6 week tournament can't be a good idea for the players. Great for football addicts though.

Comments

• Options

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38449674

I'd assume when he says he has support from the Federations, he means those whose countries currently have less places because their teams aren't very good. Europe and South America won't get many more places.

Padding out the tournament with little lesser sides, meaning the bigger nations will end up likely playing a 6 week tournament can't be a good idea for the players. Great for football addicts though.

presume the FA will be all for it then
  • Options
    Excellent... From past results

In 2014... Only one side (Costa Rica) not from Europe or South America made it to the Quarter-Finals whilst in the second round there were the following: Europe (6) | South America (5) | North America (3) | Africa (2) | Asia (0) | Oceania (0)

In 2010... Only one side (Ghana) not from Europe or South America made it to the Quarter Finals whilst in the second round there were the following: Europe (6) | South America (5) | North America (2) | Asia (2) | Africa (1) | Oceania (0)

In 2006... the only sides in the Quarter-Finals were from Europe and South America whilst the teams in the second round were from the following: Europe (10) | South America (3) | North America (1) | Africa (1) | Asia (0) | Oceania (1)

*Note; Australia were part of OFC in 2016

Am sorry but until the Nations that currently Qualify from Africa / Asia etc. can compete with the usual suspects from Europe and South America there is no point in expanding the World Cup - Ivory Coast are one of the best sides in Africa but have NEVER reached the 2nd Round of the World Cup so if they cant manage it, whats the point including another African nation who the Ivory Coast / Ghana etc. would simply brush aside.

If anything I've felt for years that either Africa or Asia should lose a place and that Oceania (Usually New Zealand) should gain an automatic place... the other two confederations moan about their lack of places yet Oceania dont have a single automatic spot and have to end up playing a Play-Off tie against a side from another confederation every time!!

Where is the fairness there?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Fairness?

It's all about the money, money, money ...... and an extra-long holiday

• Options
    Off_it said:

Fairness?

It's all about the money, money, money ......

Of course it is however I don't think people can be arguing for fewer countries to compete from supposedly lesser federations. It is the World Cup after all. We hear all the time people moaning about US sports crowning their teams world champions when they only play within their own country despite knowing that it is the case they are the best in the world. Personally I like seeing teams from countries I'm not familiar with, much rather that than seeing the likes of Greece stinking up another tournament.
  • Options

Oceania (Usually New Zealand) should gain an automatic place... the other two confederations moan about their lack of places yet Oceania dont have a single automatic spot and have to end up playing a Play-Off tie against a side from another confederation every time!!

Probably because each of the following European teams are ranked higher than the equivalent team in the last 6 of the OFC qualification

Lithuania (New Zealand)
    Luxembourg (Tahiti)
    Macedonia (New Caledonia)
    Moldova (Papua New Guinea)
    Kosovo (Fiji)
    Malta (Solomon Islands)
  • Options
    Off_it said:

But everyone already takes part in the World Cup, it's just that only a few qualify for the main tournament.

Stuff like this actually sickens me. They want to increase the number of teams that qualify for the final stages by 50%. Why? To make the tournament better? To make it more enjoyable? To raise the standard of football?

Of course not. More matches means more TV means more money in their grubby little paws. And these people are the supposed guardians of the game? Fuckwits.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not in favour of expending the tournament, it was more a reply to Forever saying we should have fewer African and Asian teams.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Off_it said:

But everyone already takes part in the World Cup, it's just that only a few qualify for the main tournament.

Stuff like this actually sickens me. They want to increase the number of teams that qualify for the final stages by 50%. Why? To make the tournament better? To make it more enjoyable? To raise the standard of football?

Of course not. More matches means more TV means more money in their grubby little paws. And these people are the supposed guardians of the game? Fuckwits.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not in favour of expending the tournament, it was more a reply to Forever saying we should have fewer African and Asian teams.
    The only reason I'd want fewer African / Asian teams is to simply add a single team for Oceania (Its too small to have more)... Its meant to be the World Cup and whilst every continent has a guaranteed place, Oceania doesnt.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    IA said:

Oceania (Usually New Zealand) should gain an automatic place... the other two confederations moan about their lack of places yet Oceania dont have a single automatic spot and have to end up playing a Play-Off tie against a side from another confederation every time!!

Probably because each of the following European teams are ranked higher than the equivalent team in the last 6 of the OFC qualification

Lithuania (New Zealand)
    Luxembourg (Tahiti)
    Kosovo (Fiji)
    Malta (Solomon Islands)
    And yet the last time New Zealand were at the World Cup in 2010 they drew with all the teams in their Group (Paraguay | Slovakia and Italy), they finished ahead of the Italians in their Group... In fact they were briefly beating Italy and had they not given away a penalty they'd have won the game and would have qualified for the 2nd Round.

Ahead of the 2014 World Cup they were given Mexico in the Play-Offs who understandably beat them 9-3 on agg and who went on to be unfairly knocked out by the Netherlands in the 2nd Round themselves whereas ahead of the 2018 World Cup they'll probably lose out again because they've got to play a Play-Off against the 5th placed team from South America who are currently Argentina!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IA said:

Lithuania (New Zealand)
    Luxembourg (Tahiti)
    Kosovo (Fiji)
    Malta (Solomon Islands)
    And yet the last time New Zealand were at the World Cup in 2010 they drew with all the teams in their Group (Paraguay | Slovakia and Italy), they finished ahead of the Italians in their Group... In fact they were briefly beating Italy and had they not given away a penalty they'd have won the game and would have qualified for the 2nd Round.
    How did Tahiti get on in the more recent Confederations Cup?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    IA said:

IA said:

Lithuania (New Zealand)
    Luxembourg (Tahiti)
    Kosovo (Fiji)
    Malta (Solomon Islands)
    How many times have Tahiti qualified for the World Cup though?

The Confederations Cup is a harder competition because you do have the best of the best... You could question how Japan and Nigeria did themselves in that same competition? (i.e. Nigeria only got a win because it came against Tahiti) whilst Japan who do well at the World Cup also finished without a single point.

Plus take a look at the past winners of the OFC Nations Cup

That Tahiti win was the first time neither New Zealand or Australia had won it
  • Options

IA said:

IA said:

Lithuania (New Zealand)
    Luxembourg (Tahiti)
    Kosovo (Fiji)
    Malta (Solomon Islands)

The Confederations Cup is a harder competition because you do have the best of the best... You could question how Japan and Nigeria did themselves in that same competition? (i.e. Nigeria only got a win because it came against Tahiti) whilst Japan who do well at the World Cup also finished without a single point
    Seriously?

Uruguay 2-1 Nigeria
    Uruguay 8-0 Tahiti

Italy 4-3 Japan
    Spain 10-0 Tahiti

I think Tahiti did the worst out of those teams. Could be wrong, just what I think...

OFC is dogshit. It's lucky for them that the winner gets so close to qualification as to have a playoff. I'd probably put them into the last round of groups in Asia.
  • Options

The Confederations Cup is a harder competition because you do have the best of the best

• Options
    IA said:

IA said:

IA said:

Lithuania (New Zealand)
    Luxembourg (Tahiti)
    Kosovo (Fiji)
    Malta (Solomon Islands)

The Confederations Cup is a harder competition because you do have the best of the best... You could question how Japan and Nigeria did themselves in that same competition? (i.e. Nigeria only got a win because it came against Tahiti) whilst Japan who do well at the World Cup also finished without a single point
    Seriously?

Uruguay 2-1 Nigeria
    Uruguay 8-0 Tahiti

Italy 4-3 Japan
    Spain 10-0 Tahiti

I think Tahiti did the worst out of those teams. Could be wrong, just what I think...

OFC is dogshit. It's lucky for them that the winner gets so close to qualification as to have a playoff. I'd probably put them into the last round of groups in Asia.
    So the World Cup should be for the best teams then rather than for the Teams from round the World?

OFC is dog-turd yes I agree but thats because of the Pacific Nations, its the section that New Zealand are stuck in so are hamstrung because of that, the other option would be for them to do an Australia and join AFC and leave the Pacific Nations to it yet I dont know how easy it would be for them.

i.e. an Australia side who prior to moving couldnt win their Play-Off tie (apart from 2006) yet since moving into the AFC have qualified both in 2010 | 2014 and out of the three years they've been in the Asian Cup they've reached the Final twice (winning once) so really does raise the question; is Asian Qualifying much better than Oceania yet could have five representatives in Russia 2018.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Off_it said:

The only reason I'd want fewer African / Asian teams is to simply add a single team for Oceania (Its too small to have more)... Its meant to be the World Cup and whilst every continent has a guaranteed place, Oceania doesnt.
    FIFA should start by banning Countries from registering in federations just to artificially improve their qualification success (as described by ForeverAddicted above).
  • Options
    Yes the top Asian nations are better than the top Oceania nations.

Yes the World Cup finals are for the best teams overall. The top Asian and African teams are generally better than European teams who don't qualify. The top Oceania teams are not.

Oceania teams should have the chance to qualify, but not automatically.

A guaranteed place for an Oceania team is more ridiculous than a guaranteed place for a Caribbean island team.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    DRAddick said:

colthe3rd said:

Off_it said:

FIFA should start by banning Countries from registering in federations just to artificially improve their qualification success (as described by ForeverAddicted above).
    Agree with that too... Yes Australia were thumping teams (like what Germany etc. were doing against San Marino just on a higher scale) yet at the same time how do the Pacific Nations improve?

They'll constantly play against each other, both sides will win but because they're not facing harder Nations they'll hit their ceiling level and wont be able to improve any better... By facing better Nations they'll know what they need to do to be better next time... i.e. Didnt Turkey get thumped 9-1 by someone back in the 80s or 90s then in 1998 they reached the Third Place match of the World Cup that year
  • Options
    So now you're comparing Tahiti with Turkey?

If we were to use the FIFA rankings (I know not perfect but they do give a good general guide to a country's performance) New Zealand are currently ranked 109th, sandwiched between Mauritania and Gabon. And you want them to have an automatic qualification over someone from Africa or Asia?
  • Options
    Cannot see any any positive behind this.

They are ruining their own product. Having a 6 week tournament will be ridiculous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    colthe3rd said:

So now you're comparing Tahiti with Turkey?

Oh for christs sake I'm not comparing anyone with anyone... I'm just saying people shouldnt be so elitist

Teams have shown over the years that despite being thumped 9-0 etc. one day they could be a strong team in many years to come and just because they're shite now doesnt mean they should be hamstrung anymore than they already are!!

Turkey are just one example of this...
  • Options
    I think it's time that Gianni Infantino was more adventurous and went for a 96 team tournament. We could have a round of 32 groups of 3 where all three teams qualified. Then 24 groups of 4 where 3 teams qualify and the next best 24 losers. Then a knock out tournament.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

IA said:

IA said:

IA said:

Lithuania (New Zealand)
    Luxembourg (Tahiti)
    Kosovo (Fiji)
    Malta (Solomon Islands)

Seriously?

Uruguay 2-1 Nigeria
    Uruguay 8-0 Tahiti

Italy 4-3 Japan
    Spain 10-0 Tahiti

So the World Cup should be for the best teams then rather than for the Teams from round the World?

OFC is dog-turd yes I agree but thats because of the Pacific Nations, its the section that New Zealand are stuck in so are hamstrung because of that, the other option would be for them to do an Australia and join AFC and leave the Pacific Nations to it yet I dont know how easy it would be for them.

i.e. an Australia side who prior to moving couldnt win their Play-Off tie (apart from 2006) yet since moving into the AFC have qualified both in 2010 | 2014 and out of the three years they've been in the Asian Cup they've reached the Final twice (winning once) so really does raise the question; is Asian Qualifying much better than Oceania yet could have five representatives in Russia 2018.
    Yes, exactly.
  • Options
    the number should be reduced, certainly not increased ... but then again FIFA is more a (corrupt ?) political movement that a bona fide sporting body
  • Options
    Totally stupid idea, it will just water down the quality in the early stages of the tournament. If FIFA want to do something that is genuinely interesting why not have a knockout tournament like the FA Cup - the games could be played in the spaces reserved for friendlies which are usually pretty turgid affairs. Imagine the excitement as England are drawn out of the hat to face Tahiti away in February
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/why-fifa-want-to-expand-the-world-cup-and-how-it-will-work-2026-a7518011.html

Sixteen groups of three. Sixteen European teams (up from 13) - I'd imagine one in each group.

• Options
    Sounds proper shit
  • Options
    The numbers are going in the wrong direction, for England to get to a World Cup final we need a two team tournament.
  • Options
    Surely 40 teams with 8 groups of 5 would be the logical next step.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Surely 40 teams with 8 groups of 5 would be the logical next step.

Fifa and logic??