Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So what is the purpose of employing a communications person?

Tom Rubashow is starting work at the club next week in something loosely called communications.

Good luck Tom, I hope you are happy here, are properly paid, work civilised hours and are able to approach the job with integrity.

However, is the job about writing the programme?

Is the job about communicating factual stuff?

Is the job about communicating with sponsors rather than the general fan base?

I get that the job is to show the club in a good light, and to select those good bits, and hurry past the bad bits, that is right and proper, mind you it is important not to mislead about the bad bits (I am thinking stuff like Fraeye was the 'mastermind' behind Riga) because stuff like that undermines the general credibility of communications.

Will a communications person be allowed to show initiative and have autonomy, or will they simply follow tightly drawn instructions?

I am aware that Mel Baroni only lasted 48 days, some 75 days after the start of her appointment was announced by Katrien Meire at that November power point meeting.

I am pretty sure that Tom Rubashow is aware that a lot of club output is not taken at face value by a lot of people.

My final question is, are 'communications' and 'propaganda' the same thing, or is there a difference?

Comments

• Options
    Communications would be advising fans sorry customers of factual news about the club i.e. new signings, tickets etc.

Propaganda would be things like telling customers how wonderful our owner and CEO are an d all the great things they have done for the cloob.
  • Options
    I thought Roland was communications, propaganda and social club
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Communications would be advising fans sorry customers of factual news about the club i.e. new signings, tickets etc.

Propaganda would be things like telling customers how wonderful our owner and CEO are an d all the great things they have done for the cloob.

is a German group from the '80s, most famous for the songs Dr Mabuse and Duel...

• Options
    Helping a group of pro-regimers to set up a chat group so they can all tell each other how great things are and how nasty the protesters are.
  • Options
    Duel is a tuuuuuuune!
  • Options
    It's called communication because the more factual term of spin has rightfully negative connotations.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

He's not there to talk to us. Meire and Duchatelet don't give a monkey's about communicating with us, never have. It's a lost cause now in any case.

He's there to try and convince the national media that Charlton isn't a total cake and arse party. Good luck with that.

If you are right then Tom Rubashow will be a spin doctor and a propagandist.

He is fecked if like me he doesn't know how to use apostrophes properly.

Incidentally there will be another new appointment too, commercial or tickets or something like that, I hope they have a good relationship with Royal Mail.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Missed It said:

He's not there to talk to us. Meire and Duchatelet don't give a monkey's about communicating with us, never have. It's a lost cause now in any case.

He's there to try and convince the national media that Charlton isn't a total cake and arse party. Good luck with that.

Incidentally there will be another new appointment too, commercial or tickets or something like that, I hope they have a good relationship with Royal Mail.
    It's a choreographer to co-ordinate the post match dancing.
  • Options
    A comms person who refuses to connect with requests on LinkedIn and Twitter ...bodes well for interaction with the fans.
  • Options
    I always thought these silly jobs were created as an excuse to get a bit more minge around the office.
  • Options
    The club are also looking for Steward Supervisors. No experience necessary training will be provided. (It's on the OS)
  • Options
    A contact between SE7 and SE9. ;)
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

A comms person who refuses to connect with requests on LinkedIn and Twitter ...bodes well for interaction with the fans.

In fairness to him, those are personal outlets and if I were him I wouldn't really want a load of disgruntled Charlton fans there. If nothing else, won't look great when he leaves in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

stonemuse said:

In fairness to him, those are personal outlets and if I were him I wouldn't really want a load of disgruntled Charlton fans there. If nothing else, won't look great when he leaves in a few weeks time.
    Fair enough for Twitter but LinkedIn is for business connections.

Mel Baroni had no problem accepting connections ... even Daisy has done so.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

mogodon said:

stonemuse said:

Maybe he has learnt from their experiences. Nit sure Airman needed to connect to individuals when he ran the command team.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

stonemuse said:

mogodon said:

stonemuse said:

Maybe he has learnt from their experiences. Nit sure Airman needed to connect to individuals when he ran the command team.
    Not true ... Rick did connect on LinkedIn.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

As far as I can make out, his main role will be to communicate to the customers which dance moves we should be employing as trends can change from week to week depending on who is in vogue i.e. Justin Timberlake, Sean Paul, Little Mix, the Rolling Stones.

Think it was Terry Ellis, Dawn Robinson, Cindy Herron, and Maxine Jones in En Vogue...

I'll get my coat...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

stonemuse said:

mogodon said:

stonemuse said:

I haven't run the comms at Charlton since 2003, so the opportunities were much narrower. But I was always on Glynne Jones's mailing list, if that counts. I was also to be found among the Charlton fans in the crowd home and away, although I did sometimes sit in other clubs' press boxes (not Charlton's) as required for specific work.
  • Options
    What about the vol-au-vents? Did you ever partake?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Kap10 said:

stonemuse said:

mogodon said:

stonemuse said:

Not true ... Rick did connect on LinkedIn.
    Where did I say he didn't?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Kap10 said:

stonemuse said:

mogodon said:

stonemuse said:

I haven't run the comms at Charlton since 2003, so the opportunities were much narrower. But I was always on Glynne Jones's mailing list, if that counts. I was also to be found among the Charlton fans in the crowd home and away, although I did sometimes sit in other clubs' press boxes (not Charlton's) as required for specific work.
    Fair point, especially considering we first met and conversed there! Which I had forgotten.