Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shares Thread for the next Gordon Gekko's

Comments

• Options
    Zynex (remember them?) have announced very good Q3 figures and the share price has bumped up about 14% over the last couple of days.
    Q3 revenues up 74% YoY, full year earnings are forecast to be similarly impressive.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Zynex (remember them?) have announced very good Q3 figures and the share price has bumped up about 14% over the last couple of days.
    Q3 revenues up 74% YoY, full year earnings are forecast to be similarly impressive.
    That's an extra £2 for JJ to spend in January then
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Yeh Tesla has gone crazy the last year, seems like a no brainer investment looking back now… and a relatively low risk one given they were already very well established - hindsight eh!! well done. But can it really keep going?! Value is so high now
    IMO Tesla way overcooked. Build quality / Reliability inferior to German Rivals. Once BMW / MERC bring their A Game to electric I think these are destined to drop. I'd be looking for a short at some point in the future. Not today obvs. NQ At record highs.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    cafctom said:
    Can anyone explain in relatively basic terms how tax works on buying/selling shares?

Do you just pay CGT on the profit? If so, how do you go about paying it?
    Not an expert by any means but have an understanding; you have a CGT allowance of £12.3k for fiscal year 20-21, so can make profits up to that amount before any tax liability, if you exceed this limit on shares sold you should declare it via your (if you do one) annual tax return, if your shares are held in an ISA then that’s tax free.

I am sure others on this thread have a greater, more detailed understanding. 

Thanks. 

If I understand it right, then the CGT allowance is different from the ‘personal allowance’.

So, assuming someone were to make a profit or say £10k selling shares then they wouldn’t need to pay any tax at all? Even if they were a higher rate taxpayer through their employment?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Can anyone explain in relatively basic terms how tax works on buying/selling shares?

Do you just pay CGT on the profit? If so, how do you go about paying it?
    Not an expert by any means but have an understanding; you have a CGT allowance of £12.3k for fiscal year 20-21, so can make profits up to that amount before any tax liability, if you exceed this limit on shares sold you should declare it via your (if you do one) annual tax return, if your shares are held in an ISA then that’s tax free.

I am sure others on this thread have a greater, more detailed understanding. 

Thanks. 

If I understand it right, then the CGT allowance is different from the ‘personal allowance’.

So, assuming someone were to make a profit or say £10k selling shares then they wouldn’t need to pay any tax at all? Even if they were a higher rate taxpayer through their employment?
    Correct on both points, CGT totally different from your tax personal allowance. 

• Options
    CafcWest said:
    I've just taken a punt on EQTEC at 1.35p each...renewable energy by using waste...seem cheap and with COP26 and a general move towards renewables, green shares, etc.  Might be worth a gamble?
    I traded them once some years back. Just about broke even. They were hugely volatile at the time and being AIM listed with a £116M market cap I imagine they will be for some time to come until they either go bust like much of AIM or make it big like a few. Certainly the right industry for today though being decarbonisation and clean energy.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Yeh Tesla has gone crazy the last year, seems like a no brainer investment looking back now… and a relatively low risk one given they were already very well established - hindsight eh!! well done. But can it really keep going?! Value is so high now
    IMO Tesla way overcooked. Build quality / Reliability inferior to German Rivals. Once BMW / MERC bring their A Game to electric I think these are destined to drop. I'd be looking for a short at some point in the future. Not today obvs. NQ At record highs.
    Tesla's self driving tech and battery tech years ahead....I drive a Merc and their media system tech is awful.....wouldn't get in the way of Elon Musk. Don't forget their semi truck is in development and once the self driving tech is legalized then that's a game changer.  Short at your own risk.   
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ct_addick said:
    lonman said:
    Tesla's self driving tech and battery tech years ahead....I drive a Merc and their media system tech is awful.....wouldn't get in the way of Elon Musk. Don't forget their semi truck is in development and once the self driving tech is legalized then that's a game changer.  Short at your own risk.   
    I can see both sides on this one. You both make good points, so I personally would just stay away from the shares (although I am aware that I hold them anyway through my Baillie Gifford funds and probably others I don't even know hold them). The thing is, I would not buy a Tesla, because autos are a volume business where build quality/control is still demanded. Traditionally US carmakers have been awful in this regard. If you read Which magazine, rather than the breathless and totally captured car mags, you find that Tesla is  definitely keeping up that dismal reputation for reliability. I wouldn't buy the shares of a company whose products I'd avoid, or for that matter a company whose leader regularly behaves like a twat. Then again nothing is forever in business, and its a bit of a shock to see that Merc is in no position to brag about reliability either. Personally I'll let the fund managers work this one out.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    lonman said:
    I agree the battery tech is probably way ahead at the moment. However, in regard to self drive I have a new BMW that has that function it steers itself, maintains distance you really just need to sit there and it takes care of the rest. My general point is that their 'edge' is battery technology I'm in agreement. However, the kind of money Mercedes, BMW and even Toyota have for development simply dwarfs Tesla. So with the right focus and I believe it's going that way Mercedes and BMW will catch up with Tesla's Battery tech and then put simply they've lost their edge. In regards to the Media System I'm guessing it depends what model of Mercedes you go for and what system you spec. If you've seen the Tech in the new S Class I'm sure it's at a similar level of a Tesla. I was in a Tesla Model X recently, a friend bought one and I must say 'underwhelmed' was my general feeling of the fit and finish when compared to a BMW / Mercedes. The main reason people are buying these cars is because compared to a traditional combustion engine they're cheap to run.

I'm still convinced their shares should be around $200 a pop. Either way my friend you've absolutely had it off and had the nerve to run them from $57 to $1k Plus. Most would of bailed on a speculative punt if that's what it was. So hats off to you for that.
  • Options
    Since this thread resurfaced Tesla crashed 15% in the last week after Elon sold a big chunk of his shares following a twitter poll  :D and Coinbase took a big dip after it released its Q3 reports!

If you've got some spare change down the back of the sofa it would probably be a good time to put it into Tesla as it's likely the share will bounce back to its previous level soonish
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Since this thread resurfaced Tesla crashed 15% in the last week after Elon sold a big chunk of his shares following a twitter poll  :D and Coinbase took a big dip after it released its Q3 reports!

If you've got some spare change down the back of the sofa it would probably be a good time to put it into Tesla as it's likely the share will bounce back to its previous level soonish

I have to make a contribution to my SIPP imminently, and though I think Tesla might be the sort of company that ordinarily would be a good long term home for funds to grow, a character like Musk playing silly games with Twitter polls makes me uneasy.

• Options
    IdleHans said:

I have to make a contribution to my SIPP imminently, and though I think Tesla might be the sort of company that ordinarily would be a good long term home for funds to grow, a character like Musk playing silly games with Twitter polls makes me uneasy.

I tend to avoid anything Musk related for a similar reason, he very clearly plays the market/public opinion to his advantage. Tesla would be one to trade in to make quick profit if you can pay enough attention
  • Options
    Tesla rose again quite quickly after bottoming out yesterday. It was also my thinking to buy a few shares at this level and I've just bid for a whole two shares!

I'm not very good at picking individual shares, it seems. Most of my UK portfolio is in red. Not by much and I'm not touching it as I expect all to return to profit next year, plus they pay dividends which just about offset the loss in value. I have more green in the USA, the exception being Zynex, though I sold quite a few durig the last price hike. I have very few left so will hold them.

My ETF holdings are in much better shape and have a lot more invested in them as well.

I'm in the UK now, as you may know, and shouldn't really add funds to my offshore platform. Any recommendations for an economic UK-based platform as I want to invest a few pounds in the market as although interests rates will almost certainly rise, I can't see them reaching levels even close to inflation?
  • Options
    I can totally see why Tesla is a no go for some - it literally makes more money holding Bitcoin than it does selling cars. Which is nuts.
  • Options

More to do with bitcoin taking a dip imo. 
  • Options
    I can totally see why Tesla is a no go for some - it literally makes more money holding Bitcoin than it does selling cars. Which is nuts.
    Mercedes have been making cars since 1901, BMW since 1928, Ford 1903 - Tesla's first car was released in 2008 and I predict it will stop mass producing cars within 20 years.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    I've just taken a punt on EQTEC at 1.35p each...renewable energy by using waste...seem cheap and with COP26 and a general move towards renewables, green shares, etc.  Might be worth a gamble?
    I traded them once some years back. Just about broke even. They were hugely volatile at the time and being AIM listed with a £116M market cap I imagine they will be for some time to come until they either go bust like much of AIM or make it big like a few. Certainly the right industry for today though being decarbonisation and clean energy.
    @Athletico Charlton - thanks for this, interesting.  Yes I figure it's a gamble - but in the right industry at the moment.  I work for a PE firm (not on the investment side) but I hear every fund investor is asking about approach to ESG and D&I.  My hope is that companys like EQTEC get bought by larger environmental re-cycling outfits and the share price goes up accoordingly.  If it doesn't then I haven't lost too much...
  • Options
    What’s people’s thoughts on unrealised gains being taxed? Think it’s absolutely nuts, personally. Creates a ridiculous amount of sell pressure. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    lonman said:
    Went in my first Tesla (a taxi in Paris) last week.  It was quiet and smooth - but, must admit, I thought the internal finish and quality of the materials was very cheap compated to BMW/Mercedes.  As others have said - I think when the big manufactures start to get it right (and prices come down) then they will start to lose out...unless they licence some of their technology to others...
  • Options
    What’s people’s thoughts on unrealised gains being taxed? Think it’s absolutely nuts, personally. Creates a ridiculous amount of sell pressure. 
    Won't happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

More to do with bitcoin taking a dip imo. 
    I took the Coinbase Q3 Report reference from my Trading 212 app which notified me "Coinbase sinks 9% after Q3 Revenue misses estimates"
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Won't happen.
    They'd surely have to give relief on unrealised losses too - an admin nightmare which would require an annual return for anyone with investments, every year, and they cant keep up as it is. It's bad enough that they did away with indexation relief - scandalous in my opinion - but that really would discourage investment. Agree with @bobmunro on this one.

• Options
    By way of returning the favour re reccos for income generating shares (above, couple of pages back), I read up some ideas for European companies that fit the bill, as I have some spare cash in the euro denominated Degiro platform. All these should be available through UK platforms (but of course do your own due diligence):

Swiss Re
    ABB
    Novartis
    Sanofi

and- my pick of the bunch - Novo Nordisk, which might be the least recognisable name. Danish pharma company. They were my most recent client before I jacked the biz in. Their area of focus is diabetes, and at least in CZ they have cornered the market. So when I was in their offices and saw one of their posters which read "Did you know that diabetes affects one in ten Czechs?", I thought, right, this is a business with solid prospects, unfortunately. Diabetes is the long term pandemic of rich countries! Otherwise I also found them to be a typical well-run, correctly behaving Scandi company. All of which was a strong buy for me!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    What does "Heard a rumour we might get 3 of them next year" mean?
    Interest rate rises.
    Very much doubt it. Even if rates do rise it will be small increases over a long period.

Forecasts I've seen says base rate won't be above 2.5% even by 2030. 
  • Options
    Interest rates up by 0.15% in December, up to 0.75% middle next year and 1% end of next year.
  • Options
    Powerhouse Energy (PHE) are worth a bit of research, up 30 points today but have interesting technology converting plastic waste into hydrogen.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Interest rates up by 0.15% in December, up to 0.75% middle next year and 1% end of next year.
    With the GDP figures out yesterday showing a bigger decline than expected, and with xmas around the corner I'm now not expecting a rate rise this year. Probably Feb/March next year but wouldn't disagree it would be by 0.15% just so it get it too a "round" figure in interest rate terms. I disagree though with your then 0.5% rise & a further 0.25% by the end of 2022.

The forecasts I've seen from Citibank and are taken from around a dozen investment houses said 2.5% by 2030......so I think its a slow burn to that figure. 
  • Options
    Powerhouse Energy (PHE) are worth a bit of research, up 30 points today but have interesting technology converting plastic waste into hydrogen.
    Up 13% today as well.
  • Options
    If anyone has tips for boring shares that produce a regular decent dividend I'd be interested. No tobacco or polluters though, thanks.

Based on tips from a mate, I've already bought into Schroders, Jupiter, and Citibank.. They currently deliver 3-4% pa, which would be OK. He gets 8% from his tobacco stocks but they're not for me.
    You might consider Tate and Lyle too. Some upside scope from £6.83 and a dividend around 4.5%
  • Options
    Anyone fancy Blackbird?