Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FAO Oakster.. Victoria day in canada 05/21 what goes on?

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
Hello Oakster, curious as to what victoria day in canada is, and also if anything happens, is it like thanks giving in the u.s.a.
thanks.

Comments

• Options
    No idea other than it's a day off tomorrow....don't think anything special happens, although there is a big parade/celebration in Victoria, BC. We are blessed with one bank holiday a month from now until Xmas - only one in June missing.

Typically the weather has gone from being glorious in the middle of last week to a mix of rain/snow this weekend. Good to see that good old British tradition also holds true over here :-(
  • Options
    I've just got back to my home in Whistler after spending the weekend camping in Porteau Cove (Howe Sound).

It's reassuring to know that no matter where you are in the world. long bank holiday weekends mean rubbish weather.

the new tent took a drenching.

Happy Victoria day for tomorrow....
  • Options
    hey crazyaddick i did a season in Whistler a few years ago - loved the place & will get myself over there in the not too distant future, a lot more terrain has been opened up since i was there i believe

i lived across the highway from the village, not too far from The Boot pub - what a place
  • Options
    It's an amazing place. Moved here from Blackheath a month ago... staying until at least April next year.

There can't be too many places in the world where you can go camping by the sea Saturday and sunday then head up the mountain for some boarding on the Monday (as I will be tomorrow).

I'm living in Alpine Meadows.... love it so far. Even getting used to seeing the bears every other day!!!
  • Options
    Good on you - how did you get a visa?
  • Options
    Went through Bunac to get a 1 year working holiday visa - they have a limited no. each year. only stipulation is that you're under 35 I think.

Looking forward to summer now. It's bloody expensive setting yourself up.... I've bought skis, a snowboard, tent and a mountaing bike since I got out here....

I've noticed there are a few other Canadian based addicks on here.

Though it hurt to go down, I would have felt it a lot more if still at home. Gave my season ticket to a pal for the last 4 or 5 games....
  • Options
    Alright lads, just off to watch the whitecaps against Rochester who they beat to the title last year. We're top of the league this year so a big contrast to watching CAFC.

Victoria day is purely a holiday to celebrate Queen Victoria as for some reason the Canadians love her.

Have a good day off tomorrow lads
  • Options
    Enjoy VC. Is the white caps American footy?
  • Options
    I'm gonna catch some good old sawkerr action this coming Friday - gonna pop down to see the Portland Timbers play while i am in Oregon - i know Fox are showing USL games haven't seen the Caps yet -- (Crazy they play in the 2nd Division I suppose of American pro-soccer - hopefully one day they will become a MSL team).........

is Tony Caig still playing for them?