Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rome weekend away- Places to see/Getting football tickets advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just been there once but absolutely loved it. It is breathtaking - Paris doesn't come close. Looking forward to AS Roma moving in to their new stadium (eventually). Good excuse for a second visit.
  • Options
    Been to Rome on a brief visit on a tour. By far the best city I have visited.

After the nightmare traffic of Naples we chose to stay outside and get a train in. Wish we had stayed closer now, for nightlife and due to cost of train.

I had a professional interest in traditional building materials so made for the Pantheon. Get some knowledge of the construction to get the most from it if you go.

St Peter's bascillica was awesome and free.

The collusium is an absolute must.

We took a walk to the Trevi fountain and that was a really vibrant atmosphere.

Can't wait to go back.
  • Options
    oh and means i didnt have to go to wimbledon haha, the olimpico stadium is okay but the layout means you have to q for a ridiculously long time, so if attending would reccomend at least 90 mins before match start.
  • Options
    Donated. R.I.P Ian x
  • Options

Donated. R.I.P Ian x

Sorry wrong thread.bloody phone
  • Options
    We came back from 4 days in Rome yesterday.

Unbeknown to us until we got there, Rome was hosting a special EU leaders summit to mark the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Rome. That meant a huge police/military presence through the city and various places were shut for significant periods of time, including the Vatican and the Colosseum. We only realised something was going on when the French President's entourage came thundering past in convoy and we turned to Google...

Thankfully, we managed to get to see all the major sites. We'd booked two Dark Rome tours for the Sunday (thanks to you guys who recommended above) and we fluked our way on to a tour for the Vatican by walking over there mid-afternoon, just after it had reopened after area security had been lifted for a small two hour window.

I thought Venice was going to take a lot to be beaten but Rome was on another level altogether. The Sistine Chappel, St Peter's Basillica, the Colosseum all absoutely mind-blowing. The crowd at the Trevi fountain was on a par with a match day on Wembley Way.

Such a beautiful, clean city...and the food...and the red wine...hic!

Two things saddened me. The number of homeless people...and the number of American's unable to use anything other than a fork in a restaurant!

Anyway, great place. If you haven't been, do put it on your bucket list of places to visit.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

We came back from 4 days in Rome yesterday.

Unbeknown to us until we got there, Rome was hosting a special EU leaders summit to mark the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Rome. That meant a huge police/military presence through the city and various places were shut for significant periods of time, including the Vatican and the Colosseum. We only realised something was going on when the French President's entourage came thundering past in convoy and we turned to Google...

Thankfully, we managed to get to see all the major sites. We'd booked two Dark Rome tours for the Sunday (thanks to you guys who recommended above) and we fluked our way on to a tour for the Vatican by walking over there mid-afternoon, just after it had reopened after area security had been lifted for a small two hour window.

I thought Venice was going to take a lot to be beaten but Rome was on another level altogether. The Sistine Chappel, St Peter's Basillica, the Colosseum all absoutely mind-blowing. The crowd at the Trevi fountain was on a par with a match day on Wembley Way.

Such a beautiful, clean city...and the food...and the red wine...hic!

Two things saddened me. The number of homeless people...and the number of American's unable to use anything other than a fork in a restaurant!

Anyway, great place. If you haven't been, do put it on your bucket list of places to visit.

I have it provisionally booked for my birthday in May JohnBoy. Where did you stay (as in what area)? I currently have somewhere near the Trevi Fountain booked but purposely have free cancellation in case I see/hear of a better option. Is this walkable to all main sites (bar Vatican I think that seems to be a bit further out).

Cheers
  • Options
    i stayed in residenza farnese when i went, 5 min walk from trevi fountain basic but clean hotel quite old in style, but was a busy weekend as rugby was on.
  • Options
    ^ thanks mate, nice one.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed it @JohnBoyUK.

Rome is definitely an amazing place to visit. It's like walking around in a massive museum or History Channel program. So much to see and do.

How pissed off did you get with the selfie stick sellers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've got a lads weekend booked up to coincide with the last game of the Italian league season and potentially Totti's last Roma game. We're looking to get tickets before we go or failing that at a Roma store.Is it likely to be a sell out? And in terms of a night out where are we best heading to for a few beers in Rome?
  • Options
    If I were you baz, you cant go wrong with your hotel being near the Trevi fountain. Thats probably the best location all in all as you're equidistant from everything apart from the Colosseum and the Vatican.

For a restaurant recommendation, check out http://www.vineriailchianti.com/, which is almost next to the Trevi fountain. The food was stunning and reasonably priced and the red wine was fabulous. We was put on to it by one of our neighbours who spends a lot of time in Rome with work and it was recommended to her by her Italian colleagues.

Oh and the cabs are reasonably cheap too. For a rough guide, we got a cab from the Colosseum in the south to the Spanish Steps in the north and it came to €8.

If your Mrs likes the designer shops, the two main roads are Via del Carrozze and Via della Fontanella di Borghese just off the Piazza di Spagna at the Spanish Steps.

• Options

How pissed off did you get with the selfie stick sellers?

Haha, they are just relentless arent they? Thought it was bad in Venice and Paris...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm making a load of "Poke your selfie stick up your arse mate" T shirts for my next visit.

I reckon I'll make a killing on them.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

If I were you baz, you cant go wrong with your hotel being near the Trevi fountain. Thats probably the best location all in all as you're equidistant from everything apart from the Colosseum and the Vatican.

For a restaurant recommendation, check out http://www.vineriailchianti.com/, which is almost next to the Trevi fountain. The food was stunning and reasonably priced and the red wine was fabulous. We was put on to it by one of our neighbours who spends a lot of time in Rome with work and it was recommended to her by her Italian colleagues.

Oh and the cabs are reasonably cheap too. For a rough guide, we got a cab from the Colosseum in the south to the Spanish Steps in the north and it came to €8.

If your Mrs likes the designer shops, the two main roads are Via del Carrozze and Via della Fontanella di Borghese just off the Piazza di Spagna at the Spanish Steps.

Nice one mate, really appreciate it. What airport did you fly in to and how did you do the transfer?
  • Options
    The one beginning with F lol. Hold on a minute, let me google... Fiumicino, thats the one.

Our hotel sent a limo to pick us up.
    We got a cab back to the airport and it cost €48 which is a standard fare from the airport to any hotel in the City Limits.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

The one beginning with F lol. Hold on a minute, let me google... Fiumicino, thats the one.

Our hotel sent a limo to pick us up.
    We got a cab back to the airport and it cost €48 which is a standard fare from the airport to any hotel in the City Limits.

Thanks again mate
  • Options
    Anyone been to a Cagliari home game? Thinking of going before the season ends...
  • Options

If you want to go to the Vatican then pay to join a guided tour. You will be able to walk straight in and jump the 2-3 hour queue. All hotels have details of these tours and can book them for you

Personally wouldn't book a guided tour unless you really are interested in minute detail. However definitely worth booking a ticket and time slot before you go. Queues for this didn't take us long - Oct 2015. You can book this online directly at Vatican's website pretty easy. You can then go at your own pace. I would recommend an audio guide. This gives a brief description of each room and then you have options to go into more detail at any points that interest you. One big tip if you want to see St Peter's cathedral, which I would recommend. This also has big queues. Just after coming out of Sistine Chapel don't turn left as most people do. On the right at the end is a door and some steps which lead you down to the Cathedral. This is quite legit and the way the guided tours go. They just don't advertise to general public. It means you miss a couple of rooms but will save you a long queue for the Cathedral.

We didn't book Coliseum guided tour either and only had to queue for 10-15 minutes to get in. However we did get reasonably early; probably within an hour of it opening. Our hotel was in the vicinity so was easy.

Having said that nearly everything is walkable. Rome is a fairly compact City.

Loads to see and a great place to visit.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I've got a lads weekend booked up to coincide with the last game of the Italian league season and potentially Totti's last Roma game. We're looking to get tickets before we go or failing that at a Roma store.Is it likely to be a sell out? And in terms of a night out where are we best heading to for a few beers in Rome?

Just get them in one of the club shops mate. I went to the Roma v Sassuolo game last week, Paid 66 euros for 2 tickets for me and the mrs. Stadium holds about 70k i believe but there was less than 30k when i went.Just make sure you take id when you get tickets and at the game as they wont let you buy any, or get in the stadium without it.

its a wonderful city, ive been back just over a week and already wish i was going again. Pleasantly surprised at how nice it is and how friendly the people are. Sant Angelo's castle and the colluseum are a must.

The independent hotel is where we stayed, and id recommend it to anyone, views from its rooftop bar were unreal.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers cafc4life. Club shop it'll be then.
  • Options
    Cheers for the restaurant recommendation JohnBoy

I'm going with the missus for a weekend in July and she is vegetarian so that place suits.
  • Options
    There are some good family style restaurants in the Trastevere neighbourhood.
    We hired out an apartment when we were there and the owner said this is where the locals go to eat.
    We were not disappointed and the price was very reasonable compared to the more touristy areas.
  • Options

We hired out an apartment when we were there and the owner said this is where the locals go to eat.
    We were not disappointed and the price was very reasonable compared to the more touristy areas.

I think that's what we'll do if and when we go back. A friend was in Rome the same weekend we was there and they booked an apartment and it looked miles better than my hotel!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I think that's what we'll do if and when we go back. A friend was in Rome the same weekend we was there and they booked an apartment and it looked miles better than my hotel!
    We stayed here mate.....a bit toppy but a fantastic apartment in a great location.

http://www.casaromacasavacanze.com/index_eng.html
  • Options
    Most wonderful place we've visited.
    Met Vin Diesel at the coliseum...get a guided walking tour, the way they bring history to life can send shivers down the spine
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Campo de Fiori or Trastevere district.

The main clubbing area is in the testaccio district
  • Options
    Cheers Sparrows Lane Lion