Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Childhood Train Set

13»

Comments

• Options

I did think of buying one of my grandkids a model train set, but they all appear too attached to their electronic games and other similar distractions. The term 'model railways' is evocative of a childhood, when on our weekly visits to Bexleyheath Broadway there were two attractions - watching the trolleybuses on routes 696 and 698 and peering into Jennings window. Now that was a toy and model shop. Only to be outdone by the annual pilgrimage to Gamages in Holborn. They had a great layout. And then there were the TWO national model railway exhibitions in London. One was held in the Central Hall, Westminster. About a bob (5p) to get in.
    In the mid 1950s my weekend was complete with the Addicks winning at home and a copy of the Railway Modeller being put through our letter box. If only life was that simple nowadays!

Ah yes. When I would visit my Mum and she asked me to pick up her Daily Mail, I would hide it inside a copy of Railway Modeller, in order to avoid the embarassment.

• Options
    FFS.

Looks like a few of you lot go strictly Virgin.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I couldn't afford a train set for my kids. They had to make do with a bus replacement service.

• Options

Simonsen said:

For all you model railway people; get yourself to Hamburg (watch HSV while u are there) and go to Minitur Wunderland. Train sets on an unbelievable scale.

Even better go to St. Pauli and order a snack off the sausage train.

I had that engine in my train set but it was light blue. It was a good runner - my favourite one!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Here you go @blackpool72 look at these lovely old boys;

Possibly built in Greenwich.
  • Options

I did think of buying one of my grandkids a model train set, but they all appear too attached to their electronic games and other similar distractions. The term 'model railways' is evocative of a childhood, when on our weekly visits to Bexleyheath Broadway there were two attractions - watching the trolleybuses on routes 696 and 698 and peering into Jennings window. Now that was a toy and model shop. Only to be outdone by the annual pilgrimage to Gamages in Holborn. They had a great layout. And then there were the TWO national model railway exhibitions in London. One was held in the Central Hall, Westminster. About a bob (5p) to get in.
    In the mid 1950s my weekend was complete with the Addicks winning at home and a copy of the Railway Modeller being put through our letter box. If only life was that simple nowadays!

Ah yes. When I would visit my Mum and she asked me to pick up her Daily Mail, I would hide it inside a copy of Railway Modeller, in order to avoid the embarassment.

Early, unappreciated post of the year contender.
  • Options
    I hid my mum's daily mail inside my copy of Big Jugs to avoid embaressment!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

One of the things I have learnt out here is that only the British think this hobby is weird. Maybe the Czechs, like the Germans are more technically minded, but nobody thinks it's weird, its just another hobby like hunting or mushroom picking. It's really quite odd when you realise that and then reflect that we invented the railways. I wonder where this attitude came from.

It's possible that those who consider the hobby as weird, associate it loosely or otherwise with those who stand at the end of platforms with a notebook and pencil (or as they do nowadays speak into their smart phones) taking numbers of trains. I've never fully understood as to what the objective of this is. If somebody could enlighten me I'd be pleased.

I will, however, own up to having taken pictures of all 28 HS1 trains bearing the names of the Olympians. Purely from a sporting perspective you'll understand.

• Options

The Sir Nigel Gresley was my first, (and last), Hornby Double O train. I believe it was the second one they put on the market. :-)
    That train just reminds me of Palace, for some reason.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Here you go @blackpool72 look at these lovely old boys;

Possibly built in Greenwich.
    These were probably what Blackpool was using when he first started his career in the fire service.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    bbob said:

Yep, this reminds of Ricky_Otto, totally round the bend.