Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey County Council referendum on increasing council tax 15%

2»

Comments

• Options
    one of the most affluent English counties .. BUT .. will the Surrey 'turkeys' really vote for the Christmas axe/surcharge
  • Options
    Apparently the councillers voted for an a payrise for themselves which was waa above the recxomended level
  • Options
    In case anyone's still interested in this, they've agreed the 15% increase and plan to have it in place by April BEFORE any referendum. Am I right in saying that if this happens and the referendum votes against it, they won't repel the increase till April 2018? It's a frightening thought when some of us are just about scraping the money to get by each month already :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-38737443

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Who cares, it's only Palace and Man Utd fans that live in Surrey anyway

:)
  • Options
    I live in Surrey and know nothing of this other than in the press. Can I link this with a recent revelation that Surrey along with Berks and Oxon, our richest counties have welcomed zero Syrian refugees.
  • Options

I live in Surrey and know nothing of this other than in the press. Can I link this with a recent revelation that Surrey along with Berks and Oxon, our richest counties have welcomed zero Syrian refugees.

I live in Berkshire now and can see Oxfordshire from my house, but I am sure Surrey must be massively richer than both.
    I always feel uneasy there, it seems to comprise nothing more than twee villages brought to gridlock by twats in badly parked range rovers.
  • Options
    I live in Surrey and this increase is probably the final straw in me not being able to afford to live here anymore
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I live in Berkshire now and can see Oxfordshire from my house, but I am sure Surrey must be massively richer than both.
    I always feel uneasy there, it seems to comprise nothing more than twee villages brought to gridlock by twats in badly parked range rovers.
    Haha, especially on school run, Sunbury used to be Middlesex, anyway, dont particularly like either and wish I was back in Greenwich
  • Options
    Referendum has now been scrapped, with a 4.99% increase agreed replacing the proposed 15%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Referendum has now been scrapped, with a 4.99% increase agreed replacing the proposed 15%.

4.99% !? ... tell you what, make it a fiver .. only a hair splitting committee could come up with that result
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The problem was and is, is that the council surely had to cost every service it provides and let the voters decide on what it wants and what it doesn't if it is was going to take that approach. Social Care is a massive issue that needs funding and will still need funding even if voters decide they don't wish to pay for it! The Government needs to address this issue to be fair to councils.
  • Options

Adult social care staff will be to blame when people start dying.
  • Options

4.99% !? ... tell you what, make it a fiver .. only a hair splitting committee could come up with that result
    5% would require a referendum. 4.99% does not.
  • Options
    Typical local politicians threaten to put it up by a totally unrealistic figure so when you do put it up to screw people they will accept it because it could have been worse.
  • Options

Adult social care staff will be to blame when people start dying.
    Won't be many left soon once they all go back home post Hard Brexit...
  • Options
    Accusations flying around at PMQs today that Surrey have done a secret deal with the Govt to drop the referendum on the 15% rise.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Accusations flying around at PMQs today that Surrey have done a secret deal with the Govt to drop the referendum on the 15% rise.

Yep.
    PMQ's,
    Tess goes on an NHS offensive, stats and everything, Jezza looks well on the back foot and Tess is glorying in it, then hey presto with one bound Jezza is free.
    He asks about a leaked special secret deal for Surrey to call off their referendum, and whether the special deal is available to all councils.
  • Options
    He really doesn't push these opportunities through in my view. That was a stormer of a revelation, but he seemed to back off when May was on the ropes.
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

5% would require a referendum. 4.99% does not.
    was unaware .. thanks for the info
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4.99% rise in order to start accepting refugees? Unlikely. Let them go to Labour areas, who have their budgets slashed.
  • Options
    This won't receive the press it deserves as it gets swept under a wave of brexit based headlines
  • Options
    corbyn did well this week

Corbyn 1 - 234293409234 The Tories
  • Options

This won't receive the press it deserves as it gets swept under a wave of brexit based headlines

I expect that may be the case indeed.

If we had any sort of competent opposition they wouldn't let it and it'll be interesting to see whether the LGA run with it too. I heard Theresa Villiers on the radio earlier trying to play it down as the sort of chit chat that goes on all the time between LA's and the DCLG.

Bullshit does it and if it turns out to be true that Surrey County Council has been offered a sweetener to drop the referendum (even if it's via a circuitous route like pushing through a capital grant) it'll be open season for all the other councils to give it a go.

I said earlier on this thread that this was a threat designed to put pressure on the government and it appears to have worked.
  • Options
    We got rid of dodgy dave, now we have dodgy Teresa, things dont change, bent as usual
  • Options
    Wonder what the tory press will have on their front pages tomorrow. No doubt some super life saving pill or weather forecast.
  • Options

I expect that may be the case indeed.

If we had any sort of competent opposition they wouldn't let it and it'll be interesting to see whether the LGA run with it too. I heard Theresa Villiers on the radio earlier trying to play it down as the sort of chit chat that goes on all the time between LA's and the DCLG.

Bullshit does it and if it turns out to be true that Surrey County Council has been offered a sweetener to drop the referendum (even if it's via a circuitous route like pushing through a capital grant) it'll be open season for all the other councils to give it a go.

I said earlier on this thread that this was a threat designed to put pressure on the government and it appears to have worked.
    Which is exactly why I'd be quite surprised if they have been offered any sort of 'sweetheart deal'. I suspect that there will be significant scrutiny of the Council's funding settlements and accounts for the next few years, and its going to be difficult for the government to give SCC any additional money in the near future without it being picked up.

Councils can and do communicate with DCLG on funding matters, and I would not be surprised if the conversation was more focused on future developments such as how the forthcoming changes to business rates and funding formula review is likely to pan out, in an effort (which seems to have worked) to convince the leader of the council that a large rise in CTax was not necessary.

This is of course pure speculation, but in my opinion seems more likely than any additional cash having been agreed in the short term.