Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Upbeats Day 2017 - 8th April *Hales and Flanagan first walkers announced*

13»

Comments

• a mate reminded me about this yesterday, he isn't a Charlton fan but is doing it with mates who are. Can anyone tell me how this works if I want to take my dogs too? I mean what happens when I rock up at The Valley with them at the end, can they come in to watch the match too? etc etc. Seriously, how does it work if you bring a dog or two?

I'll leave my van in the middle, normally at my mates pub (shootershill) but bear in mind thats about 4 miles from SL and about 2 and bit from the Valley so your dog has still got there and back not forgetting the 9 miles in the middle. Ideally I'd someone to run my van down to SE7 but it very problematic when you have no friends! :(
  • With just a month to go, I thought I'd remind people who fancy joining a great event. :)
  • Here is the Justgiving link if you are going to ask your mates to sponsor you on the walk.

https://www.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/charltonathleticcommunitytrust/CharltonUpbeatsDay2017

• I'm in along with at least 5 work colleagues and 3 friends. There will be more.....
  • I'm in too
  • These guys are dragging me someway towards "walking" fitness with daily walks of between 8 and 15 miles daily according to mapmywalk so baring disasters we will be there. I'll sponsor my dogs for my normal £25 as we have now friends ;)image
  • I've just noticed they've raised " 2% " of the target that figure gets everywhere. ;)
  • Heroes.

I've got to get one of those shirts.
  • Tracey said:

An amazing day seeing the Upbeats play football with the first team today. Unfortunately Josh Magennis was on a different schedule (hence not in the photo) but when he did come to meet them I've never seen a man get so many cuddles!!
    A day to feel proud of the hard work CACT do as the stories parents told me of how this has enhanced their children lives was very emotional.
    Let's get fundraising harder to beat last year!!!

See you there
  • Sponsored links:

• This needs a big bump - only £650 raised so far. I've contributed nearly 10% of that - I won our family Six Nations prediction pool so asked my brother-in-law to donate a chunk of my winnings to this fantastic cause.

Get donating/ sponsoring, please.

https://justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/charltonathleticcommunitytrust/CharltonUpbeatsDay2017

• edited March 2017
    Just seen this on the club's social media. I teared up at this, it looks like a really lovely day. I don't want to turn this into something about Karl Robinson, but he seems to really enjoy himself, and I could see him being someone who is quite good with those lads, and that's a credit to the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYY08Vsv2cw
    http://www.cact.org.uk/news/addicks-mark-world-downs-syndrome-day

Now, as Weegie said, get to donating!!!!
  • Great video. Happy to know they are having a great time.
  • Will be collecting votes pre match that day for , wait for it......POTY .

But will happily donate to this great cause.
  • Will be collecting votes pre match that day for , wait for it......POTY .

But will happily donate to this great cause.

Since I can't be there, I'd like to give my vote to @TCE's adorable dogs. I bet they go Josh Magennis. Built like a tank, quick, strong, hard working, puts the yards in, but also incredibly sweet.
  • With 3 weeks to go I've been slowly building Valli's stamina to complete the walk and today she completed 10.5miles along with JJ so is well on her way to being fit enough. Bailey however went all @Lewis Page on me and pulled up lame after 15 minutes and had to be returned home, which is why the every reliable JJ came off the bench to finish the walk. ;)imageimage
  • I'm doing it for the first time this year, any advice on footwear?
  • DA9 said:

I'm doing it for the first time this year, any advice on footwear?

Don't wear a new pair on the day, but a decent pair of trainers/walking boots will suffice. I get through a pair in about 8 months and will get a pair next week so they will be well worn in on the day, 2 pair of socks is a good shout if your not used to the walking.
  • TCE - serious question here. Should my dogs have been in training? They normally get about an hour a day so will 9 miles be too much for them?
  • TCE - serious question here. Should my dogs have been in training? They normally get about an hour a day so will 9 miles be too much for them?

If your dog isn't used to walking those sort of distances then I would consider a steady increase to there or there about the the 12 mile distance. (You've got to get there and back) Theres various things to consider like, if you only walk your dog on the grass/beach their pads may not be hardened enough to walk 10+ on concrete so would cut or blister their pads. As with Valli she's a young dog who is only just reaching the her maximum walking so muscles are still building their strength. If the walk is the same as last year there are a few places, Blackheath & Greenwich park where you can walk on the grass and that will help them. My dogs arn't used to traffic, Valli has never seen a traffic jam in her life, Bailey isn't particularly keen on buses as we only see one about twice a day down here so I've been trying find busy areas and times of the day to get them out amongst it or you could see me on my face London bound attached to 2 Sheps. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Uhmm, going to have to have a think on this. I will only be doing one way as the missus will pick me up at The Valley. My dogs road walk in the week but woods, beach etc at weekend. I'm sure their pads will be ok, its their stamina I'm now worried about. Our youngest, nine months, has boundless energy but the older one is a bit lazy.
  • Think I might struggle to make this unfortunately. My foot is knackered at the moment, not been able to do anything for 4 weeks now. Thought it was my plantar fasciiatis playing up again but not sure now. It comes and goes but some nights the pain is waking me up. We're away all next week and will struggle to get to the doctor before Saturday. Hopefully another week of rest and stretching out will help as I'll be gutted if I have to miss it. If I do drop out, I'll donate the equivalent of what people have pledged to me so far.
  • strangely enough struggling with foot pain myself for last 3-4 weeks.
  • strangely enough struggling with foot pain myself for last 3-4 weeks.

Maybe we can be the welcoming committee in the pub at the end of the walk. To show solidarity, we could start drinking as they set off from Sparrows Lane.
  • I'm still hoping to hobble round, just been strange not knowing what could have caused it. A quick google after you posted that has me now thinking its something similar, or linked to my arthritis. Couldn't work it why it was worse after rest. Will see if it improves in next few weeks and if not then i'll see a doc.
  • edited March 2017
    What is it with all the walks superstars they are all injured!
    Bailey has a leg injury that he got doing agility work, safe to assume you guys didn't get injured the same way? ;)
  • Well I'm fighting fit. I've done no exercise or preparation just to make sure I don't injure myself because we all know exercise is bad for you.

Hopefully see you all at the finishing line
  • I'm still hoping to hobble round, just been strange not knowing what could have caused it. A quick google after you posted that has me now thinking its something similar, or linked to my arthritis. Couldn't work it why it was worse after rest. Will see if it improves in next few weeks and if not then i'll see a doc.

You sure it's not this ? It's seems very common of late.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/plantar-fasciitis-topic-overview#1
  • Really want to do it as it has been great the last 2 years but am having an injection in my foot on Wednesday. When is the cutoff for applications? Will have to see if the injection dulls the pain.