Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anti Virus programmes

2»

Comments

• Options

Over the last couple of days I have been getting junk emails in my hotmail account. Some are getting past the spam filter and appearing in my inbox rather than the junk mail folder. When I move them to the junk folder and try to 'block' them, I get a message saying they can't be blocked as the email address isn't valid. Is this something to be concerned about?

I recently had a dispute with a bank that kept sending me credit card spam (which IMO was in breach of FCA rules). In one of their letters to me they mentioned the email Preference Service (eMPS). Something I had not heard of before. It seems to be run by an organisation called the Data and Marketing Association and the claim is that it will reduce but not eliminate spam. I am yet to try it and wonder whether it is actually genuine. Does anyone know or has anyone tried it with success? https://dmachoice.thedma.org/#
  • Options

Over the last couple of days I have been getting junk emails in my hotmail account. Some are getting past the spam filter and appearing in my inbox rather than the junk mail folder. When I move them to the junk folder and try to 'block' them, I get a message saying they can't be blocked as the email address isn't valid. Is this something to be concerned about?

So, what dodgy sites have you been visiting then? :-)

Just ignore them.

Spam originators get up to all sorts of tricks to the through. One of most popular is sending an email which appears to come from a friend, but when you check carefully the email address is not quite right.
    Just don't click on anything you are not sure of.

Thanks. My main concern was that I've been able to block emails before and have never got a message saying that it couldn't be blocked.
    They have probably just sent a spam message using an alias email address and then deleted that, so when you try to block it, it can't be found. Any reply would have probably been redirected elsewhere.

SPAM is a whole science in itself. If you're not expecting something I would delete it, block it or whatever, and if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

• Options

So, what dodgy sites have you been visiting then? :-)

Just ignore them.

Spam originators get up to all sorts of tricks to the through. One of most popular is sending an email which appears to come from a friend, but when you check carefully the email address is not quite right.
    Just don't click on anything you are not sure of.

Thanks. My main concern was that I've been able to block emails before and have never got a message saying that it couldn't be blocked.
    They have probably just sent a spam message using an alias email address and then deleted that, so when you try to block it, it can't be found. Any reply would have probably been redirected elsewhere.

SPAM is a whole science in itself. If you're not expecting something I would delete it, block it or whatever, and if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Paid £13 for 3 device Kaspersky in December via internet
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

We have Norton on our PC and is up for renewal soon at a hefty 59 quid.

Is it worth it or are the free anti virus programmes sufficient?

Like Hardy says £26 is about top wacks for the 5 pc version. Have used it for years trouble free. Amazon, WHSmith etc.

Free antivirus is what it is.
    Including the bank supplied MacaFee?
    I don't know what version they give away ARTHUR, so can't really comment.

My view on free software is that if the writers are also produce a paid for version then where is the motivation to keep the free version up to scratch?

I know AVG has good reviews, but AV software and other security software is not something I would take a risk with having seen the carnage it can cause.. Norton has always worked well for my devices, and like many things, each to their own choice.

BTW, how many people on here have a regular backup routine?

Thanks MAM - better go and buy one then!
    Checked the HSBC free offer and it seems to be a £39 product when you buy it from McAfee but the offer code makes it free.
    Kapersky is free for Barclays, £30 otherwise.
  • Options
    Get a mac
  • Options
    Do you have a child/grandchild of student age? They get these things at discounted price. My whole family gets covered for £20 a year under my student McAfee account...