Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Teams that have changed the colour(s) of their shirts

2»

Comments

• Options

MrOneLung said:

I may be making this up, but didn't a club change from pale blue and white stripes after the Falklands Conflict - maybe someone like Lincoln ?

Coventry change between plain/stripey shirts.

Stockport. Think they changed to be like Argentina after they won the world cup (Argentina that is not Stockport) and then changed back.

Stockport used to the the answer to a great trick football question but doesn't really work now they are out of the league
    Ian Botham
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

I may be making this up, but didn't a club change from pale blue and white stripes after the Falklands Conflict - maybe someone like Lincoln ?

Stockport. Think they changed to be like Argentina after they won the world cup (Argentina that is not Stockport) and then changed back.

Stockport used to the the answer to a great trick football question but doesn't really work now they are out of the league
    Together with, "Q. Which (sadly former) football league ground is closest to the river Mersey? A. Edgeley Park."
  • Options

Obviously these days every team changes the style of their shirts more or less every season but I was wondering how many teams have completely changed the colour of their shirts. Arsenal must have at one stage because they had that last season at Highbury where they played in their original colours. I seem to remember Palace's shirts were claret and blue. I'm fairly sure Leeds playing in all white was down to Don Revie (correct me if I'm wrong). Any others completely change the basic colour of their shirts ?

I think Orient once played in blue my uncle said.
  • Options

When I was a boy (1950's) Leyton Orient played in blue shirts and white shorts. Does anyone know when they switched to red?

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Leyton_Orient/Leyton_Orient.htm

Seems they went back to Red from blue around the same time they dropped Clapton from their name, 1967
  • Options
    Arsenal changed during their last season at Highbury.
    Manchester United did when the changed from Newton Heath.
  • Options
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Together with, "Q. Which (sadly former) football league ground is closest to the river Mersey? A. Edgeley Park."
    that was the one
  • Options

Manchester United did when the changed from Newton Heath.
    Noticed that was posted higher up the thread and wanted to delete it but clearly posted!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelmsford city changed their tops from claret (they are even called the Clarets) to red for a Season as part of a marketing campaign for (Chelmsford based) Britvics "red card" energy drink. Chelmsford got relegated that season and britvic left Chelmsford. A cautionary tale.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

C_A_F_C said:

Crystal Palace and Leeds

It pains me to say it but I did like the white palace top with the diagonal blue & red stripe.
    I think the target of the Palace fan jokes can no longer be me after this comment.
    I'll be visiting the vast Sawgrass Mills outlet mall in Sunrise, Fl. in a couple of weeks. I'm sure there must be an American Eagle store - anything you need?
  • Options
    Pre war, and well into the 50's, Crystal Palace colours were Black & White. Not sure when they changed though.
  • Options
    Proves how little history the Nigels have, nicking kits from various other teams
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Chelmsford city changed their tops from claret (they are even called the Clarets) to red for a Season as part of a marketing campaign for (Chelmsford based) Britvics "red card" energy drink. Chelmsford got relegated that season and britvic left Chelmsford. A cautionary tale.

Chelmsford city nickname is the clarets. That year they didn't play in claret, didn't play on Chelmsford and Chelmsford wasn't a city.
    Shame we weren't sponsored by red bull.
  • Options
    Thanks Henry for that information, most interesting.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

McBobbin said:

Chelmsford city nickname is the clarets. That year they didn't play in claret, didn't play on Chelmsford and Chelmsford wasn't a city.
    I heard that when Chelmsford was granted city status, someone proposed a motion to their agm that the club should change its name from Chelmsford City to Chelmsford Town.

I've no idea if it's true or not, but I like the story anyway.
  • Options
    Stig said:

McBobbin said:

I heard that when the Chelmsford was granted city status, someone proposed a motion to their agm that the club should change its name from Chelmsford City to Chelmsford Town.

I've no idea if it's true or not, but I like the story anyway.
    This is true, and sums up precisely how little happens in Chelmsford
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We did it briefly... We changed to the colours of Catford Southend (plus we also changed to white home kits for a while)

(Was also the reasoning behind our away shirt a few years ago)

Two years before that, we had a season of wearing blue shorts. No idea why, probably just cheap.
  • Options

Up until the 1930's they wore all red tops only switching to white sleeves after Herbert Chapman took over.
  • Options
    Like Millwall, Southend have had several changes in the shade of blue. They've also changed from blue and white to blue and yellow and back again, had a season in stripes and season in all white.
  • Options
    I'm sure I once heard that Norwich City changed their kit to yellow and green because they were nicknamed 'The Canaries' rather than the other way round.
  • Options
    I think I'm right in saying that Arsenal started playing in red because they got some old kit from Forest, and we likewise did the same from Arsenal.
  • Options
    From that, it looks like they produced a centenary kit based on a shirt design first worn in 1971, rather than the kit they wore when the were founded. How bizarre.

Our centenary kit wasn't very good, in my opinion (I still bought one), but at least it bore some sort of resemblance to our original kit!
  • Options

I'm sure I once heard that Norwich City changed their kit to yellow and green because they were nicknamed 'The Canaries' rather than the other way round.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Norwich_City/Norwich_City.htm

Originally played in blue and white halves.