Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Google pixel phone.

edited February 2017 in Not Sports Related
Anyone got one of these? I'm giving it serious consideration moving over from iPhone.

Would be especially interested if you have one and have moved over from iOS.

Comments

• Options

buckshee said:

Anyone got one of these? I'm giving it serious consideration moving over from iPhone.

Would be especially interestedly you have one and have moved over from iOS.

The predictive text is better
    Fat fingers , I shall correct.
  • Options
    I don't have that phone, but I was in the same boat as you of wanting to move away from iOS but being hesitant.

It's difficult because you just become so used to iPhones and you worry you'll regret the decision.

Anyway, I switched to Samsung.

Don't regret it one bit - iPhone's are shite!

The battery life on its own is a deal breaker.
  • Options
    I want something that's not going to bend like my iPhone has despite it being looked after since the day I bought it. Also like the look of the one plus 3T which can be charged fully from flat in 30 minutes.

Only other time I moved away from iOS was four years ago when I bought a Samsung and I hated it and sold it on within weeks.
  • Options
    Have always preferred the Android operating system over the IOS.

My wife has an iPhone whilst I've got a Samsung Galaxy and just cant operate hers for some reason; briefly thought about swapping to the iPhone last time I renewed but quickly came to my senses, partly just prefer how much control you've got

Simple things like being able to download and choose my own Music Player app... Adding music is so much easier as well, i.e. if I've got the file on my PC I just drag and drop into the relevant folder whereas iTunes feels so restricted
  • Options
    I'm more interested in the hardware side of things. I understand that both iOS and android have their plus and minus points but I've always gone for iPhone as I feel they are a better piece of hardware.
  • Options
    Try the Pixel, or a Sony phone, Sony's are severely underrated and massively outsold by Samsung etc but this is mainly due to shoddy marketing by Sony
  • Options
    I have the One plus 3 which is fantastic although the battery life on my old Samsung was better the dash charging is great as long as you do not do anything power hungry for hours. I have a spare cable at work so it never runs out.
  • Options
    I always feel 10 steps behind people when it comes to phones. Still on the first gen moto g but can't bring myself to change as it does everything I need it to.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Talal said:

I always feel 10 steps behind people when it comes to phones. Still on the first gen moto g but can't bring myself to change as it does everything I need it to.

This is an object lesson to everyone who chases the latest tech.

I've got an old iPhone, it too does everything I need it to. I see no reason to change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Talal said:

This is an object lesson to everyone who chases the latest tech.

I've got an old iPhone, it too does everything I need it to. I see no reason to chance.

The better they get, the shitter the battery gets... I'd just stick to the iPhone 1. My 6s cuts out at random times, dead battery at 60% etc. It's the last apple phone il ever get
  • Options
    I've always used google nexus phones as the price for the specs couldn't be beaten but then with the pixel they increased the price.
    switched to one plus and they make great phones with great specs for a reasonable price, only downside with android phones that aren't Nexus or pixel is software upgrades take forever as the different OEM'S put their own bloat ware and skins etc and plain Android
  • Options

Have always preferred the Android operating system over the IOS.

My wife has an iPhone whilst I've got a Samsung Galaxy and just cant operate hers for some reason; briefly thought about swapping to the iPhone last time I renewed but quickly came to my senses, partly just prefer how much control you've got

Simple things like being able to download and choose my own Music Player app... Adding music is so much easier as well, i.e. if I've got the file on my PC I just drag and drop into the relevant folder whereas iTunes feels so restricted

Having a Mac and an iPhone, all my music is available to both devices all the time. Easier than having to drag and drop stuff between machines. I believe iCloud is available for a Windows, too, so you may be able to have he same ease of use if you have a PC and iPhone.
  • Options
    You can use the Pixel with the daydream headset for mobile VR which is pretty fun. We've got a game coming out end of March for it...
  • Options
    I use my phone as a method of payment, to video call loved ones abroad, and almost all of the apps I use aren't restricted by the operating system. Add to that the fact the phone is waterproof, charges quickly and holds it's charge, and runs incredibly smoothly and faster than the equivalent phone from 5/6 years ago, and I struggle to see why you would keep an inferior phone just because you can't deal with change
  • Options
    Talal said:

I agree - I've considered upgrading but better the devil you know. This is my baby:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

I use my phone as a method of payment, to video call loved ones abroad, and almost all of the apps I use aren't restricted by the operating system. Add to that the fact the phone is waterproof, charges quickly and holds it's charge, and runs incredibly smoothly and faster than the equivalent phone from 5/6 years ago,and I struggle to see why you would keep an inferior phone just because you can't deal with change

Lol it's not because I can't deal with change (every year I change suppliers of pretty much everything, phone tariff, energy, tv etc) but simply my old phone still does what I need it to, at a speed I'm happy with. If I thought it was too slow, I'd change.

• Options
    I'd agree with the Sony phones. I have had the same Xperia SP for over 4 years. Not one problem. I've managed to replace the original OS with Cyanogen for a bit of fun with no problems. Considering changing it now as it doesnt support Android Pay, which is about the only bit of innovation I can really see using. Dont like spending money however so looking at the Wileyfox Swift 2. Bit worried about buying away from the main brands, so have just bought one for my Daughter to try it out !!! Thankfully none of my kids have fallen for the Apple bullsh1t otherwise I'd be broke.
  • Options
    Samsung Galaxy S6 and happyish.

The bug that pisses me off most is the back button and tiles buttons just disapearing (after one overnight upgrade months ago). Googled it to death and tried most things as i am pretty competant around IT. The annoying bit is they spring back to life periodically and i cannot get a handle of what does it, so random.

One observation on modern day life. I am a teacher now but pick up odd bits of IT work from mates. Did ALL of my last piece of work on my phone. Who would of thought that even 10 years ago?
  • Options
    I have a Pixel and think it's a great phone. I moved over from iOS a few years ago and have never regretted it. I did have a Galaxy Note 7 for a few weeks before it - it was possibly even better than the Pixel. Other than the fact that it might blow your face off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have got a pixel XL from IPhone 6, at the start I was a little dissapointed with it. However once I knew how to use it properly the more I liked it.

I'm now pleased with it, there's a lot more customization with the Google phone. Feels more like my phone than just any. With iPhone I felt it was just boring and all the same.

I'd say go for it. As I'm in love with mine now
  • Options

I have got a pixel XL from IPhone 6, at the start I was a little dissapointed with it. However once I knew how to use it properly the more I liked it.

I'm now pleased with it, there's a lot more customization with the Google phone. Feels more like my phone than just any. With iPhone I felt it was just boring and all the same.

It's going to be hard for me (mentally) as I currently have an iPad for work and a MacBook and the wife has an iPhone but I like the look of the pixel.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

It's going to be hard for me (mentally) as I currently have an iPad for work and a MacBook and the wife has an iPhone but I like the look of the pixel.
    Similar to me.
    Both have positives. Battery life is very good in the pixel too
  • Options
    No it's been out for a while, whats the verdict on these from those who have one?

The Missus is looking to upgrade her iPhone 6. She is addicted to Apple stuff but I'm trying to break her away from them but not sure what the best alternative is from the various Android options

She's concerned she's going to struggle to use Android having had iPhones since the 3 first came out, but I reckon she'll get used to it pretty fast.

She's not one for having all the latest apps, it mostly gets used for messaging, email and the like and increasingly for photos/videos of our daughter. That's why I am thinking of the Pixel for the unlimited free photo storage and the apparently top notch camera. I'm also sick of the way Apple build obsolescence into their products, e.g removing the head phone socket or changing the charger plug etc.

Any recommendations from the Charlton Life Geeks?
  • Options
    Sony Xperia range are great. I have the z5 currently and it's brilliant!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I was tempted by the Google Pixel, but I couldn't find a decent contract/price for it. It does look like a cracking phone.

I'll second what Dazzler has said though; Sony are pretty decent, and usually have pretty good specs.
  • Options
    I have an iPhone 6 and a Galaxy 6 (work) and still very much prefer the apple. It was close, until a pre installed app on the samsung started spamming me daily with ads!

It's put me off android phones a bit, knowing you have to be a bit more careful with apps.