Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dulwich Hamlet v Braintree Town FA Trophy Fourth Rd Replay Tonight!

Anyone else going to this? Hard to believe but the Hamlet are 3 wins away from a Wembley final!

Big ask to beat Braintree from a couple of leagues above but should be a good game either way, £10 to get in.

Comments

• I went to the 0-0 draw on Saturday - good game, Hamlet should have finished them off there and then: with Dipo Akinyemi cup-tied they lack a really good striker.

Am going tonight, although not going to make the start unfortunately.
  • Come on the hamlet!

Pink and blue...
  • Having been to see Hamlett a few times I do see parallels with the match day experience at the Champion Hill Stadium, and how Roland envisions it down the Valley.

By this I mean it does seem like a very social experience - people walk their dogs, play drinking games in the bar, and I've even seen families sitting down and doing art on the side.

No dancing just yet though.
  • Having been to see Hamlett a few times I do see parallels with the match day experience at the Champion Hill Stadium, and how Roland envisions it down the Valley.

By this I mean it does seem like a very social experience - people walk their dogs, play drinking games in the bar, and I've even seen families sitting down and doing art on the side.

non league is heading a very different route to league football. As you mentioned, the clubs are having to be a lot more community and socially focussed, having astro turf pitches and renting it out all week except for the few hours the club might need it once or twice a week.

Dulwich hamlet also has a big far left contingent and is very popular with students for that reason.
  • edited February 2017

Having been to see Hamlett a few times I do see parallels with the match day experience at the Champion Hill Stadium, and how Roland envisions it down the Valley.

non league is heading a very different route to league football. As you mentioned, the clubs are having to be a lot more community and socially focussed, having astro turf pitches and renting it out all week except for the few hours the club might need it once or twice a week.

Dulwich hamlet also has a big far left contingent and is very popular with students for that reason.
    I think all that stuff is easy to sustain when in the lower leagues, but if the Hamlet managed a couple of promotions? The larger crowds and EFL regulations would probably kill that vibe fairly quickly.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Having been to see Hamlett a few times I do see parallels with the match day experience at the Champion Hill Stadium, and how Roland envisions it down the Valley.

I think all that stuff is easy to sustain when in the lower leagues, but if the Hamlet managed a couple of promotions? The larger crowds and EFL regulations would probably kill that vibe fairly quickly.
    they already have some of the biggest crowds outside of the football league. But i get your point.
  • edited February 2017
    CAFCTrev said:

Even getting as far as the Conference would kill off their atmosphere. They may just get away with it in Conference South, though can't see them getting promoted this season.

btw - the £4 concessions rate is probably the bigger deal for getting students in.
  • I was also there on Saturday - Braintree is my local team and I try to get in a few matches each season.

You wouldn't have known there were 2 leagues between the teams and a draw was probably a fair result. Dulwich maybe faded slightly fitness-wise towards the end, but still had chances to win and the atmosphere amongst the home fans at the final whistle was more relief than disappointment.

Braintree are also struggling in the league at the moment, and I would fancy Dulwich to do the business on home turf.
  • It would be great to see Dulwich at Wembley, they would probably take several thousand there as its local and with the current buzz around them support wise.

Think they got close to getting promoted to what is now the Vanarama National League in the late 90s but just missed out. That was their last good spell, until now.
  • I'd certainly have gone if I lived in my old house in London, about five minutes walk to the ground (ten minutes back as I was at the top the hill!). A bit far from Phuket though.

Would love to see them progress but generally they've been as good as Charlton at cup failures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Should say as well the Dulwich fans were outstanding throughout Saturday's game.
  • hope they can do well but tough ask against Braintree. being at home is advantage though. would be good to see Hipster FC at Wembley.
  • edited February 2017

generally they've been as good as Charlton at cup failures.

They won the FA Amateur Cup 5 times!

Im guessing you mean the playoff failures of recent years. The Hamlet are the Sheff Utd of the Ryman league when it comes to those.
  • edited February 2017
    On way home from this. Very enjoyable. The crowd looked a lot more than announced.
  • Anyway, if Roland wants to turn Charlton into some kind of song and dance club, he's a long way to go until he beats Dulwich president Jack Payne...

(Might not work immediately as Twitter has some issues)
  • edited February 2017
    CAFCTrev said:

generally they've been as good as Charlton at cup failures.

They won the FA Amateur Cup 5 times!

Im guessing you mean the playoff failures of recent years. The Hamlet are the Sheff Utd of the Ryman league when it comes to those.
    I'm talking recent years, well, in my lifetime anyway,where there record in both the FA Cup and FA Trophy is disappointing to say the least, making last night's result even more impressive.

And as for playoffs...............
  • They're just down the road from us, we may get along on the 25th seeing as it doesn't clash with an away game.
  • The best game Ive seen all season, and refreshing break from the usual Charlton sh*te this season. Has to be one of the all time great Hamlet cup results. The freak own goal from Braintree changed the game and knocked the stuffing out of them.
  • It was a hugely enjoyable experience and a nice holiday from the stuff I endure at the Valley these days.
    The own goal was when the Braintree keeper, Beasant, kicked the ball from his hands into the back of the centre half who was facing upfield, it rebounded and looped into the net.
    Leads to the question as to who's own goal it actually was.
    If by a miracle Dulwich make the final I shall definitely be there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Im deffo going on the 25th, be nice to get together with a few fellow Addicks there!