Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electricity Supply

Is anybody on here in the know about electricity supply.

I'm renting a place which had an Economy7 tariff (storage heaters).

These have now been updated with a new heating system but the guy who put it in mentioned that the night tariff is sometimes adjusted by the supply company for one hour a night to reflect a higher rate. I've no reason to doubt the guy's word.

The reason I ask, is that I've changed my tariff and am monitoring it, and every fortnight on a particular day, the amount of units used, doubles.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    How many meters have you got?

Edit** Displays
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Is anybody on here in the know about electricity supply.

I'm renting a place which had an Economy7 tariff (storage heaters).

These have now been updated with a new heating system but the guy who put it in mentioned that the night tariff is sometimes adjusted by the supply company for one hour a night to reflect a higher rate. I've no reason to doubt the guy's word.

The reason I ask, is that I've changed my tariff and am monitoring it, and every fortnight on a particular day, the amount of units used, doubles.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Try looking every hour at your meter, on mine a light flashes for every KW second used, so there's a good chance your meter will display in live time whether it is economy or premium. On mine I have 2 lights that flash to represent each tariff.

The economy section for mine only works for the boiler though and not the whole flat... Very annoying :(
  • Options
    @Ibborg Three displays on the meter. One is the sum of the other two.

I've worked out which was the night rate side and that only ever uses about 6 units, however, they are one and same now as effectively the tariff is the same for both night and day now we've got rid of the storage heaters and changed the tariff (18p per fkn unit during the day on Economy7 as opposed to 13p now)

I need to understand the spike every two weeks which doubles everything, and how and why the supplier can control the rate overnight.

@Huskaris I'm monitoring it every six hours so I know which appliances have been used. Thanks.
  • Options
    No idea regards the original question but what do people think of getting a locked in tariff until 2020. Worth doing ? Are the prices going to rocket ?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

No idea regards the original question but what do people think of getting a locked in tariff until 2020. Worth doing ? Are the prices going to rocket ?

More likely to go up rather than down.
  • Options

Looks likely they will rise steeply, what with raw material price rises, plus green investment taxes, plus usual corporate greed.

Use Moneysavingexpert - but some of the big suppliers have already put in 8% increases with the rest following suit by April - if you can get in soon.

IMHO
  • Options

Good move. They certainly won't go down.
  • Options
    A lot will depend on what sort of timer switch you have got to switch from peak to of peak . You should get 7 hours electric at of peak price . Plus the time will always be on GMT regardless . Plus it will be easy to work out what rate on your meter is day and night . During the day take a note of the readings R1 and R2 whatever one changes will then be the day rate .