Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's happened to the then, bright new managers

George Burley
Danny Wilson
Paul Jewel
Gus Poyet (not so young)
Billy Davis

I see Dave Jones is now at Hartlepool.

Are these guys still in the game and can anyone think of any one else, who was expected to do well?

Comments

• George is probably in a pub somewhere
  • Alan Pardoo
  • David O'Leary is a strange one... Great job with Leeds, wasnt as good with Aston Villa and then disappeared
  • Poyet is managing in China
  • Didn't jewel join pulis at wba for about 3 1/2 days before leaving again?

• Don't think Billy Davis has really failed anywhere - his worst spell was in the Premier League at Derby, which was effectively a consequence of getting them an unexpected (and unprepared for) promotion the previous season. Seems to have encountered problems in his dealings with chairmen/CEOs.

Wish we'd appointed him instead of Dowie.
  • Danny Wilson was sacked by chesterfield in Jan
  • Iain Dowie
  • A number of managers seem to be on the rise, but then lose their way, many of them famous ex players such as Stuart Pearce and Paul Ince.

Slightly surprised SCP took an assistant's job, I guess he felt that it was better than being out of the limelight and forgotten about
  • Sponsored links:

• A number of managers seem to be on the rise, but then lose their way, many of them famous ex players such as Stuart Pearce and Paul Ince.

Slightly surprised SCP took an assistant's job, I guess he felt that it was better than being out of the limelight and forgotten about

Got to stay in the loop,KillerandFlash,particularly as he had an unsuccessful time at Huddersfield.
  • David O'Leary is a strange one... Great job with Leeds, wasnt as good with Aston Villa and then disappeared

Agree, where is he now?
  • Danny Wilson was sacked by chesterfield in Jan

So can these managers only succeed if they have large transfer budgets, though i guess that could apply to all managers?
  • edited February 2017

David O'Leary is a strange one... Great job with Leeds, wasnt as good with Aston Villa and then disappeared

Agree, where is he now?
    Isnt in charge anywhere... Had a brief stint in Qatar in 2010 but left after a year
  • What happened to the guy who managed the "Team of the Eighties"
  • edited February 2017

David O'Leary is a strange one... Great job with Leeds, wasnt as good with Aston Villa and then disappeared

Agree, where is he now?
    Isnt in charge anywhere... Had a brief stint in Qatar in 2010 but left after a year
    I also think, George Graham's ( I know the topic heading doesn't apply to him) a strange one, why did he become so unpopular?
  • Don't let on to @ElfsborgAddick .. Billy Davies at the start of his illustrious playing career had a few games in Sweden for .. Yes .. Elfsborg .. that fact alone would be enough for our happy wanderer to demand that Davies be appointed CAFC manager tout de suite, if not sooner
  • Don't let on to @ElfsborgAddick .. Billy Davies at the start of his illustrious playing career had a few games in Sweden for .. Yes .. Elfsborg .. that fact alone would be enough for our happy wanderer to demand that Davies be appointed CAFC manager tout de suite, if not sooner

I always rated Matti Svensson as well!

waiting on duchatelet to fuck off i presume..
  • I've just wiped a massive stinking Alan Pardew off my trainers.
    Will never run in that park again
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd argue that the game had already started to move on when most of them were breaking through 10-15 years ago. I'd further that by saying it can be easier to overachieve with a small team using the traditional organized, physical, British style (Jewell, Davies, also Bryan Robson, Aidy Boothroyd, etc.) than it is to manage a team with the expectation of going out and winning more games than not (Moyes).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think there is going to be a "lost generation" of former players looking to go into management because the methods they were used to as players, and the coaches they played under, are just incredibly dated now (Roy Keane, Martin O'Neil). The days of tackling from behind and the YTS lads cleaning the senior players' boots is gone now, but my god does that seem to stick in the craw of so many former ex-pros (many of whom currently work in commentary).
  • The lad Curbishley
  • Valley11 said:

The lad Curbishley

Who?
  • SDAddick said:

I'd argue that the game had already started to move on when most of them were breaking through 10-15 years ago. I'd further that by saying it can be easier to overachieve with a small team using the traditional organized, physical, British style (Jewell, Davies, also Bryan Robson, Aidy Boothroyd, etc.) than it is to manage a team with the expectation of going out and winning more games than not (Moyes).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think there is going to be a "lost generation" of former players looking to go into management because the methods they were used to as players, and the coaches they played under, are just incredibly dated now (Roy Keane, Martin O'Neil). The days of tackling from behind and the YTS lads cleaning the senior players' boots is gone now, but my god does that seem to stick in the craw of so many former ex-pros (many of whom currently work in commentary).

SD, can't quite remember if it was Billy Davies in charge, but 3-4 seasons ago Forest absolutely battered Charlton at the Valley. It only ended 0-2, but they "passed them off the park" as the saying goes. I have a feeling it was Billy Davies' team, and they were massively impressive, but I may be wrong.
  • Things go in cycles though

For a period of time, Spanish style tactics and managers were all the rage or Mourinho and his disciples. Now Germans are all the rage, apart from Klopp there's also his assistant Wagner at Huddersfield, and Arsenal have been "linked" with his replacement at Dortmund, Tuchel

Maybe he spoke to Curbishley & also looked at how many ex managers there are floating around.