Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Peter Richardson - Worcestershire, Kent and England Batsman

http://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/former-kent-and-england-opener-peter-richardson-dies

I saw him bat at the Rectory Field Blackheath back in the day.

One for the oldies but a distinguished player and a practical joker whom played a great prank on EW Swanton at Canterbury apparently.

Comments

• Options
    RIP Peter
  • Options
    Remember him well. RIP Peter. What was the prank on EW Swanton, @LenGlover?
  • Options

Remember him well. RIP Peter. What was the prank on EW Swanton, @LenGlover?

Swanton was commentating on the wireless so Richardson got the umpire to stop play, walk to the commentary box and loudly complain about the loud booming noise emanating from it to general mirth and merriment.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    And I remember that brown wooden box.....no bigger than a toilet...god knows how E.W.S. fitted in it, and when I saw it I think it was Brian Johnston's turn. RIP Peter Richardson, or as the newspaper seller called him Peter Richinson's in now. Blackheath days.......
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    Oh dear - one of the best stroke players I have ever seen and that includes Compton. Thing about PR was that once in his stride he set about the bowling - cover drives were sometimes breathtaking. Saw two centuries before lunch - he always seemed to be enjoying himself. Really fast bowling often found him out at test level , but he mostly gave pleasure and had many admirers.
    RIP
  • Options
    Sad news, RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @LenGlover - do you remember this one? Not Peter Richardson's best performance, but I remember 21 of the 22 players from the two sides. I don't remember David Baker.

http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/25/25658.html
  • Options
    I don't think I saw Richardson play, but I remember EW Swanton who, according to Ray Illingworth was too snobbish to travel in the same car as his chauffeur :-)
  • Options

@LenGlover - do you remember this one? Not Peter Richardson's best performance, but I remember 21 of the 22 players from the two sides. I don't remember David Baker.

http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/25/25658.html

I remember Peter from Blackheath days as well .. he had a younger brother who was also a very good batsman at Worcestershire .. R I P Peter ..

as for Baker.. could be a misbrain episode .. I recall a bespectacled either r/arm medium or off break bowler who had one golden season ? .. or perhaps not
  • Options
    RIP Peter
  • Options
    tracked down David Baker .. a rare animal, a leg not off spinner

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/27/27625/27625.html
  • Options
    Got his autograph at the Colin Cowdrey vs Freddie Trueman charity game at the Bickley Park CC back in the early 60's in the days prior to the Sunday League - also got Hattie Jacques autograph too ;-)

• Options
    Remember seeing him at the Rectory Fields, where we
    used to play either Surrey or Essex.
    Think he was a good friend of Colin Cowdrey,
    and a great signing for Kent from Worcestershire.
    Great opening batsman.
    RIP Peter condolences to your family.
  • Options
    Small world

I was at that game - I actually got Eddie Firmani's autograph - he was just a spectator.

Peter was a magnificent opening bat - excellent stroke player.

My dad had lunch with him at one function - he was an entertaining man on and off the field of play. He reckoned the first ball of the innings was always going to be the worst ball of the day so he was intent on putting it away to the boundary. He was also somewhat dismissive of opposing bowlers recounting that on many occasions he made sure he was not too punishing on the worst ones. He wanted to keep them bowling so he could just "milk" the runs at his leisure.

He was however not my favourite on one occasion.

Having watched every ball of a 3 day match against Surrey at Rectory Field Kent were on the point of victory but faced a battling 10th wicket stand by the Surrey tail enders. I had all but given up, packed up all my stuff to get the bus home as it reached the last over of the day.

On the 3rd ball the batsmen reached forward edged the ball to second slip where Richardson ............missed the catch. In fact I am not even sure he laid a hand on it.

I was not impressed!.

No matter Peter thanks for all the memories.