Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford - Match Thread (post match from P15)

Comments

• Options
    wasn't there .. the highlights indicate a quite even game .. Byrne hits the bar from distance and then Oxford score from a long distance shot that Rudd should have saved .. I am not a believer in bad/good luck .. BUT .. this season we have had terrible luck or is it more a case of Murphy's Law

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/charlton-athletic/10777142/charlton-0-1-oxford/
  • Options

wasn't there .. the highlights indicate a quite even game .. Byrne hits the bar from distance and then Oxford score from a long distance shot that Rudd should have saved .. I am not a believer in bad/good luck .. BUT .. this season we have had terrible luck or is it more a case of Murphy's Law

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/charlton-athletic/10777142/charlton-0-1-oxford/

We weren't very good, and we were also unlucky. That make sense?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Decided to stay in and vote with my feet tonight. Last home league game I missed was Spurs in Apr 2007, so nearly ten years. I really enjoyed the Man City v Monaco game on BT, so didn't miss it at all.

Although I'm included in the official attendance, the club will know the true attendance and the number of season ticket stayaways. Last seasons stay-aways became this seasons lapsed season ticket holders, so they will be getting an indication on how many more will not renew next season. If they are bothered, which I very much doubt, they have been served notice. The Restaurant hasn't moved, but the food is shite, the service is shite and the atmosphere is shite, so customers are dwindling away. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cockroaches in the kitchen.

Can the true attendance be disclosed by a FOI request?

I think you are 100% correct - they are too useless to be bothered. I and my family have been season ticket holders since god knows when until this season. Not even an e-mail! Meire hasn't got a clue how to run a business. Roland sacks the bad managers in a heartbeat, but he has the most useless CEO imaginable and she seems to be safer, the worse the business does! Of course it is much more than a business to us!
  • Options
    First person to say YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK THOUGH gets the deathstare
  • Options

Crofts running in treacle again, same as Rochdale's third goal Saturday, and from that camera angle I think Solly can feel very hard done by with his red card. It's a good job I'm not still playing, wouldn't have ever got past half time in a game :open_mouth: .
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Yes it does.
    And when you combine the two it equals defeat
  • Options
    Leuth said:

it does .. I have been to only three games at the Vale of Tears this season and lots of away games .. my visits and the high(lol)lights I have seen from home games this season indicate to me that the Valley is cursed .. all that misfortune/devilish/divine intervention cannot be mere happenstance .. for example, we have surely hit the goal frame more times than we have scored and yet STILL cannot win the crossbar challenge, I sense the devil's hand in this .. I have said before, we need an exorcist NOW, before Bury bury us deeper underground
  • Options
    Leuth said:

First person to say YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK THOUGH gets the deathstare

There is quite lot of truth in that observation. If you work hard, persevere, do the right thing, luck evens out. I would like to add that in the end, the table does not lie.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    RedChaser said:

Crofts running in treacle again, same as Rochdale's third goal Saturday, and from that camera angle I think Solly can feel very hard done by with his red card. It's a good job I'm not still playing, wouldn't have ever got past half time in a game :open_mouth: .
    Perhaps the Croft issue is that 'the gaffer' has masterminded a zonal defence and Croft's role is to fill a gap and 'someone else' has the responsibility of tackling an attacker within (say) 25/30 yards/metres what the fuck ever from our goal ..

having said that I feel you're being a little harsh on Crofts .. his MAIN problem is that all too often his sluggish teammates have difficulty in finding space for him to make a coherent pass .. they seem to regard space as 'the final frontier' and are not bold enough to go into it ..
    as for Solly .. mate, he went in with feet off the turf, nowadays that is a red 90% of the time .. I sense that St Chris is getting more and more frustrated at what is going on both on and off the arena .. it's a real shame, he's the last bastion, apart from the aged JJ, of a more pleasant era
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

I'm not trying to spin this, and it sounded awful against Oxford, but those who went to Rochdale saw a completely different scenario. Plenty of effort, some poor defending, some flashes of genius, and a three all draw. Left the game feeling pretty positive.

How have they fallen apart in three days?! Is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about?

You can cherry pick things out @JamesSeed but there's been no dramatic regression in three days. This is a side that have won 0 in 5, 3 in 15. In League One.

If people want to highlight any noticeable downtown, results suggest it's since Robinson was appointed, as before that we had lost just 1 in 9, and in that game we were depleted.
    Sorry and all that, but it was dire under Slade. Robinson imho improved things, and I think most people here agree?
    However, the downward trend since the window has been alarming.
    But to me it's pointless comparing Russell losing one in nine to what's happened under Robinson. If it had been zero in nine we'd still have been playing awful, defensive, sterile football. We were going nowhere.
    Despite that I was against him being sacked, just as I'm against Robinson being sacked.
    I don't agree.

I just can't see how Robinson has improved things.

There is a myth that Robinson plays attacking exciting football but I've not seen any more of that than I did under Slade and a lot less than under Nugent.

The Scouse Emperor has no clothes.

I'm not calling for KR to be sacked just as I didn't call for Slade's head either but please don't try and tell me his football is any good.

JUST WIN GAMES
    I'm not trying to tell you anything Ben, but I thought there was a definite improvement. I'm sure you noticed that. Me expressing an opinion doesn't mean I'm trying to tell you anything, so don't get aggressive with me pal ;-)
    But after having sat through the home matches v. Rochdale and Oldham last November (or was it December?) things could hardly have failed to improve.
    Feel free to disagree, but don't criticise me for 'trying to tell' you anything, or I'll not be happy.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

I'm not trying to spin this, and it sounded awful against Oxford, but those who went to Rochdale saw a completely different scenario. Plenty of effort, some poor defending, some flashes of genius, and a three all draw. Left the game feeling pretty positive.

How have they fallen apart in three days?! Is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about?

You can cherry pick things out @JamesSeed but there's been no dramatic regression in three days. This is a side that have won 0 in 5, 3 in 15. In League One.

If people want to highlight any noticeable downtown, results suggest it's since Robinson was appointed, as before that we had lost just 1 in 9, and in that game we were depleted.
    Sorry and all that, but it was dire under Slade. Robinson imho improved things, and I think most people here agree?
    But to me it's pointless comparing Russell losing one in nine to what's happened under Robinson. If it had been zero in nine we'd still have been playing awful, defensive, sterile football. We were going nowhere.
    Despite that I was against him being sacked, just as I'm against Robinson being sacked.
    I don't agree.

There is a myth that Robinson plays attacking exciting football but I've not seen any more of that than I did under Slade and a lot less than under Nugent.

I'm not calling for KR to be sacked just as I didn't call for Slade's head either but please don't try and tell me his football is any good.

JUST WIN GAMES
    I'm not trying to tell you anything Ben, but I thought there was a definite improvement. I'm sure you noticed that. Me expressing an opinion doesn't mean I'm trying to tell you anything, so don't get aggressive with me pal ;-)
    But after having sat through the home matches v. Rochdale and Oldham last November (or was it December?) things could hardly have failed to improve.
    Feel free to disagree, but don't criticise me for 'trying to tell' you anything, or I'll not be happy.
    I disagree, Slade was boring but he knew how to defend and we didn't have, nor have we now the midfield that can both give the defence some cover and/or get enough goals.

Put more simply IMHO Slade had more tactical ability than the blinkered only one way to play Robinson. Yes initially looked more exciting possibly because of the new manager bounce but we are now on the crest of a slump, a loss on Saturday will see us in real trouble.

Having said all this the real fault lies with the owner and SMT who simply haven't got a clue.
  • Options
    Give me boring old Jose Mourinho winning the title with Chelsea than free flowing, pleasing getting nowhere football. Sorry - just get me out of this shit hole of a league PLEASE. SOMEBODY!
  • Options
    @jimmyseed have to take your word for it chief, only seen one Robinson team (v Millwall).

If I was taking a punt on when things 'might have changed' I'd plump for the aftermath of when Robinson went with his back up to see 'Mr President'.

If it was to negotiate a decent spend from the Lookman / Fox money that was to soon roll in, then it failed miserably judging by how the window finished.

Robinson then slagged off players that left, and slagged off / questioned others in his comments last night. Players don't like things like that one bit.

This smacks once again of a disjointed, dispirited squad who (for whatever reason) won't be running through walls for their manager.
  • Options
    jams said:

Can't wait until naby comes back in the summer to shore up the defence

Nor can Katrien!
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

I don't agree.

JUST WIN GAMES
    I disagree, Slade was boring but he knew how to defend and we didn't have, nor have we now the midfield that can both give the defence some cover and/or get enough goals.

Put more simply IMHO Slade had more tactical ability than the blinkered only one way to play Robinson. Yes initially looked more exciting possibly because of the new manager bounce but we are now on the crest of a slump, a loss on Saturday will see us in real trouble.

Having said all this the real fault lies with the owner and SMT who simply haven't got a clue.
    Agree with your last point.
    But both Slade & Robinson are a bit one dimensional. We were always on at Slade to play two up front. And he would always get defensive when we went one up.
    Robinson keeps selecting the wrong players and keeps playing a system that no one understands.
    But the JUST WIN MATCHES mantra is a little glib @Henry Irving
    Obviously it's all about winning matches. Personally I'll take a lucky one nil over a flashy three all any day.
  • Options
    If we are in leauge two. Will they let us be a big club. I liked being a big club ?
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

I don't agree.

JUST WIN GAMES
    You may have thought there was definite improvement but I've not seen it either in the football played or the results. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Slade and Robinson had the same problem - Duchatelet.
    Agree with that a footballer's 110%

If he's not gone before next season I'd be surprised though.

He's clearly unstable, and a real long term danger to Charlton Athletic.

It's going to be hard to recover from his reign, whenever it ends.
  • Options

If we are in leauge two. Will they let us be a big club. I liked being a big club ?

probably the most heartbreaking post of all time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't understand why we keep seeing reports from opposition fans saying we are a decent side.

Just don't see it - we're shite!
  • Options

Can't understand why we keep seeing reports from opposition fans saying we are a decent side.

It's because League One is a cesspool. We're a slightly larger turd bobbing around in a sea of other turds.
    Sure, but I don't think we're a better turd than any others.

We don't out play teams and although nearly all of the teams we play look like turd, we don't look any better. Infact, in the majority of cases, worse!
  • Options
    Good ground, nice new seats, lovely playing surface...what's not to like?
  • Options
    Really can't stand that 'League One is a cesspool' attitude.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It is though?

The standard is rubbish with many terrible sides.

We're one of them.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Yeah but it is. Not saying we deserve anything better.

It's why sensibly run clubs with consistent management policies rise to the top eg Burton Albion. And trainwrecks, eg Coventry, Blackpool, Sheff U until this year, struggle to get out.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Yeah but it is. Not saying we deserve anything better.

It's why sensibly run clubs with consistent management policies rise to the top eg Burton Albion. And trainwrecks, eg Coventry, Blackpool, Sheff U until this year, struggle to get out.
    That makes it a decent professional football league, not a cesspool
  • Options
    Granted, you need a decent professional team to get out of it...
  • Options

Probably because Robinson has got us trying to pass the ball around a bit more. It can look good but we don't score enough goals to win games.