Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What will it take for Robinson to stop using 4-2-3-1?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I think we will need to consider 5 - 4 - 4 - 3 to have any chance.
  • Options
    Either it's an awful system or the players aren't up to it, or big Karl simply can't see it for himself.
  • Options

Either it's an awful system or the players aren't up to it, or big Karl simply can't see it for himself.

Or all three!
  • Options
    The sack?
  • Options
    The reason I am protesting is that the formation is not the real problem. Otherwise I'd protest against Robinson, but he has both hands tied behind his back by my reckoning!
  • Options
    He's hardly had long in the job for christ's sake. Get off Robinson's back.
  • Options

I agree to an extent, however his insistence to play in a formation that is clearly not suited to the players he has at his disposal is naive at best and at worst incompetent.

Any manager worth his sort makes the most of what he's got, I don't believe that would make us a top 6 side necessarily but we'd be better placed than we are now.

He's had time enough with the players, he's bought in a handful and cleared out a handful supposedly all his decisions......

If that's true (which a lot of us doubt) then he's at least largely to blame for the recent results.

Slightly in his defence we all know that no manager will be successful under the current ownership but he should be doing better.
  • Options
    whatever our formation - who is going to score the goals we need? Who has the stats/record to suggest they can do it?
  • Options

whatever our formation - who is going to score the goals we need? Who has the stats/record to suggest they can do it?

Jackson has about as good a record as any of our potent strike force........ may as well play him as the number 10 in the 3-1-2-4 formation.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just waiting for the news now that he is sacked and the Irishman is in charge!

I turned the job down, because (in a rare Socratic moment of sanity) I recognise that I'm clueless...
    It didn't stop the last 7.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

I'm sure he's only using it because he thinks he needs to look a trendy modern coach using the latest system. Someone tell him he's behind the times. Guardiola uses 4-1-2-3, with five attacking players, Zidane also at Real, as did Wenger at Sutton last night, Montella at AC Milan, Sarri at Napoli, Mihailovic at Torino, Puel at Southampton, Lambert has already adopted it at Wolves, Jokanovic at Fulham, Silva at Hull, McLaren at Derby, have all switched to 4-1-2-3.

Robbo needs to liven up, he's looking like a dinosaur.

However in all seriousness, the system should fit the players. Conte has proved that this season at Chelsea by switching to 3-4-3, after starting with 4-2-3-1. PSG used 4-2-3-1 to beat Barca 4-0 last week, who are 4-3-3, and have been for a number of seasons. So 4-2-3-1 can still be very effective. Either you sign players to fit a system or chose a system to fit what you have.

@Tutt-Tutt as arguably the most football knowledgeable bloke on here what system do YOU think suits us?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

You're right in a way but he must be approaching or past Slade's number of games now?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

What he's not been a football manager long enough to learn that there is more than one formation available to him and that shoe horning several players into the same one formation every game regardless of their suitability to it may not always be the best idea?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    So leading from this, or should we start a new thread? What is the correct formation? It clearly isn't working he needs to change it, but this doesnt look likely.

My team:
    Rudd
    Solly, Tex/ Baur / Chicksen (Baur would be dropped if Pearce gets fit)
    Byrne , Crofts, JFC, Holmes
    Malvidi/ Magdennis

or
    Solly/ tex/ Baur/ Chicksen
    Crofts/ Konsa/ JFC
    Holmes/ Magdennis/ Malvidi - Aribo for either wingers

The problem i see its pretty much the same team, but if we just shift to 442 or even a diamond we would look better.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

You're right in a way but he must be approaching or past Slade's number of games now?
    And Slade was praised and thanked for the changes he made off the field. On that basis Robinson has already under-performed for longer than Slade did and he is slagging off his players in the media and Slade has one bad result after a good run...
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

However in all seriousness, the system should fit the players. Conte has proved that this season at Chelsea by switching to 3-4-3, after starting with 4-2-3-1. PSG used 4-2-3-1 to beat Barca 4-0 last week, who are 4-3-3, and have been for a number of seasons. So 4-2-3-1 can still be very effective. Either you sign players to fit a system or chose a system to fit what you have.

This - you have to play the game that most suits the players you've got ( a la Nugent ) , not try to play a system that doesn't suit the players around you with the ones you're stuck with and who can't play the style you want.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

6 games to go.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    LenGlover said:

Maybe, but using number of games served by any of Roland's head coaches managers as a gauge for sensible length of managerial term is like judging your IQ against Joey Essex.
  • Options

So leading from this, or should we start a new thread? What is the correct formation? It clearly isn't working he needs to change it, but this doesnt look likely.

My team:
    Rudd
    Solly, Tex/ Baur / Chicksen (Baur would be dropped if Pearce gets fit)
    Byrne , Crofts, JFC, Holmes
    Malvidi/ Magdennis

or
    Solly/ tex/ Baur/ Chicksen
    Crofts/ Konsa/ JFC
    Holmes/ Magdennis/ Malvidi - Aribo for either wingers

The problem i see its pretty much the same team, but if we just shift to 442 or even a diamond we would look better.

As long as we lack a number 10, speedy overlapping full backs and a mobile defensive midfielder 4-4-2 is probably our best bet, sometimes switching to 4-3-3 to match up in midfield if the opposition is threatening to overrun us. We've got some decent strikers in Magennis, Watt, Mavididi and Novak, all of whom benefit from not playing on their own, a winger in Holmes who can both provide creativity and support his full back to a certain extent and, in theory, a very good back line. Our defenders have looked rubbish partially because our hodgepodge midfield doesn't know how to provide cover in this 4-2-3-1 and we're jamming players into the system who don't fit. Holmes isn't a 10, Watt isn't a winger, Magennis shouldn't be shoved out wide when we make subs, Crofts isn't able to cover enough ground in a midfield two and JFC is probably very confused about what his role actually is as it changes every game. A fit Kashi would probably be the answer to a lot of problems but I don't think he actually exists anymore so there's no point in actually counting him. We just don't have the depth to try anything fancy.

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Tex Chicksen
    Byrne JFC Konsa Holmes
    Magennis Watt

This could work as it means that the defence is strong, but also has two wingers who know how to cover their full backs when out of possession. JFC (or Ulvestad if he's still alive) is free to try and start moves and pick passes as Konsa is mobile enough to cover any gaps he leaves and knows how to break up play. I've always found it odd that we use him as a midfield shuttler and have Crofts as the shield, but if you're trying to force your team to fit a system then there aren't a lot of options for Karl. JFC is used to playing deep enough that without the ball he won't go missing in the midfield battle. Up front you've got Magennis as an out ball and a willing runner. Watt should be able to operate in the space Josh and the wingers create and be able to run at defences from an advanced position, which is his best trait. Magennis will also have the role of smashing Watt in the nads every time he decides to drop ridiculously deep to pick up the ball like a petulant 9 year old. It's not perfect and it's old fashioned but it suits our squad and allows our best players to play in their best roles. We can always add Crofts or Aribo into the midfield if we're being overrun. Robinson needs to realise that slavish devotion to a system doesn't work if you can't bring in all the players you want to suit it. Conte realised he didn't have the players to do what Mourinho had wanted early on, van Gaal attempting to force a 3 at the back situation onto United didn't work, Karanka is drowning at the bottom of the Premier League because he won't adapt his formation under any circumstances, and these are all managers with a bit of money and owners willing to back them. Robinson has no bloody chance of sticking to a formation when there's random Chelsea loanee children turning up in place of star players and some work experience kid on his laptop doing the scouting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Conte can impose his system on Chelsea because he has world class players all over the pitch and especially in Kante someone who does the job of two players.

We don't have that quality of player, or the individual brilliance needed to break down defences, especially since the sale of Lookman. Thus we tend to look very predictable going forward, as rival managers know exactly how we are going to line up. Similarly, they know how to attack us, as they know where we are vulnerable at the back.

With Solly out, KR has talked of playing Byrne at RB. Surely this is an ideal time (if Konsa is fit) to play 3 at the back instead, with Page/Chicksen and Byrne as the wing backs.

• Options
    Sampaio at Seville, another coach using the newly popular 4-1-2-3 system, in tonight's Champions League game against Leicester. Robbo really must keep up with the new trends, if he wants to keep his reputation as a progressive young coach. He could drop it into the numerous never ending press conferences to impress.
  • Options
    What will it take for Robinson to stop using 4-2-3-1?
    Having 2 players sent off.
  • Options
    Bump.
  • Options
    Roland probably emailed and told him to play that way
  • Options
    Relegation ?