Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Solly Red Card

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just watched it a few times. I don't think he actually touches him. It looks a lot worse than it really was bu tthe player made a meal of it and the ref reacted VERY quickly (probably too quickly). From his angle it looks like Solly has smashed him in retaliation

Funnily enough was JFC booked when HE was the one fouled too

Strange ref
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Just watched it a few times. I don't think he actually touches him. It looks a lot worse than it really was bu tthe player made a meal of it and the ref reacted VERY quickly (probably too quickly). From his angle it looks like Solly has smashed him in retaliation

Strange ref

JFC was booked when he was fouled/slipped big could have had about 3 yellow cards before being shown one.
  • Options
    Maybe Sols was to honest staying on his feet. Go down and in necessary take a yellow for diving.
  • Options
    Do you think this red card may have been racially motivated AddickFC81?
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Do you think this red card may have been racially motivated AddickFC81?

Doubt it. Can't be blondest because the ref was blond. Can't be sizest because the ref was as short as Solly.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Strange ref

You don't have to touch him!!!!! Its intent and how wreckless!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Swisdom said:

Strange ref

You don't have to touch him!!!!! Its intent and how wreckless!
    Oh s***!
  • Options

Having seen it. Red is harsh. He slides along the ground and takes the ball and slightly brushes the player. To be fair to the ref his view is blocked by the Oxford player. Camera angle from east stand is better. Why a video ref could help. Karl right to have a go at appealing as it has a chance. The only reason why fans say it's a red is because they are bitter and twisted over a bad result and bad performance. If we had won with a good result and good performance these same people would have had a different opinion. Just cheap scapegoating. Even worse to a player who by and large has been fantastic for us.

Sorry but disagree on all counts. Understand where your coming from, but Solly (who I admire hugely and is just about the last vestige of "our Charlton" that we have left) has been increasingly petulant as the season goes on and has IMHO been a red card waiting to happen. He's presumably as pissed off as the rest of us, but he's skipper and needs to act like it. From my vantage point 20 yards away square on in the east stand it was a red all day long on first viewing (and that's all the ref has). Yes Chris was fouled but he lunged recklessly and them's the rules. I'd have preferred it to be someone else but it wasn't. I've not seen a video and will be happy to admit I'm wrong when and if I do, but as for scapegoating, there's plenty on my list before Solly mate.
    Video is here mate... http://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-oxford-utd/359047
    Ta. I've watched it twice now. I still think it's a straight red. Or to be strictly accurate, I can see why the ref thinks it is. He lunged at the bloke with the ball off to the side. The fact that he had reason to be frustrated is neither here nor there for me. It's as much about the perception of intent as about the actual contact.
    Generally agree with you except about the 'intent' line. That's deliberately omitted from the rule book because you can't determine a player's intent.

You can gauge whether it was violent conduct, excessive force, preventing a goalscoring opportunity etc.

This one has to be deemed excessive force, and going in high and late certainly ticks some of the boxes. Intent may have been to rough the guy up out of frustration, but can't be the reason he's sent off.
    Except for handball, where the law clearly states it has to be deliberate.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Having watched the video, I'm still not sure what to think. It's a bit of a lunge, but it's along the ground and it's his trailing leg that catches the player. It doesn't look like he is out of control or trying to injure, but the camera angle means the actual contact is somewhat hidden by Solly's body so there may have been more to it than the video lets on.

The ref was the other side to the camera so had a good view, but what I would say is he did pull his card out very fast which I never like seeing as even if they feel 90%+ about a decision, it just seems to me to be sensible refereeing to take a breath and give yourself a moment to think before doing something as significant as sending a player off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Having seen it. Red is harsh. He slides along the ground and takes the ball and slightly brushes the player. To be fair to the ref his view is blocked by the Oxford player. Camera angle from east stand is better. Why a video ref could help. Karl right to have a go at appealing as it has a chance. The only reason why fans say it's a red is because they are bitter and twisted over a bad result and bad performance. If we had won with a good result and good performance these same people would have had a different opinion. Just cheap scapegoating. Even worse to a player who by and large has been fantastic for us.

Why do you always seem to be having a pop at other fans on here? Especially after games? Some of your posts lately have been ridiculous and downright offsenive from clicking on your profile. What is your problem? I'm genuinely intrigued as to why you keep going off on one at the rest of us, claiming that everyone is fickle all the time.

I was not having a pop at fans for being upset about a bad result and bad performance I can see why they are upset. But what does offsenive mean. I know what offensive means but not offsenive.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    PeterGage said:

Sorry but disagree on all counts. Understand where your coming from, but Solly (who I admire hugely and is just about the last vestige of "our Charlton" that we have left) has been increasingly petulant as the season goes on and has IMHO been a red card waiting to happen. He's presumably as pissed off as the rest of us, but he's skipper and needs to act like it. From my vantage point 20 yards away square on in the east stand it was a red all day long on first viewing (and that's all the ref has). Yes Chris was fouled but he lunged recklessly and them's the rules. I'd have preferred it to be someone else but it wasn't. I've not seen a video and will be happy to admit I'm wrong when and if I do, but as for scapegoating, there's plenty on my list before Solly mate.
    Video is here mate... http://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-oxford-utd/359047
    Ta. I've watched it twice now. I still think it's a straight red. Or to be strictly accurate, I can see why the ref thinks it is. He lunged at the bloke with the ball off to the side. The fact that he had reason to be frustrated is neither here nor there for me. It's as much about the perception of intent as about the actual contact.
    Generally agree with you except about the 'intent' line. That's deliberately omitted from the rule book because you can't determine a player's intent.

You can gauge whether it was violent conduct, excessive force, preventing a goalscoring opportunity etc.

This one has to be deemed excessive force, and going in high and late certainly ticks some of the boxes. Intent may have been to rough the guy up out of frustration, but can't be the reason he's sent off.
    Except for handball, where the law clearly states it has to be deliberate.
    Good point, that rule hasn't been changed away from 'deliberate'. Interpretation seems to have changed slightly to a 'motion towards the ball' or 'arm in unnatural position'... but I'm pretty sure the rule still states deliberate.

Also 'reckless' is literally the rule-book definition of a yellow card for those saying that reckless = red.

I should probably get out more.
  • Options
    It's just when I watch the footage and slow it right down and watch it slow mo frame by frame which to be fair to ref hasn't got. But in that motion Sols is looking at the ball and it goes away from him last split second and brushes the lads leg with his leg. But it is crazy how you can't really tackle anymore.
  • Options
    Looks like Solly deliberately brought his trailing leg through to catch the player from that footage.

No doubt for me he knew what he was doing.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It would have been reckless if his right had caught him but that foot was miles from their player. His left shin may have brushed the Oxford guy who went down as if shot. As with most refs at this level Ward reacted on what he thought happened as opposed to what he saw.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Why do you always seem to be having a pop at other fans on here? Especially after games? Some of your posts lately have been ridiculous and downright offsenive from clicking on your profile. What is your problem? I'm genuinely intrigued as to why you keep going off on one at the rest of us, claiming that everyone is fickle all the time.

I was not having a pop at fans for being upset about a bad result and bad performance I can see why they are upset. But what does offsenive mean. I know what offensive means but not offsenive.
    Ok mate, if you're so clever do you want to clarify what you mean about 'that thing' having two bells on her chest? Or why Scott Parker is a terrible father? Or perhaps what you meant by 'none of our fans would have the guts to say anything to KR or our players face' ?

I'm not sure you do.

Don't try and get smart mate your posts are absolutely awful, for the life of me have no idea why admin put up with you.

And yes, you were having a pop at fans saying if we had of won it would have all been happy faces. Let me ask you again why do you continuously have a go at our fans, PARTICULARLY AFTER A GAME, can you not handle your drink, is that it? Or do you just enjoy antagonising people on here?
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game, read some comments about it being a definite red and was intrigued. Watching the highlights (lol)... it was never a red, very harsh. Went for the ball, was a smidge late, sliding in along the ground, trailing leg catches player. No way a red.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Actually I am not convinced now we are gonna get it overturned as I think the rule states "has the ref made a clear obvious error?" and not necessarily using mitigating cercumstances like in a court. But maybe if it's a ban it should be one match. But sadly it won't.
  • Options

Ok mate, if you're so clever do you want to clarify what you mean about 'that thing' having two bells on her chest? Or why Scott Parker is a terrible father? Or perhaps what you meant by 'none of our fans would have the guts to say anything to KR or our players face' ?

I'm not sure you do.

Don't try and get smart mate your posts are absolutely awful, for the life of me have no idea why admin put up with you.

And yes, you were having a pop at fans saying if we had of won it would have all been happy faces. Let me ask you again why do you continuously have a go at our fans, PARTICULARLY AFTER A GAME, can you not handle your drink, is that it? Or do you just enjoy antagonising people on here?
    To be fair I don't I would have the bottle to tell Katrien she isn't very good at her job to her face. And I couldn't to Roland even if I tried because he hasn't been here since autumn 2014. And if I went to Sint Truiden I'm sure he doesn't sit by that window anymore having his lunch. He probably has it in a back room now.
  • Options
    If we have made an appeal does this mean that Solly is available for Bury regardless - And that if the ban is upheld it'll just begin from the next match? - As I swear this is what happened with Ben Hamer in our promotion year, i.e. we appealed his one match ban (which was upheld) but meant he was suspended for the FA Cup game against Fulham rather than our Sheffield matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If we have made an appeal does this mean that Solly is available for Bury regardless - And that if the ban is upheld it'll just begin from the next match? - As I swear this is what happened with Ben Hamer in our promotion year, i.e. we appealed his one match ban (which was upheld) but meant he was suspended for the FA Cup game against Fulham rather than our Sheffield matches.

I think that if you are appealing Saturday's red you are available on the Tuesday as there isn't enough time to review the appeal (receive it Monday morning and the game is Tuesday evening). A Tuesday red leaves A lot more time for it to be heard.

If for whatever reason they haven't reviewed it before Saturday, the player would be available
  • Options

I think that if you are appealing Saturday's red you are available on the Tuesday as there isn't enough time to review the appeal (receive it Monday morning and the game is Tuesday evening). A Tuesday red leaves A lot more time for it to be heard.

If for whatever reason they haven't reviewed it before Saturday, the player would be available
    Guess we'll find out in the Press Conference today
  • Options
    Deli Alli, now that' how to earn a red after ref rufuses you a foul.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Deli Alli, now that' how to earn a red after ref rufuses you a foul.

Just seen it. That was a very silly risk trying to chase a lost ball. He should stayed on his feet and tried to pull the players shirt or stayed on his feet and tripped him without lunging. He would then have only got a booking at worst. But as this is the Europa League, Deli will be able to play at the weekend for Spurs against Stoke on Sunday. He will be banned for at least one (if Eufa don't raise it) of Spurs' next games in Europe whether they find those 2 goals tonight or Spurs' first game(s) in Europe next season assuming they qualify or if changes before then the first game(s) in Europe of that club assuming they are involved. The ban only counts for European games and domestic League or Cup games in the clubs' respective countries. So Spurs will take a crumb of comfort he can play on Sunday. That is assuming he isn't also carrying domestic ban.
  • Options
    AddickFC81@statto thanks for your input. Was hoping for more irreverant comments.