Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mushroom - safe to eat?

2»

Comments

• Options

Fiiish said:

Serious question, why take the risk? What could the possible pay-off be for potentially poisoning yourself?

Typical townie
    If you know how to forage then fair enough. But if you're having to ask a football message board whether the mushroom is poisonous, well then you're probably safer off buying some quinoa and avocado.
  • Options
    I don't know but I think it might be this, in which case don't eat it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russula_emetica

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Serious question, why take the risk? What could the possible pay-off be for potentially poisoning yourself?

Typical townie
    If you know how to forage then fair enough. But if you're having to ask a football message board whether the mushroom is poisonous, well then you're probably safer off buying some quinoa and avocado.
    I'm only joking fisho
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Typical townie
    Grove Park?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Danepak said:

Danepak said:

Danepak said:

Genuine question.
    Wifey found this by the lake yesterday.
    Safe to eat without getting sick/going cuckoo?
    Can't seem to find a mushroom online which looks like this one.
    Approx 4 inch diameter.

Where is the lake?

Auckland, NZ
    Would still say its safe to eat field mushroom mate.
    Might give it a go. If all goes well, I'll know the outcome of the Bury game
    Your gonna wish the Mushroom was poisonous when you see the Bury result!
  • Options

Slip into Sue's trough at half time tomorrow and see what happens.

i shouldn't think there's mushroom for anything else.

apologies.
  • Options
    Not ones that grow in you lawn.
  • Options
    So... did you eat it?
  • Options
    I love mushrooms but as they cost a quid a punnet I cannot understand why anyone would take the risk of eating something they picked up on a walk unlless they were an expert. I'm boring I know!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You shouldn't eat it because it's an innie.
    They should be formed the opposite way "outlies"
    That's tonight's lesson (sponsored by Stella) concluded.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Stig said:

I don't know but I think it might be this, in which case don't eat it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russula_emetica

Highly unlikely that this species would have found its way to New Zealand from the Northern hemisphere.
    I would say that most (if not all) mushrooms in New Zealand would be entirely indigenous as they are so far from the nearest landfall......to find the answer you'd clearly have to ask a local who knows what they are talking about.....no way would you gamble on the outcome.
    If nothing else Danepak,try to find out and let us know, as I'm sure some of us would like to know the answer.
  • Options
    Czechs are great mushroom seekers. I showed it to my wife and after coming out with @i_b_b_o_r_g s gag ( not an original apparently) she pronounced it both old and dodgy. But she may have been talking about me.
  • Options
    Other than the safe ones you get in Amsterdam I hate mushrooms

Devils food
  • Options

Czechs are great mushroom seekers. I showed it to my wife and after coming out with @i_b_b_o_r_g s gag ( not an original apparently) she pronounced it both old and dodgy. But she may have been talking about me.

Can't believe how many lols it got, I thought it was a well known gag. The olduns are the best
  • Options

You shouldn't eat it because it's an innie.
    They should be formed the opposite way "outlies"
    That's tonight's lesson (sponsored by Stella) concluded.

Not only do the likes of chanterelle completely disprove your theory but mushrooms like the one pictured are at a mature stage. The have grown all the way through from an unopened cap (your more typical looking mushroom) to an open cap, the gills will also have changed colour to the chocolate brown it is now.
  • Options
    Mushrooms are a big deal here in Yunnan, some of the things I see at the market look insane, sadly, every mushroom season people die from eating some kind of mushroom that turned out to be toxic.

My friends wife got really ill last year having eaten a mushroom she thought she'd been eating all her life, it was in fact a slightly different strain, which made her really sick.

Be careful, don't fuck around with mushrooms.
  • Options
    There's not mushroom for error
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Nah, in the bin it went. I guess I'm not that adventurous after all.
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Can't you at least find out the name.....and also if it's poisonous, you have the picture?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017

Danepak said:

Can't you at least find out the name.....and also if it's poisonous, you have the picture?
    Got this response:
    This looks to be a field mushroom but I don't recommend eating any that have been found in urban habitats. Mushrooms have a habit of concentrating heavy metals.

Cheers Clive

From a Magic Mushroom forum (the only one that turned up, when I searched for mushroom forum), where they happened to have a section for non mindfucking mushrooms, I got the following:

It is upturned in that fashion due to extreme maturity. Usually you would smell an unidentified Agaricus species as part of the road to determining it's edibility, but that mushroom probably doesn't smell very fresh no matter what it is!
  • Options
    Mmmmm......interesting but it seems like they didn't actually name it?
  • Options
    Sorry, got this response too from the Magic Mushroom site:

Something like Agaricus campestris a.k.a. the field mushroom imo. Nice and tasty, really similar to the mushrooms you buy in the supermarket.

The only poisonous lookalike is Agaricus xanthodermus, or 'the yellow stainer.' The base turns a strong yellow colour when cut, and it apparently smells kind of like a fresh band-aid. I've never come across one in all my mushroom hunting.
  • Options
    Thanks for that.....all the best.