Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sounds of the 60s

Anyone else a fan of this great show? Today is Brian Matthew's last ever edition and it's not an exaggeration to say my Saturday mornings will never be quite the same again. Along with watching Charlton, this was an integral part of my Saturday routine for years. Brilliantly eclectic mix of artists and great music. The good news is the show is not disappearing completely - but moving back in the schedules to 6am with Tony Blackburn at the helm who I think will do a decent job.

Comments

• Yes it's a shame. You are right part of Saturday.
    I do not support the change to 6 am. I complained to the BBC. The reply was that I can listen when ai want on the i-player. Shows how they see it. Sounds of the 60s fans using the i-player!
    Tony Blackburn a genuine 60s DJ, along with Johnny Walker.
  • Like the show very much, Matthews will be much missed as his knowledge is/was incredible, imo Walker would provide a good replacement.
  • Listening today and will miss him although not quite sure why he played the Supremes singing in German.Agree with Billy Bonds - would have preferred the new show with Tony Blackburn to have kept the same time slot
  • Listening now................sad day.

Good luck in the future Brian.
  • Just listened to Scott Walker - IMO he had one of the best voices of the sixties
  • Listening today and will miss him although not quite sure why he played the Supremes singing in German.Agree with Billy Bonds - would have preferred the new show with Tony Blackburn to have kept the same time slot

For me Ray the fact he played The Supremes singing in German was part of the chemistry which added/adds to the show
  • Just listened to Scott Walker - IMO he had one of the best voices of the sixties

Agreed - magnificent voice
  • Listening now. Sad day although BM has been off air for a while hasn't he.

Dumbing down of older music on 2, moving it to 6am. What's it being replaced with, possibly the annoying Jo Whiley trying to be too cool in her Hunter wellies?
  • Revised Saturday Schedule:

Dermot O'Leary 8-10
    Graham Norton 10-1
    Zoe Ball 3-6

I personally can't stand Zoe Ball. Whenever she stands in for Ken Bruce, as soon as I hear her voice, I have to turn radio off. Probably just me though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Will miss him now on Saturday mornings.
  • Surprised more wasn't made of this as in my eyes Brian Matthew is a legend popping up on Beatles docs talking to them etc. I remember one morning he played some old early 60's crooner followed by Velvet Undergrounds Venus In Firs which sums the show up. Accompanied me to many early start going North to see the addicts.
  • Almost a right of passage listening to him for the past 27 years. I managed to catch the last show while driving up the M20 today.

I'm pleased the BBC gave him the right to a last show after the debacle about his health.

Will certainly be missed in this household on Saturday mornings.

• Such a great group the Kinks and Ray Davies is surely one of the greatest song writers ever?

• Such a great group the Kinks and Ray Davies is surely one of the greatest song writers ever?

Go to bed you silly old git
  • Music was my first love and it will be my last
  • On the 60s theme; last night saw the following in concert.....The Ivy League, The Fortunes, Herman's Hermits, The Swinging Blue Jeans, New Amen Corner and Chris Farlowe. All were superb.
  • Blimey, wasn't expecting to see a Sounds of the 60s thread here! I only discovered that show a few years ago, and it became a treat if I had to be up on a Saturday morning - really enjoyed listening to Brian Matthew, probably the last of the old-school broadcasters on the radio. There was an amazing clip played this morning of him chatting with George Harrison on some old Light Programme show - you can't replace a man who's been around and has done so much, and they should have used so much more of that stuff. He's been treated really badly for someone that's been with the BBC since the 50s.

He nearly built a theatre in Orpington (where he still lives) with Brian Epstein...
    It was Epstein who invited Brian on a trip to America with the Beatles. Later on, they talked about a subject close to both their hearts - the theatre. "I dreamed up the idea of building a theatre in this area (Orpington, Kent) and the council agreed. They gave me a potential site at a place called High Elms, which is a huge woodland estate, and they would charge me a peppercorn rent. We could have built it for £24,000 - it's unbelievable now when you think about it. Brian said he'd arrange the raising of the funds and I'd run it. In the meantime, the theatre in Bromley burnt down and it was put about that I'd set fire to it. Absolute nonsense! It was raised in council meetings - I had a friend on the council. They said 'we don't want this Matthew chap building a theatre because we'll have our new one' - and their new one cost £3 million."