Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Sadly Historic And Prophetic Day For Charlton Athletic?

Since the inception of our great Club, I would defy anyone to find a League starting Xl to beat today's so far as career appearances for us are concerned.:

Rudd - 25
Konsa - 22
Bauer - 45
Teixeira - 31
Page - 5
Holmes - 22
Foster-Caskey - 6
Aribo - 11
Mavididi - 5
Byrne - 5
Novak - 21

That's less than 200 appearances between the lot of them. Solly has more than but if it wasn't for his "achilles heel" he wouldn't still be with us either. Or JJ who is only on the bench to keep the others warm.

So what these are only stats. But these are stats that sum up all that is wrong at the moment.

Fans need a team that they can relate to - imagine asking a young lad or girl "who's your favourite player?" - he or she probably wouldn't even be able to name three or four of that lot let alone have a favourite. For me, growing up if you asked me, it might have been King Arthur one game, for another it would be Killer or Flash or Paddy or Bob C or Phil W or Pea Wee or Big Ship or Richie B etc etc. Yes I accept that times are different now and players move far more than they did in the 70s. But if you fill the side with Championship cast offs and injury prone journeymen on short or even, in some cases long term contracts and youngsters not ready for the first team in the hope that one might make the sales in the next window, then you will never be successful.

It must also be difficult for the players too as they don't know each other either so to expect any level of an understanding is virtually an impossibility. Four of our six midfielders/forwards probably started their first game together today - no pre-season friendlies to do that either. Robinson will argue that he is re-building. But half of this team probably won't be with us next season - and neither will he in all probability. And that is why we find ourselves where we are. With another Manager happy to "evolve" the team on a shoestring and even more so with the guaranteed pay off for less than six months work.

We now resemble a non League Club not a full time professional outfit. And getting to the National League will be Roland and Katy's greatest ever "achievement" given their definition of "improvement". Don't believe me? Luton, in 2007, when in the Championship, probably never thought that they would be playing in the Conference a little over two years later either. So why should we be any different now?

Comments

• How many would the team that started Powell's League one winning team have had?

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    BWP
    Hayes
  • Pedro45 said:

How many would the team that started Powell's League one winning team have had?

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    BWP
    Hayes

my thoughts exactly .. it's not what you've got it's what you do with it .. and Robinson has not got a clue .. he's a blabbering chancer .. AND, Ajose the one proven striker to be signed by us in the recent past goes out on loan and scores twice today .. 4321 .. dusty bin .. Robinson, just resign
  • Fear not. Robinson has assured us all will be wonderful next season, so that's alright.
  • edited February 2017
    Pedro45 said:

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    BWP
    Hayes

I do get the point you are making but, if you read to the end, you would see that I wasn't defending Robinson (I certainly don't rate him) but making the point that the constant changing of manager has resulted in the situation where the constant changing of managers has resulted in not only no continuity but also the purchase of nothing but "here today/gone tomorrow" players. In fact, five of our side (Byrne, Page, Aribo, Forster-Caskey and Mavididi) had started 27 games between them i.e. an average of 5 each for those first 32 matches.

The League 1 winning starting X1 not only had enjoyed the benefit of a pre season together but were better players - good enough to play at this level and beyond in most cases. You only have to look at how many appearances that staring line up made that season to confirm this:

Hamer (41)
    Solly (44)
    Morrison (45)
    Taylor (41)
    Wiggins (45)
    Stephens (30)
    Hollands (43)
    Jackson (36)
    Wagstaff (34)
    BWP (42)
    Hayes (19)

We also supplemented that side with the wonderful signing of Kermy (36). There simply is no comparison between that squad and our current one.

So, in summary, all I am saying is that we have no chance of any success if we keep changing the manager and buying sub-standard players that every new incumbent accepts simply because he has to if he wants that "pay off" when it all, inevitably, goes belly up.
  • Pedro45 said:

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    BWP
    Hayes

Being pedantic Elliot not Hamer was the goalkeeper to start in Powell's league 1 winning team and he played in excess of 100 games for us
  • LenGlover said:

Pedro45 said:

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    BWP
    Hayes

Being pedantic Elliot not Hamer was the goalkeeper to start in Powell's league 1 winning team and he played in excess of 100 games for us
    Pretty sure Elliot didn't play that season. He was around for the first few games before leaving but didn't play. Certainly didn't play the first match of the season I remember it clearly.
  • LenGlover said:

Pedro45 said:

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    BWP
    Hayes

Pretty sure Elliot didn't play that season. He was around for the first few games before leaving but didn't play. Certainly didn't play the first match of the season I remember it clearly.
    He played the first 3 or 4 games.
  • C_A_F_C said:

LenGlover said:

Pedro45 said:

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    BWP
    Hayes

You are correct. Just looked it up. Weirdly dunno how I got that wrong. I remember that Bournemouth game clearly as we went with some Bournemouth supporting family and I could have sworn that I said the words 'this Hamer must be good if he's starting ahead of Eliot'. Must be getting confused.
  • C_A_F_C said:

LenGlover said:

Pedro45 said:

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Wiggins
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Jackson
    Wagstaff
    BWP
    Hayes

Having checked he did indeed play the first 4 games that season with Hamer taking over for the Carling Cup Cup game against Reading and all bar one of the League games thereafter. John Sullivan started that game but also replaced Hamer during three other matches - one when Hamaer was sent off and twice when he went off injured.

So the likes of Elliot, JJ, Wagstaff, BWP and Solly were around the previous season and would have surpassed the number of appearances between them - albeit only just. But, as I say, that isn't the major point I am trying to make.

• In all fairness it's probably like that at quite a few clubs. So much chopping and changing.
  • Sponsored links:

• In all fairness it's probably like that at quite a few clubs. So much chopping and changing.

They do but the ones that are successful are the ones that employ a decent manager and back that man. We have done neither under this regime. Fleetwood are currently in 3rd place and 19 points above us. Millwall are unbeaten in 15 and have let in just 5 goals in that time and are in the quarter finals of the FA Cup. Seriously, should we really be that far behind them?

They do but the ones that are successful are the ones that employ a decent manager and back that man. We have done neither under this regime. Fleetwood are currently in 3rd place and 19 points above us. Millwall are unbeaten in 15 and have let in just 5 goals in that time and are in the quarter finals of the FA Cup. Seriously, should we really be that far behind them?
    No not really.