Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dave Thomas

I presume people remember Dave Thomas the QPR winger that night. Very sad story.

(I refer to the Charlton v QPR game mentioned in the Let's give the lie to Duchatelet thread).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2817830/dave-thomas-guide-dog-qpr-burnley/

Comments

• That is very sad.
    The goal that he scored in that cup replay was definitely one of the best I've ever seen at The Valley.
    That was a massive crowd that night, much bigger than the official attendance.
  • I recall seeing him discussing this on a TV documentary some time ago, can't remember when or which channel .. it must be terrible knowing that eventually you will become blind .. all the very best Dave
  • Very sad story. I remember him as the flying winger with the socks rolled down by his ankles.

I hope that he gets all the support he needs to be able to continue to live a fulfilling life.
  • That is very sad.
    The goal that he scored in that cup replay was definitely one of the best I've ever seen at The Valley.

Yes, I remember it well (I think). He was on the left wing attacking the away end & cut inside at speed and rifled a low shot from about 25/30 yards, across the goal into the far corner.

I lived near The Standard at the time and remember it was quicker to walk than drive due to the gridlocked traffic.

QPR were top of L1 at the time and the crowd announced was over 32,000, when we used to get about 5,000.
  • That is very sad.

Yes, I remember it well (I think). He was on the left wing attacking the away end & cut inside at speed and rifled a low shot from about 25/30 yards, across the goal into the far corner.

I lived near The Standard at the time and remember it was quicker to walk than drive due to the gridlocked traffic.

QPR were top of L1 at the time and the crowd announced was over 32,000, when we used to get about 5,000.
    I think that you're right about cutting in from the left but my memory tells me that it wasn't a low shot but more like a a curler from 30/35 yards inside the far post high up. However, it's over 40 years ago so I could be wrong.
    I'm sure that the crowd was understated that night, as was always the case with the big games in those days. Even the East Terrace felt full.
  • I think that QPR league cup game is a definite contender for the biggest crowd I've ever been in at The Valley.

I remember a cup tie against Palace which we drew (winning the replay at Selhurst thanks to the late Ray Treacy) c1968 but I think the QPR crowd was bigger...
  • edited February 2017
    LenGlover said:

I think that QPR league cup game is a definite contender for the biggest crowd I've ever been in at The Valley.

I remember a cup tie against Palace which we drew (winning the replay at Selhurst thanks to the late Ray Treacy) c1968 but I think the QPR crowd was bigger...

Biggest I've ever been in. The Spurs and Chelsea games around the same time were both 30,000.

Spurs was 30,706 I believe (saddo).

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=261&team=Charlton Athletic
  • LenGlover said:

I think that QPR league cup game is a definite contender for the biggest crowd I've ever been in at The Valley.

The league game against Palace that year got a bigger attendance than the cup game, 32.7k against 30.5k.
    The games that I remember for large attendances were the League Cup game against West Ham in 76 and the league game against Spurs in 77, when Flash scored a hat-trick.
  • edited February 2017

LenGlover said:

The league game against Palace that year got a bigger attendance than the cup game, 32.7k against 30.5k.
    The games that I remember for large attendances were the League Cup game against West Ham in 76 and the league game against Spurs in 77, when Flash scored a hat-trick.
    And the 4-0 v Chelsea in either 76 or 78 when they started fires around the Covered End & demolished The Valley Club & turnstiles.
  • LenGlover said:

And the 4-0 v Chelsea in either 76 or 78 when they started fires around the Covered End & demolished The Valley Club & turnstiles.
    That was a great game. Another Flash hat-trick I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

40 years ago. Jesus.

What price a forward line of Flash, Killer and Paddy today?

Great memories of Charlton teams from around 1972 to '77, especially those Friday night games.
  • LenGlover said:

40 years ago. Jesus.

Great memories of Charlton teams from around 1972 to '77, especially those Friday night games.
    We can only dream of a forward line like that. Never went short of entertainment with those three.
    Not sure about fond memories of 72/73 and 73/74. After relegation in 71/72, those two years were miserable. But 74/75 onwards I remember with fondness.
  • LenGlover said:

40 years ago. Jesus.

We can only dream of a forward line like that. Never went short of entertainment with those three.
    Not sure about fond memories of 72/73 and 73/74. After relegation in 71/72, those two years were miserable. But 74/75 onwards I remember with fondness.
    I was really thinking of Theo.....impossible task but he went about his job like the professional he is.

He was the man that found Flash in Spurs reserves, Paddy at Barnet and Killer at Luton.

Miserable I know, but don't remember many 0 0 draws and there was always plenty of gallows humour amongst those of of us scattered around the east terrace and the covered end.
  • Was at the QPR midweek game, Dad took me after school, was the only game we ever went together to The Valley, I went before and after but he never bothered. Biggest crowd for me including the Spurs and Chelsea games of the same era
  • edited February 2017

I was really thinking of Theo.....impossible task but he went about his job like the professional he is.

He was the man that found Flash in Spurs reserves, Paddy at Barnet and Killer at Luton.

Miserable I know, but don't remember many 0 0 draws and there was always plenty of gallows humour amongst those of of us scattered around the east terrace and the covered end.

I really liked Theo Foley and I think that he was harshly treated. Used to see a fair bit of him at the Roan, as his sons went there, one in the year above and the other in the year in two below. He was always friendly and approachable.
    Not sure how many people realise that it was him that identified and brought in those three Charlton heroes.

• Not quite sure what happened above mistrollingin!
  • Very harshly treated as you rightly say.

Andy Nelson inherited a good squad.

Never surprised when Theo went on to much better things at Millwall and Arsenal, both with George Graham.
  • Very harshly treated as you rightly say.

Andy Nelson inherited a good squad.

Never surprised when Theo went on to much better things at Millwall and Arsenal, both with George Graham.

He certainly did well for himself and deservedly so.