Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHN HAMPSHIRE .. R I P

Just heard on the radio that John died recently .. not that well known but played a few tests and one dayers, umpired for a while and a one time President of Yorkshire c c c .. a real cricketing man passes at age 76

Comments

• Options
    RIP. An excellent Yorkshire batsman in the "Boycott" team.
  • Options
    wiki tells me that against the West Indies in 1969, he was the first Englishman to score a hundred on debut at Lords .. he was then dropped for the rest of the series .. such were the politics of English cricket during that era
  • Options
    RIP John Became a very good umpire after his playing days
  • Options
    Excellent batsman in a quality Yorkshire team and highly respected umpire for many years afterwards.
    RIP.
  • Options
    I remember bowling to him on the outfield at Canterbury back in the late 70s.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Very useful player and unlucky to be around at a time when we had some decent batsmen. Even so he was probably short changed in terms of test appearances. He could bowl some useful leg spin too and as said above became a respected umpire later.

RIP
  • Options

I recall having a knock up with my Dad on the outfield at the Oval in the mid-70s when Bernard Julien, the ex-Kent all-rounder, stopped and told me I'd play for Kent one day. He was wrong.
    Still, at least my old opening partner in the colts, Trevor Ward, did go on to make it, though he did normally outscore me 3 to 1 on the odd occasion I didn't run him out!
    There are hopes that the youngest son of our own Addick Addict could yet go on to make the grade and, having already shown his ability in a proper game at the Oval, he has a good start on me and his Dad!
  • Options
    A good player. RIP
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I recall having a knock up with my Dad on the outfield at the Oval in the mid-70s when Bernard Julien, the ex-Kent all-rounder, stopped and told me I'd play for Kent one day. He was wrong.
    Still, at least my old opening partner in the colts, Trevor Ward, did go on to make it, though he did normally outscore me 3 to 1 on the odd occasion I didn't run him out!
    There are hopes that the youngest son of our own Addick Addict could yet go on to make the grade and, having already shown his ability in a proper game at the Oval, he has a good start on me and his Dad!
    That possibly makes me a year older than you (I'm 50) because I think Trevor Ward was in the year below me (I was with Middlesex Colts & Schools). Him and Ramprakash were the stand out young batsmen of that era and I think Ward was sponsored by Gunn & Moore back then! (pretty rare for a 15 year old kid).

I only played against the pair of them once....for Middlesex U16 v South of England U15 at Caterham School. Ward nearly killed me with a pull shot first ball of the game (I was short-leg) but then got cleaned out 2nd ball. Ramprakash came in and he got cleaned out 2nd ball too! Four balls into the match, they were 4-2 with the cream of Young England's batting gone. Next time I saw Ramprakash bat, he got the MOM at Lords in the 1988 Nat West Final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thanks MLC. We will have to see regarding Seb but one thing that is for certain is that I never got anywhere near your heights as a cricketer let alone those achieved to date by the boy. Having said that, I have always said to him "do as I say not as I did". Given that he will be 14 this week I think he might stop listening soon enough!
  • Options
    RIP