Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Friend Having An Absolute Mare

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, Friend seemed to have a very poor game. From what I saw in the highlights, there were 5 key incidents in the match. The Bournemouth penalty seems to be the only one he got right.

The United penalty looked very harsh. The Surman sending-off also looked like a bit of a mess (he clearly forgot he’d already booked him, as he didn’t show red til a minute or two after the second yellow, and he might not have given a second yellow if he’d remembered.

I didn’t see his positioning for the Ibra elbow, but for the Mings stamp, he had just signalled advantage and was watching the ball; based on the TV clip I saw, I’m pretty sure he didn’t see it, though perhaps his assistant did. It’s not inconceivable that Friend didn’t see either incident, though for his assistants not to (or not tell him they’d seen) either appears quite unlikely.

For me, if he'd only missed the off-the-ball incidents, it wouldn't be so bad. But (for him and his ARs as a unit) to combine missing both of those with the penalty and Surman red isn't really good enough.

I’d be very disappointed if I made that many big mistakes in the Sunday League games I’ll be doing tomorrow, and I’m only a level 9 (trainee) ref. So I imagine any Premier League ref (with the benefit of a radio to professional assistants – at our level, obviously we don’t have radios, and we have to use club linesmen) who makes that many errors in the same match would be disappointed.
  • Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

Don't have satellite but You Tube videos already uploaded. Great tackle and I don't see that "stamp" as intentional - his eyes are following the ball throughout IMO.

What? Have another look. He has a quick glance to see where he his on the ground and then have some of that.
    You Tube may not be the best place to look - I'll have to wait until MOTD tonight now - that might change my point of view.
    Now had the opportunity to see it and I'll stick with the original view - not guilty of deliberately stamping on him deliberately. Ibrahimovic on the other hand is banged to rights for the elbow (and for going over like a big girl's blouse when Surman "pushed" him).
    So did he accidently stamp on him deliberately, or deliberately stamp on him accidently ?!
    Doh! a bit late when I wrote that. Not guilty of deliberately stamping on him..
  • Options
    Didn't see it yesterday but did Mings try to apologise after or not? I don't believe it was a deliberate stamp but I do reckon it was a deliberate elbow
  • Options
    As a side line, it was good to see Jason Tindall, our former apprentice, being interviewed in his position as Bournemouth assistant manager.
  • Options
    Quality bit of reffing to give Burnley that penalty yesterday as well. (Not Kevin Friend obviously).
  • Options
    Deliberate stamp, deliberate elbow.
  • Options
    As someone else has already mentioned, he gave united one of the softest penalties I've seen.

When will refs learn that you can't boot a ball at someone half a yard away and then claim handball!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    My guess is that although Ibrahimovic claimed he didn't see the replay, the staff had and let him know that Mings' challenge could be seen as accidental whereas his elbow could not and therefore it became damage limitation on his part in the post game interview.

As Jeff Stelling said on soccer sat, "expect a few weeks holiday Zlatan"
  • Options

Deliberate stamp, deliberate elbow.

Yep. Both of them deserve a lengthy ban.
  • Options
    Struggling to believe that it's a deliberate stamp on his head. Surely, surely not?

I may have made this up but didn't Mings do lots of amazing charity/community work while at Ipswich? He doesn't really seem the type - and I'm not sure even the dirtiest of players would deliberately stamp on a head.

Maybe that's naive and I have too much faith!

On the other hand, the elbow definitely does look deliberate.

That's not an anti-Zlatan/United thing because I like the guy, he's entertaining. I'm just really not sure I can buy that a player would actually deliberately do that to someone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rooney's statement amused me, according to him he saw Mings stamp on Ibrahimovic's head, but did not see the elbow as he was crossing the ball from the other side. Well Mr Rooney, how did you see the stamp when you were obviously facing the other way appealing to the ref for the Ming tackle that flattened you, and unless a player was in your way you would have been looking straight at the elbow incident. A touch of the Wenger eyesight there I think
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The Mings stamp was, on balance, probably, accidental but I can't help thinking he deliberately chose to land nearer Zlatan than he had to, and ended up touching him...

Zlatan's elbow was of course deliberate. No excuses for that, though I can understand why he might have been angry, and believed that the Mings incident was deliberate.

Surman must wonder how he was the one who got red after all that, especially as his first booking was very harsh!
  • Options

Struggling to believe that it's a deliberate stamp on his head. Surely, surely not?

I may have made this up but didn't Mings do lots of amazing charity/community work while at Ipswich? He doesn't really seem the type - and I'm not sure even the dirtiest of players would deliberately stamp on a head.

Maybe that's naive and I have too much faith!

On the other hand, the elbow definitely does look deliberate.

That's not an anti-Zlatan/United thing because I like the guy, he's entertaining. I'm just really not sure I can buy that a player would actually deliberately do that to someone?

I am struggling to give Mings the benefit of doubt for two reasons - one because he clearly looked at Ibra so knew exactly where he was and two because surely there is a "duty of care". I seriously cannot think of doing anything more dangerous apart from kicking an opponent in the head.

So, I am going to say that whilst he might not have consciously said "I am going to stamp on his head", he knew where his head was but wasn't sufficiently concerned to ensure that he jumped over him.

What Ibra did was also despicable.

• Options
    The perils of slow-motion. This incident should only be judged in real-time.
  • Options

Quality bit of reffing to give Burnley that penalty yesterday as well. (Not Kevin Friend obviously).

That was ridiculous. Watching it at normal speed I thought straightaway that it was the forward who handled it.
    But both refs were apparently out the night before on a stag do.
  • Options

That was ridiculous. Watching it at normal speed I thought straightaway that it was the forward who handled it.
    They had been at a 3 day stag do in Marbella earlier in the week.
  • Options

As someone else has already mentioned, he gave united one of the softest penalties I've seen.

When will refs learn that you can't boot a ball at someone half a yard away and then claim handball!

Agreed, thought that got lost in the shuffle of awful decisions. The player was flying through the air, and from a couple yards away the ball is kicked against his arm and the penalty is given. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

The sooner we have video replays the better.

No.
    Why not? Works brilliantly in cricket,rugby union and rugby league. Not to mention line calls at Wimbledon.
    Agree, some people just can't handle change I guess. The game is to fast and the sport has too much money involved for wrong decisions to be made. It can only be for the better.
    Video replays should only be used for matters of fact and retrospective punishment when some dirty git is sly. What if someone scorres a goal from a corner and should be a goal kick. Were be at the ground till 6 o clock. And who decides what if their wrong. Punters argue about decisions all the time.
  • Options

They had been at a 3 day stag do in Marbella earlier in the week.
    It makes a change for the players to be the sober ones, and the refs the one who'd been out on the lash!
  • Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

Don't have satellite but You Tube videos already uploaded. Great tackle and I don't see that "stamp" as intentional - his eyes are following the ball throughout IMO.

What? Have another look. He has a quick glance to see where he his on the ground and then have some of that.
    You Tube may not be the best place to look - I'll have to wait until MOTD tonight now - that might change my point of view.
    SIX game ban for BOTH.

Needs to be fair.

That said that is one set of rules for Manchester United.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

SIX game ban for BOTH.

Needs to be fair.

That said that is one set of rules for Manchester United.
    It is Man U as you said, Mings will get 5 or 6 game ban, Zlatan will get 3