Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton careers ended by injury

As we are insufficiently depressed already, I thought I would start this cheerful thread:

Which players had their Charlton careers effectively ended by a bad injury (including those who may have returned but never at the same standard?)
Gary Rowett
David Whyte
Igor Vetokele
Ahmed Kashi (probably)
Mark Robson ?
Matty Holmes
Grahame Tutt
Saša Ilić
Yassin Moutaouakil
Kelly Youga
Greg Shields
Martin Pringle

I am sure there are lots more.

Comments

• Options
    Richard Rufus
  • Options
    Might as well add Andy Hunt and Mendonca to those. Both had to retire earlier than usual due to illness (in Hunt's case) or injury (Mendonca - back problem).
  • Options
    Svetoslav Todorov
  • Options
    Peter Reeves
  • Options
    Even with injuries they could probably have played better than the lot we have today
  • Options
    i would say more of a disability - johnson tourettes
  • Options
    What about "career never started because of injuries" - i.e. Cory Gibbs
  • Options
    Mark Fish really struggled in his last few games for us. Didn't he get injured falling through a glass table?
  • Options
    Terry Naylor
  • Options
    Cyril Davies
    Mark Penfold
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Peter Reeves

Very sad when Peter had to retire, I think he became a milkman after
  • Options
    Kenny Chamberlain after breaking leg at Tottenham.
  • Options
    Gary Poole, scorer of a 30 yard beauty at Loftus Road on his debut.

Don't think David Whyte's Charlton career was ended by injury, was it? I thought Curbs just released him from his contract. He definitely played for Ipswich against us, and I think had a short spell at Southend as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Grahan Tutt. Awful injury to his eye v Sunderland at Roker Park that ended his career at a ridiculously young age. I have no doubts that he would have gone on to be a goalkeeping great.

Edit: Just seen Tutt on the original list, doh
  • Options
    Mendonca
  • Options
    Paul Gorman
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:

Paul Gorman

Just saw he played for Welling after, thought he finished with us after knee injury.
  • Options
    Geoff Scott - managed just two games after signing from Birmingham, before being injured in the second, against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. I was at his comeback game for the reserves. Lasted five minutes and that was that. He played a few games in the lower leagues, but that injury at the Bridge virtually ended his career,
    Iain Ferguson joined us on loan from Hearts. Got injured in his first and only game - never saw him again.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Maybe I was confusing him with Rowett? How did Rowett finish with us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MrLargo said:

Maybe I was confusing him with Rowett? How did Rowett finish with us?
    Injury finished him too after just a few games.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Charlie Revell, my old sports teacher at Graham Road in the early 1960's, had to retire through injury around 1950.
  • Options
    Harold Hobbis. England international (winger) just before WWII. Broken leg, never played again. In the 60s and beyond, first landlord of The Valley pub upon it's opening
  • Options
    Who can forget Jimmy Loveridge
  • Options
    Tommy Caton
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Harold Hobbis. England international (winger) just before WWII. Broken leg, never played again. In the 60s and beyond, first landlord of The Valley pub upon it's opening

I think he broke his leg at Highbury. My Grandad told me the story of it happening and he clearly heard his leg break.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Think you could include Grant Basey. Never really recovered after he was taken out badly by a Plymouth player. Career went downhill and has just announced his retirement.

Was it not Blizzard for Bristol Rovers?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Wiggins never recovered from Zaha turning him inside out
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Think you could include Grant Basey. Never really recovered after he was taken out badly by a Plymouth player. Career went downhill and has just announced his retirement.

It was Blizzard of Bristol Rovers that done Basey.
  • Options
    John Pender