Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greatest comebacks of all time

2»

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Mike Bushell speaking on BBC Breakfast has just compared Charlton's comeback against Huddersfield in 1957 to Barcalona last night against Paris St Germain, would you ever believe that we could be compared to the greatest club in the world?

How can you compare Charlton with Charlton? If you think the Catalan national team, with added buy ins, are the greatest club, why are you here? :wink:

I detest Barcelona and every club like them with every fibre of my body...
    How come?
    I hate all clubs that draw most of their support from outside their catchment area, and market themselves to people in my club's catchment area, Jimmy.
  • Options
    They posted it last night on Twitter, I immediately set them straight though, by tweeting about the 7-6 game.
  • Options

7-6 v Huddersfield , 5 - 1 down with 22 minutes left and only had 10 men. Barcelona beat that !!

Nor did we have three of the best attacking players on the planet
  • Options
    George Cole has to be up there?
  • Options
    Sometimes I think I am in a minority on this forum in that I am a massive fan of football. No other sport comes close. I rarely see a live game these days; I can't afford it and even £5 is too much to pay to watch the shit that Charlton play never mind the off field situation.

The sheer quality of football I see played on TV by the top clubs in the Premiership and across Europe in the Champions league (not just by 4 or 5 clubs but 15 to 20) is on a different planet to what was played 30, 20 or even 10 years ago.

It was an astonishing performance by Barcelona last night. Only someone as deluded as Donald Trump could claim it was not or that the result was fixed.

I am always reading phrases like 'football is dead' , 'football has been ruined by too much money' on here. But the overwhelming evidence suggests quite the opposite. The popularity of the sport across the World has never been bigger.

I consider myself to be a football fan first and foremost. If Charlton suddenly decided to become a Rugby club they would mean absolutely nothing to me from that point on. But I would remain a big football fan. I sometimes think there are some Charlton fans who would still follow Charlton as a Rugby club.
  • Options
    I am a massive fan of football. Not a massive fan of 15 to 20 clubs accross an entire continent having it all and the rest not getting a look in. Life would be dull if we were all the same.
  • Options

Losing 3-0 away at Newcastle and coming back to win 4-3 back in (around) 1991. Fantastic comeback, with the added bonus that we didn't need a Suarez Rolling about on the floor feigning injury to get a penalty.
    Added bonus for me is that I was there.

That game is in my top 5 games that I have been too
  • Options
    Just read that in the AFCON a few years ago, Mali came from 4-0 down with 11 minutes to go, to draw 4-4. That's pretty impressive!
  • Options

Last night was not a "comeback" it was a "buyback".

Second penalty was typical Suarez, but you don't buy:

Two awful one-on-one misses
    That free-kick
    Inability to defend last-minute set-piece
    Absurd own-goal
    General choking
  • Options
    What makes last night less of a comeback compared to most others is the fact that Barcelona had a whole match to complete it

Had they won 5-0 last night then I reckon the press would still be coming out with the "Greatest Comeback" nonsense
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Does every feckin team that plays in red AND blue get an automatic two penalty kick start?
  • Options

What makes last night less of a comeback compared to most others is the fact that Barcelona had a whole match to complete it

Had they won 5-0 last night then I reckon the press would still be coming out with the "Greatest Comeback" nonsense

Obviously, as they would've still been the first side to ever overturn a 4 goal 1st leg deficit in the CL.
  • Options
    It was a great come back, but there were two dodgy penalties in it which detracted from the achievement I feel, although not the spectacle. I do think Football currently has a system, and has had for years, where cheats like Suarez are rewarded for being cheats. Why should we tell our kids not to cheat, when it is clearly an advantage to do so!
  • Options
    First penalty was completely a penalty
  • Options
    What a shame, great little winger on his day, seems like his life really went down the toilet after leaving us
  • Options
    The greatest comeback is yet to happen. It will occur around this time next year when the team assembled by Meire and her SMT secure the title with 10 games to go and the Covered End Stand as one with a Tifo display which spells out we forgive you.

Or perhaps not.
  • Options
    This comeback of Barcelona really does not make me think its one for the history books.

own goal

4 goals from dead balls

scramble in the box that doesn't even hit back of the net.

scoring 3 in 7 mins is great but they were pretty lucky to be fair.

PSG just royally screwed up.....aided by the ref.
  • Options
    Slight mistake in the headline, saying it was at Huddersfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

6-1 is an impressive scoreline, but as comebacks go two matches, three weeks apart is nothing like as good a comeback as scoring seven second half goals.

and with only ten men.